Author Topic: Minimizing the Gaming Physical Footprint of Your Home and Life  (Read 9822 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Minimizing the Gaming Physical Footprint of Your Home and Life
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 09:57:27 AM »
If i'm honest, while I don't have a list of my library, it's probably been a wash regarding reducing my overall library.  I did end up just giving in and taking a box of games to the local shop rather than try to price them out, mostly because I valued getting it out of the house and my time more than trying to list each individual thing.
That’s pretty much how I feel. Eventually, it’ll be a wash because I’ll end up replacing the games/accessories I got rid of with new games/accessories so the process will simply start all over again. I got really into video game collecting back in 2007. I purged most of that from my collection. I had a Sega Saturn, for example. I sold it after finally admitting I wasn’t willing to spend the money for the one game I cared about trying: Panzer Dragoon Saga.

I’m not concerned about making back any of the money I spent on the items I want to purge from my collection. I’d probably take them to Goodwill or a mom and pop store. I have no interest in selling on eBay or Amazon. It’s more about clearing space and minimizing the amount of things in my life. I don’t believe it’s necessary to keep games I double dipped. I can keep the latest and best version.
I just built a full-size (technically 5" wider so it can fit a 32" LCD) arcade cabinet (original Mortal Kombat body)...am I doing it right?
I know you’re joking, but yeah, I think you are. The point is to keep only the things you really want. You’ve shown that you’re a big Mortal Kombat fan. This is exactly what you should be doing.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:22 AM »
I've been seeing Disney VHS tapes at Goodwill for $0.49. I almost bought the whole collection this month. I'm this close to being a video store.

Strike fast - they'll be back in the vault before you know it!

I spent some time at the end of the year tidying. Didn't get rid of much stuff, but found that having things properly organized really helps. I do hope that "out of sight" doesn't lead to some of my things being "out of mind"... but if that does happen then it's probably a sign that I don't need to keep them around anyway.

At some point, I'd kind of like to clean out my Wii U collection. There are a handful that I consider "keepers", but also a whole bunch that I'd be content to play through once and get rid of. Hard to say if I'll have enough time this year to finish them, though.

My biggest improvement from 2018 was cutting back on my board games, which were taking a lot more room to store. I also managed to greatly reduce my gaming (both physical and digital) purchases, which bodes well for the coming year.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
Storing games definitely put them out of mind for me. I forgot I had some things in my collection. With that in mind, if I didn’t know I had something, I probably don’t need it.

In the last year, I’ve been making wiser purchasing decisions. The only $60 game I bought but didn’t get around to yet was Octopath Traveler, and I still plan to. I’ve canceled several preorders, and I’m really glad I did. I’ve basically been playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate exclusively since it launched. All other games would have gone unplayed. This year, I have two crowdfunded games coming out this year that are already paid for. Otherwise, my slate is clean unless Metroid Prime 4 magically hits in 2019.

The important bit is not needlessly buying stuff to begin with is the first step to just not having extra things piling up.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:47 PM »
Agreed, Adrock.  Out of sight, out of mind, unless you make a deliberate effort to take stock of what you have available to play to you.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/15/18182675/marie-kondo-gaming-inventory-tidying-up

This is not quite the same thing, but an interesting look at in-game inventory through the lens of Marie Kondo.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »
So I am doing it right! Thanks Adrock.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
How did everyone do with this?
Terrible but okay with it.

For some reason, I have two Wii Wheels. Why?!
One from Mario Kart Wii, one from ExciteBots Trick Racing?