Author Topic: Rate the last movie you've seen  (Read 1537965 times)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last movie you've seen
« Reply #6125 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:04 AM »
I don't approve of rating systems. When a rating system is first invoked it makes sense because it is just classifying where movies fit. Over time there becomes an incentive to design media for ratings systems. Also, over time the  definition will change to more vanilla fare. A PG movie does not mean Goonies or Raiders of the Lost Ark anymore. If Goonies was released today it would be rated PG-13.

Then there are absurd things like Jaws is PG, The Ring is PG-13, The Dark Knight is PG-13. Only one of those movies shows a violent death.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:40:37 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: April 09, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
An additional problem at least for America is the rating board is a private entity that is opaque, non-representational, arbitrary, filled with conflicts of interest and agendas that make it less than worthless even as guidance.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: April 15, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
Watched the new Hellboy...hoo boy, that was a train wreck. Some nice parts, but it was very disjointed and very grotesque (and this coming from a pair of Game of Thrones fans). It felt like what would happen if the Saw creators tried to make a Deadpool style super hero film. I was never terribly big on the previous films, we went because we liked David Harbour in Stranger Things, but we were tempted to walk out and watch Shazaam instead.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6128 on: April 15, 2019, 10:30:10 PM »
Yeah, no the new Hellboy movie looks like a train wreck.  Which I knew it would be once the movie was rated R.  The movie should have never been rated R.  Del Toro literally perfected the Hellboy formula, leaning on traditional folklore and religious creature design which fits with the comics.  Dark Comedy that was still playful, and scenes that were scary but also matched the tone of the rest of the film.  I hope this movie fails so hard they consider giving the franchise back to Del Toro to make his trilogy complete.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6129 on: April 15, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
Us

I saw the twist coming early on, so it was kinda spoiled for me right away.The movie side steps the twist maybe once at the end?  But otherwise, the first time I suspected it, everything that after confirmed it.  I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre, but I still ended up liking it a bunch.  I don't think the characters did anything I thought was overly stupid, which is a plus.  It's a lot different from "Get Out", and there are probably a lot of reasons that I like it less.  I would still say it's a good movie.  There's a lot of imagery that's either obvious or a little on the nose.  Like the kind of things you see in "12 things you missed in this movie!" videos.  But those can be fun to pick out and make the experience more "interactive", I guess?  I just need the film to do more to distract me from the clues it's laying down regarding the twist.

7.5/10
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: April 16, 2019, 01:14:04 AM »
Having not seen the new Hell Boy, the footage I've seen shows a real haggard looking Hellboy. The first time I saw test makeup it looked great, but in trailer footage he looks like what happened if you Hellboy did meth.

METH NOT EVEN ONCE

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6131 on: April 16, 2019, 01:38:04 AM »
The makeup looks great.  Like he is more aged and experienced.  I have no problem with the look and I like the darker red tone.  But Ron Perlman will always be my Hellboy.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: April 16, 2019, 01:52:45 AM »
While actual photos usually suck as the colours are meant to be corrected in post... Jesus you're bang on about the meth. That face commits murder it along with the reduced ripness.

I go to a bad movie night/day every week, usually the movies are really bad, some a surprisingly entertaining, but we get legit good movies that you wouldn't otherwise expect.

Destination Wedding:

Romcom are dire. I have yet to see one that is good, consistently funny or clever until now. Keanu and Winonia Rider accidentally meet at the airport going to the same wedding. They then spend the entire movie ripping into each other and everything around them interacting with no one else. There is some physical comedy, but it's 90% dialogue backed by body language. Essentially a stage play.

I can't really describe why it is awesome and unbelievably funny. It is just layer and layers of interactions with each other, setup, just the right amount of absurdity, awkwardness, perfect casting. I can't quote a joke or present a random one in video form doing it any justice.

If you like it you are going to laugh your ass off, really tickling your brain. At worse you will be dismissive and stop 10 minutes in. If it hasn't captured you by then it won't.

I am whole hearty recommending this romcom, truly a first.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: April 16, 2019, 04:46:52 AM »
At least their not being besieged by an undead prince from Transylvania this time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 04:48:26 AM by ThePerm »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: April 16, 2019, 07:42:02 PM »
Just finished Justice League vs. the Fatal 5 now that it's on BluRay, and...yeah, this is a pretty good Justice League Unlimited movie. Hell, I don't know why they didn't just officially brand it a JLU movie, considering it's using the JLU character designs, sets, voice actors, and even the musical cues.

I've never been terribly interested in the Legion of Superheroes, so I found the Fatal 5 kind of generic & randomly powerful. My big issues with the film lie with the ending, though. Suffice it to say that one character pulls god-tier power RIGHT out of their ass when everything the film built up to that point indicated they SHOULD have been severely weakened. Also, there's a certain power source that plays right into the film's climax that the movie never addresses whether it can be replenished, and it's just...gone at the end of the movie, and the movie never gives a resolution to it. It's an annoying, dangling plot thread.  I also would have preferred if the movie was longer, but that's just getting greedy.

One nitpick, though, I can't let slide is the animation. It's really inconsistent, reminding me oh so much of how bad the animation in Batman & Harley Quin was. Characters go off-model a LOT, particularly Wonder Woman (who looks like a bobble head in certain shots) and Superman. However, there's also a shot when the league is jetting to the finale where Batman's eyes go WAY off model. It's really distracting.

Overall, though, I quite liked it and it's a good return to form. Hopefully, they stick with the JLU designs and stories for a while. I know Hush is next (with Damien Wayne...ugh...), but it would be nice to see more animated films like this coming out of DC.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: April 17, 2019, 01:15:53 AM »
I didn't pick up on the off model animation except for batman eyes, wtf was that? I look to the consistency of the art style and motion than the raw accuracy of the model. If you're frame rate is poor or poorly masked, the picture has technical flaws like jaggy lines or discoloured, I will see that.

It had some of the same issues with the movie's story as you did. The power scale was all over the place for the villains. Consistent for the heroes though. I assume the other item is an access point/representation to be rebuilt rather than the ultimate source which would work within this continuity, I think. Outside of it, all bets are off.

I think they didn't need to name it as a JLU movie. That unique set of visuals, music, voices, character behaviour unmistakably screams DCAU and DC has never used they style outside of that continuity which no doubt Timm fights for tooth and nail. Even as a kid I could tell Batman Beyond was DCAU despite it being visually darker, different colour choices, the underlying art, feel is the same, you just knew. That takes real talent.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:49 AM »
Her 9.5/10 Wow. What an excellent movie. I've been meaning to watch this for years.

You were never really there 7/10  I re-watched Taxi Driver a week ago. This is like a more confusing and messy version of Taxi Driver.

Don't Worry, He won't get far on foot7.8/10 An enjoyable biopic. Though I feel like i've seen this before. Like I haven't, but there has been a near identical movie.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:43:32 AM by ThePerm »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: April 25, 2019, 09:03:34 PM »
Wow.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: April 25, 2019, 10:15:42 PM »
Avengers Endgame - 10/10
Talking about anything is basically a spoiler. You really should just not even think about going to the bathroom. It's an absolute masterpiece. Truly incredible how they managed to weave everything together.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: April 25, 2019, 10:37:54 PM »
Avengers Endgame - 10/10
Talking about anything is basically a spoiler. You really should just not even think about going to the bathroom. It's an absolute masterpiece. Truly incredible how they managed to weave everything together.

You said what I said but with more wordywords. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: April 25, 2019, 10:59:47 PM »
It's almost like we finish each other's...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: April 26, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
sandwiches!!!

Great movie. Touching and sad moments. Funny to hilarious scenes. Clapping and wild Cheering!!!! and seat gripping action.
avoid the spoilers if possible, but do a recap to refresh your memory.

Not a Spoiler but there is no end credit scene. watch the colorful credits and bounce after the that. get a headstart to the bathroom, or the parking lot. I just wanted to confirm this for those that stay till the end.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:06:30 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
What's this Endgame y'all are talking about, did we turn into a chess forum? Anyway I just saw Captain Marvel, the Newest Film from Marvel Studios TM.
It's another good Marvel action film. Liked the banter between Carol and Fury, of course Goose is the best cat, and the opening montage with Stan Lee cameos was a nice touch. It's great how much work they put in to make it seem like the nineties again. Saw it in a packed theater and people were loving all the jokes. It's borderline criminal they have her wear a NIN shirt all movie long and don't even bother throwing Ruiner over the end credits though.

I don't think it ever quite nails the balance between the youth flashbacks and where Carol winds up going. You can see what they're going for, someone keeps getting kicked down but always tries getting back up. That's a good message, but sort of the inherent problem with how powerful her character has always been is that the movie can't really mount a challenge for her at the end.
The Skrulls work very well as an enemy for Carol, since their shapeshifting power means she can't rely on brute strength but has to actually pay attention to other people - something she's usually bad at. But since they invert that threat halfway through, the movie basically has her doing a victory lap against the Kree. It was great to watch, mind, but I felt like she bought the Skrull's explanation a bit too easily.

Overall I didn't love this one, but it's a good time and can comfortably slot into the mid-tier of Marvel movies. I've read some of the Captain Marvel comics and there's a lot of fun easter eggs for what I imagine must be a pretty niche audience, including a cameo by one of the writers, haha. Liked what they did with Mar-Vell a lot, and her origin story in this movie gives her even more agency than how the comics revamped her several years ago.
3/5 it's no Thor Ragnarok or Guardians 2, but another solid wagon on the Marvel train.

Her 9.5/10 Wow. What an excellent movie. I've been meaning to watch this for years.

Yeah I found this to be a really moving and pretty thoughtful film, too. Meanwhile Blade Runner 2049 is sort of the inverted, Black Mirror style take on a similar subject. Also comes highly recommended.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6143 on: April 26, 2019, 06:27:15 PM »
10 out of 10 damn years, and it was more than worth it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: May 12, 2019, 02:18:55 AM »
Detective Pikachu

It was an entertaining movie. had a bit of a twist.
but ultimately, I don't really know many pokemons, never played the game, and barely ever watched the show, so this didn't really capture me with nostalgia.

However, once the mystery was exposed, I don't think it actually made any sense.
It might make perfect sense if you didn't actually think about it.... and I think that's what they intended, but wut!?

Anyone else see this movie yet?
p.s. my daughter and her friends liked it, especially any part with Pikachu in it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: May 12, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
We were going to take our sisters to go see it this weekend, but may wait until next weekend. I'm sure they will enjoy it, I just want a bit of a nostalgia trip and to appreciate PikaPool and the cool monster designs.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: May 12, 2019, 02:08:58 PM »
Well obviously, the best part is Pikachu
endless banter (as RR is known to do), that is quite humorous and entertaining.

There's lots to like about and within this movie. It's not just for Pokepals, it's definitely for everyone.
I actually enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind seeing a sequel produced.

my only nitpick (because I know what this movie is and who it's for) was the resolution of the mystery... but like I said, I don't really know pokemon, so I don't know if that makes sense in the land of Pokemon. I will provide no context for now, not even in spoilers, but maybe after everyone goes an sees it, I will still remember what it was that I didn't understand. Maybe someone can make it make sense for me. :)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: May 12, 2019, 04:31:57 PM »
I played yellow and blue and watched the show until they switched the the Johto league. I'd be curious to see how this holds up. It got a 60%ish critic score and an 80%ish fan score on Rotten Tomatoes. One negative review said "Strictly for die-hard Pokemon fans."  Which makes it sound good to me.  Most video game movies are terrible aside from the first Mortal Kombat. I'd be curious to see if this one breaks the mold.

If Overlord was called Wolfenstein it would have been the best video game movie.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 04:34:24 PM by ThePerm »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: May 12, 2019, 05:54:56 PM »
I've been meaning to watch Overlord.
I need to make that a priority.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6149 on: May 12, 2019, 06:36:31 PM »
I saw Detective Pikachu. I was pretty excited for it. I thought the plot was actually kind of not good, but I still enjoyed it overall. Seeing all the Pokémon was, hands down, the best part of the experience for me.