Author Topic: Paper Mario and the Origami King  (Read 2778 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Paper Mario and the Origami King
« on: July 25, 2020, 07:29:42 AM »
Anyone playing through this?

I have never been so torn about a game before. The writing, the wit, the charm and those bananas unexpected moments are just amazing. I am all in with this. I can't wait to play through till completion seeing what other wonderful surprises lurk within. There have been some genuine laugh out loud moments for me.

Unfortunately, as much as I love all the above, the combat system juxtaposes it perfectly. I have never hated combat in a game as much as I do in this one. It's at the point now where I am running from encounters. Maybe I'm just ludicrously incompetent, but I have such a hard time with the line em up boards. When there are mobs all over the board my brain just melts out my ear, especially when it's a three turn board. I am now instantly paying the toads to line it up for me because I just can't be bothered dealing with it anymore, and because I'm getting more and more sick of it I'm performing worse at it because I just want it over. I think what really annoys me about it is that if you mess it up the game punishes you for it. Rather than doing something sensible like reducing your reward it reduces your damage. This damage reduction will quite likely render you unable to take out mobs in a single turn which snowballs into a hell of a lot potential incoming damage.

This system isn't clever, it isn't fun. It's just reprehensibly bad and drags everything out. I'd be more than happy for them to completely remove the combat "mini games" and just have it all on the overworld like the paper macho mobs.

This is so frustrating because I'd dearly love to play through this again one day but the terrible combat is quite likely enough to put me off.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Mario and the Origami King
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 03:56:19 AM »
I wanted to hear good things about this game but everyone seems to have the same complaints.

Sad.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »
I like the story and puzzles. I agree on battles, though I like it for the boss fights where they change it up a lot. For the paper soldier fights I wish it was a little more straight forward as the ring battles just take a bit too long to do for the low stakes of a goomba battle.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 07:44:29 PM »
I just finished this game, myself. Overall, I quite enjoyed the game. It seemed to have the spark of creativity and energy that the post-Thousand Year Door Paper Mario games have been lacking. I don't care for the battle system, though (doing all those puzzle is just tiresome), and I generally dislike the boss battles, which tend to ditch pure power contests for special attack-laden gimmick fights. In fact, the game's final 3-phase boss fight is one of the more generally aggravating gaming experiences I've had in years.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.