Author Topic: Is there anything superior about the X-Box or PS2?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Is there anything superior about the X-Box or PS2?
« on: June 17, 2003, 07:26:54 PM »
What makes people think that the X-BOX or PS2 are so superior to the Gamecube.  If its the DVD playr that does all the difference, its still a rip off.  I got the gamecube and a DVD for cheaper then an X-BOX or PS2.  Is there anything else that makes a difference.

Offline Big_Pimp

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 08:13:13 PM »
The X-Box and the PS2 are not superior to the Gamecube.  I blame it all on these casual gamers and so called "mature" gamers who just want to "go with the flow".  These people see Nintendo as a kiddie company and wouldn't be caught dead playing a Nintendo game.  All next-gen systems have their pros and cons so no system is superior to another.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 08:47:38 PM »
well in terms of hardware, i think it goes something like

1) Xbox 2) GC 3) PS2

and it was pretty much dependent on when the systems came out.

Other than that, it's basically the library of games.  Ppl probably like PS2 more cuz it has more games.  Ppl probably like Xbox cuz of the target audience.  But if Nintendo gets more 3rd party developers (and hopefully a cool classic RPG), then more ppl may like Nintendo w/o alwyas bashing on it

And there's always some who think a system taht can play DVDs will be more of a benefit than GC.  Again all personal opinion and who you market to.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 09:01:12 PM »

They have better games... *looks over at Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, RE0, Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine and others* oh wait no they dont...

They have more games... *looks at GB Player* oh wait no they dont...

They have better graphics... *looks at PS2* oh wait no they dont...

They have faster load times... *boots up Metroid Prime in one second* oh wait no they dont...

Erm... they play dvds? they're bigger?

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 09:50:34 PM »
umm well to say the truth, i actually think the xbox hard drive is a nice feature especially for xtreme sports games where your own music tracks can be played, downloadable content, and etc.  I know u can just blast a stereo but it is nice to hear it from the same system so dont flame me.

xbox has easy lan abilities.  I totally cant wait for GCN it will be super sweet for Mario Kart!

umm dvd playback, bleh, alot isnt even supported and u need to purchase a controller for xbox, bleh.

xbox has online abilities, but nothing interesting on it yet, lol.  IMO mechassault isnt a great game to make me pay $100 dollars for (game then xbox live), and ps2 has online abilities, but they have very little and the only good one has alot of cheaters (socom).

Personally I like my Gamecube the best.  I currently own a GCN, XBOX, and i used to own a Ps2 but it broke down in 5 1/2 months.

My ps2's dvd player ruined my simpsons dvd, argh!  and the games graphics were terrible for most games and load times was god awful.

And my xbox is only on a so so basis untill i have my every other week halo lan party.

My Gamecube plain out just has been a blessing since its release, unless u count the dent it put in my wallet, so many great games!

Offline BrianSLA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 11:50:04 PM »
The Xbox IS superior hardware than the Gamecube. It is graphically superior ( more powerful plus it can do progressive scan 1080i ) and audio superior ( Dolby Digital ). It has a built in 8gig hard drive plus built in high speed modem.
The Gamecube is superior to the PS2 graphically.
As for games..... it is up to the individual gamer. If you want the most variety of games..... go for the PS2. If you want the best version of a game ( multiplatform ) go Xbox. If you want Nintendo games / some of the best ' kiddy ' games, go Gamecube.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 12:06:53 AM »

Originally posted by: BrianSLA
The Xbox IS superior hardware than the Gamecube.

Marginally.

Originally posted by: BrianSLA
The Gamecube is superior to the PS2 graphically.

Marginally.

If you want the best version of a game ( multiplatform ) go Xbox.

I would suggest PS2.  The most time is spent on the PS2 versions, and the PS2's controller doesn't suck so bad.

If you want Nintendo games / some of the best ' kiddy ' games, go Gamecube.

Actually, GameCube has the LEAST amount of "kiddy" games last time I checked.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Is there anything superior about the X-Box or PS2?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 12:21:39 AM »
true gamers chose them because they satisfy their gameing needs, casual gamers get the ps2 because everyone else does, xbawx isn't that much more popular than GCN so they are pretty much the same

Xbawx is technilogically superior of the 3 consoles, but unless its implemented correctly you can get PS2 games looking better.

all in all people chose the variying consoles for various reasons. theres no hardline rules defineing why people buy things.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 04:03:27 AM »
In terms of graphics  hardware, the Xbox has various shaders which aid in various visual effects like making textures look better, improved lighting, etc. Gamecube and PS2 can be programmed to do in in-game, but it taxes the CPU.

PS2 and Xbox have digital output for sound, as opposed to the analog output on the cube. Pro Logic II on the Cube works great, but for many it required new receivers to take advantage of it, as opposed to DTS and Dolby Digital on the PS2 an Xbox which is standard on all receivers.

Cube and Xbox support progressive scan output, a do the new model PS2.

There's various other areas where each console excels, but they are all capable of playing great (and not-so-great) games.
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2003, 04:55:28 AM »
Mt biggest problem is the cubes lack of a digital audio output, yes prologic 2 isnt bad, but it sure isnt dolby digital.

Graphics - All are pretty good imo, I dont understand all the ragging on PS2 graphics, they are fine to me.
Games - PS2 has a great selection, outstanding selection even. Currently the X-box has the most games I want to play, I am hoping nintendo can change that with  a "good" mario game, hopfully 128 does the trick. I know Mario Kart will get a ton of play, other than that, nothing currently on my want list from Nintnendo.

Controller, all have good points, wave bird kicks ass for convenience, I wish I could get the box controller in a wave bird.

In the end, to each their own, some folks still like their Atari.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 06:43:37 AM »
Eh, how can you have 1080i progressive scanning? The 'i' stands for interlaced. That would be 540p or some games have 720p...

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 07:48:08 AM »
I think I read some where that the PS2 only supports surround during cut scenes, and then back to stereo for the in game action.  Something about it would tax its meager processor too much, and the game would slow down.

Ahhh yes here it is:  

http://www.dolby.com/games/sony.ps2.faq.html#q7

Oh well, they do have a digital output which is nice.  PS2's stereo sound will be kicking, hehehehe.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2003, 07:57:23 AM »
Personally I think the PS2 deserves to be the number one console.  It has the most games and the most variety of games.  Regardless of what genres a person likes they should be able to find something they like on the PS2.  Personally I prefer the Gamecube's games but it doesn't have a lot of choices in it's lineup.  If you don't like the major Gamecube titles you're pretty much screwed.  In terms of the actual machine itself though the PS2 pretty much sucks.  I've NEVER liked it's jaggy, blurry graphics and I can't understand how anyone can consider them good (or better than Cube and Xbox as some people have actually told me).  I hate the controller.  It's unconfortable and D-pad centric which is backwards for a 3D console.  It also encourages developers to stick with digital controls which is outdated on often impractical.  It also only has two controller ports which is just dumb and encourages developers to not make four player games.

The Xbox on the other hand is the most over-hyped system of all time.  I can count the amount of games that are even good for the Xbox on one hand yet it outsells the Gamecube which in my opinion is a VASTLY superior machine.  The success of the Xbox proves that one doesn't need the best games or even that many good ones as long as it has good marketing.  The Xbox is the result of gaming going mainstream.  Game makers now sell an image instead of games.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2003, 08:24:53 AM »

I can count the amount of games that are even good for the Xbox on one hand yet it outsells the Gamecube which in my opinion is a VASTLY superior machine. The success of the Xbox proves that one doesn't need the best games or even that many good ones as long as it has good marketing.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

I have 16 games for my X-box, and I enjoy all of them. I "personally" think the x-box has a larger selection of better games than the gamecube. In better, I mean games I prefer, so it all comes down to ones preferance.

As for the Cube being VASTLY better, I again disagree. I think the machines are pretty much equal, both having some very good features. I love the hard drive on the x-box, and the sound on the box is just plain awesome. I love the Cube for its load times and wave bird controller.

What I would really like to see is a joint effort from all the makers, make one super console that plays all the games.
Sure would be nice.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2003, 10:37:51 AM »

As for games..... it is up to the individual gamer. If you want the most variety of games..... go for the PS2. If you want the best version of a game ( multiplatform ) go Xbox. If you want Nintendo games / some of the best ' kiddy ' games, go Gamecube.

I just wanna high-five ya there, thats one of the only fare analysis of three consoles games I like.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2003, 10:47:29 AM »
basically all 3 systems are pretty good graphically
the ps2 can pump out really good graphics but it is hard to get its hardware to the full potential
this is just like the n64 although not as hard to develope for
the xbox's hard drive is a god send- no more memory cards is a good thing
the gc has very short load times
basically all 3 systems give you reason to buy their own- different games, graphics, and capabilities
i call the big one bitey.

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2003, 12:12:11 PM »

I think I read some where that the PS2 only supports surround during cut scenes, and then back to stereo for the in game action.

You're right. i completely forgot about that.

I hate the controller. It's unconfortable and D-pad centric which is backwards for a 3D console. It also encourages developers to stick with digital controls which is outdated on often impractical. It also only has two controller ports which is just dumb and encourages developers to not make four player games.

i couldn't agree more. While the PS2's D-pad feels a bit better than the PS's, i don't like the feeling of four separate buttons, nor do i like two trigger buttons per side. The analog sticks are truthfully an afterthought and don't feel as comfortable as similarly-placed analog sticks on the Cube or Xbox controllers. i don't understand why they just didn't take the initiative to switch the D-pad and left analog switch when they came out with the analog controller back in the PS days.

I have 16 games for my X-box, and I enjoy all of them. I "personally" think the x-box has a larger selection of better games than the gamecube. In better, I mean games I prefer, so it all comes down to ones preferance.

i believe there's also a larger number of western games on the Xbox compared to the other two as well. As i've said in another thread, i generally play more Japanese games. Gamers who share the same preference generally feel the Xbox has less quality or at least worthwhile games, not to suggest that that was the reasoning behind Ian Sane's comments.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2003, 03:34:19 PM »
With regards to the Dolby sound,  I've heard that the %.1 only works when watching movies or cinematics, not with actual game play.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2003, 03:40:42 PM »
On another note.  How much do the systems cost in parts of the world you come from.  I dont know if many of you are from other countries.  I'm from australia and the Cube is the Cheapest of the three at around $200-250.  The X-Box and PS2 are about even at $300 - $350.  Games are the same price and the memory cards, controllers etc. for the latter systems are pretty much double the price of the Nintendo equipment.  Whats it like in your part of the world.????

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2003, 04:37:39 PM »
Well, everyone seems to have answered your question, so all I can say now is that I prefer the Gamecube to the other two by a longshot.  I've played many games for the Xbox, and the only one that I found really enjoyable was Halo, and there are various Cube games that I prefer to Halo.  PS2 has a lot of RPGs (which I do not like to play; the only one I've really played is FF1, and I actually play it with two of my friends) and a whole lot of games, but most of them really suck.  Sly Cooper is a great game, tons of fun.  I'm sure Vice City and those are good, too, but I haven't played those (though I have played GTA2, and it's fun, but only for a time).  Therefore, I can easily say that I prefer Gamecube.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2003, 07:35:18 PM »
well its pretty standard to see pretty games on xbox. Its very rare to see pretty games on ps2..but they exist games like GT3 and Ico are amazing but it takes alot to get power out of the system and for the most part you wont see games that look as good as even dreamcast games because most developers are lazy. On gamecueb youll see a similar problem. There are outstanding looking games but because third parties are so damn lazy they'll never get much out of the system. Iv read some devloper diaries that were rediculous...you read the devloper diary from ty the kangeroo and then youll read the devloper diary for rogue squadron and youll laugh because youll realise even people working on the system dont know how much ram is on the system. Ps2 ports be damned.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2003, 07:21:12 AM »
Actually the PS2 can do DTS while in games (SSX was one of the first to use it, GTA VC does as well).  But for progressive scan--no the PS2 doesn't support progressive scan nor will any of the games.  The new model will have a progressive scan DVD player but it's just for movies (worth the extra $20 IMO).

As for ports, lately (last 6-8 months) xbox has been getting the majority in terms of best version with the big exceptation for EA GAMES.  You can just look at IGN's comparassion's charts for them.

The big difference between PS/Xbox and the GC is online.  Both Sony & MS are supporting online games & developers while Nintendo isn't anymore.  Which is kinda-of-a-pisser--Always wanted a MK online with the ablity to make your own tracks & characters.

As for graphics, the difference is there namely with textures.  PS2 gets slammed because it has a whooping 4MB's for VRam.  WTF was sony thinking even the DC has 8MB's.

As for Vram the xbox has the advantage (64MB's though it's shared) and the GC has only 24MB though it's faster.  Still surprised that no developer has used the XBox HD as a VM cashe yet--should be able to.

Offline Round Eye

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2003, 11:05:31 AM »

Originally posted by: Shorty McNostril
With regards to the Dolby sound,  I've heard that the %.1 only works when watching movies or cinematics, not with actual game play.

In '5.1' the '.1' stands for the bass channel, which I think just uses a standard crossover circuit.  So it should work all the time, but I guess it depends on the hardware.  All I know is that having surround in game is pretty cool.  RS2 is awesome for sound, take that Darth Vader I knew you were on my tail.
There are two types of people in the world.  Those who finish what they started, and so on...

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2003, 11:43:43 AM »
Firstly, I'll start off by saying that my favourite is the PS2, because it has the features (DVD playback) and games (Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 3, Gran Turismo 3) that I like. Close second is GCN, and then XBox.

The PS2 does support progressive scan. A good example is Soul Calibur 2.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline mattcube6412

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 08:32:57 PM »
Well, I think this is a very interesting thread- I love seeing what my fellow gamers think. For me, I think the best system is GCN, but that's just my opinion. I'm fond of Nintendo's 1st party games, which I think are the best in gaming. All systems have pros and cons. I think currently Nintendo has had a pretty steady stream of grade A games, with more in the comming season. I think the BOX doesn't have quite the stream of games, but when a great game is released, it is AWESOME!!! (Panzer Dragoon Orta, Halo, anyone?) Whereas the PS2 doesn't have as many great titles, they have A LOT of games that definitly don't dissapoint. Now, I have to give XBOX credit for it's online games. Gamecube rots in that category (WHY ISNT MKDD!! ONLINE?!) and PS2 is decent, but atleast they're trying. GCN definitly has some of the games with the highest production values, polish, and overall greatness.