Poll

To those who have played Kid Icarus Uprising, how have you found the controls?

LOVE THEm: Picked it up from the start without any effort
8 (17.8%)
LOVE THEM: Took a while to adjust, but now i can't imagine it any other way
19 (42.2%)
TOLERABLE: I have adjusted, but I would prefer something else
9 (20%)
HATE THEM: I can't deal with them. It breaks the game.
2 (4.4%)
WAITING: I haven't picked it up yet.
7 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: POLL: Your Experience With Kid Icarus Uprising's Controls  (Read 11038 times)

Offline Zacko

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
POLL: Your Experience With Kid Icarus Uprising's Controls
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Hey everybody, I picked up Kid Icarus Uprising and all I hear is complaints about the controlscheme. Let's clear the air, shall we? I have a feeling that some reviewers are knocking the game's controls because they weren't really interested in enjoying the game, they just wanted to review it. I personally feel that the game's controls are the best possible way to handle this game. Once you get over the fact that you've never played a game like this before and get a hang of the controls, you realize that this is the way it NEEDS to be in order to give you the quick twitch control it needs to succeed. Dual stick isn't as good as this. The only thing that would rival it is keyboard and mouse, with the mouse replacing the stylus, but even then the circle pad is superior to a keyboard.

As a side note, I have a couple tips to owners to improve the game:

1) mess with the stylus sensitivity. I turned the sensitivity up and it is a lot easier to flip around.
2) use the d pad for your powers. It's easier to do that tap on the screen.
3) Master the "flick-and-tap turn." Don't drag the stylus to turn, flick the screen and you'll spin around. It's a lot faster, especially when you've cranked up the sensitivity.

If I'm off my rocker, let me know. I'm still messing around an learning the controls, but I think some healthy discussion is warranted.
3DS: 2019-9753-7573
Wii U: Dorgon

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Your Experience With Kid Icarus Uprising's Controls
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »
From my phone.

I think it controls fine. Pit can slide a bit which isn't good for the narrow bridges but the only thing that gets me is sometimes I get a cramp in my left hand. If that doesn't happen I tend to play some what violently and lose hold of the 3ds. Wii u version with a wiimote control will be epic. As soon as I bolt the 3ds down it will be easier. It's great, better than star fox ds.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
First Person.

I don't mind Third Person, though I do loath Pit's walking animation, but First person is really a great way to play the ground missions.  It just feels better.

Though I am the 33.33333333333...%
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
Gotta try the first person on foot sections.

RomanceDawn

Offline leahsdad

• This title stolen by Rhythm Thief
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:41 PM »
I voted tolerable.   I love the game, but....so far, for the last couple days, my relationship with this game has been like my relationship with that Rooster Chili sauce.  You know, the sauce you see at asian restaraunts and markets, big clear bottle, green cap, with a rooster picture on it?   

I love that Rooster chili sauce.  It is so good when it first hits my tongue.  It makes almost all food better.  It's great.   At first.

But 30 minutes after my meal, my stomach starts to ache.   Then that ache starts moving along my digestive track.   And a few hours later, I'm on the toilet, and it does not feel good.  The exact opposite of good.  Very very bad.

And the same with Kid Icarus Uprising's controls  The feel fine at first.   Perfectly fine.  But after 15 minutes, I'm playing the on-foot portion of the level, and I'm pulling off side dashes on the circle pad like a madman.   Then I start to feel a crimp in my left thumb.  Not pain.  More like an ache.

A normal person would have stopped playing this game.  I would have stopped playing this game if not for the fact that it is so freakin' good.  So much fun, so addictive.   I'm not finished with the game yet.   I've just beat 2 chapters (though I've put 3 solid hours into the game!).    I feel like I'm in college and playing Starfox 64 again for the first time. 

So, like the Rooster Chili Sauce, I will tolerate a very unpleasant aspect of the game, because the good stuff is just so damn good.
[Showing off game collection]

Oh yeah, I know I have 2 sealed copies of that game.   1 is for trading.  But people who collect Amiibos?  They really have a problem!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:00:26 PM »
Anyone try the slide pad? I had a million of em, now I can't fine one...

RomanceDawn

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
I don't have the game yet (I can't really afford to spend money on games right now), but it's getting so much praise that I want to play it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:14:52 PM »
Just battled Medusa... Epic!

RomanceDawn

Offline Nathaniel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:00:36 PM »
I picked up in the controls instantly, but did increase the aiming sensitivity to max.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Over the past seven years or so I've done the majority of my gaming on a Nintendo handheld, a lot of that with a stylus so I understand if I'm a bit more prepared than most.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:02:41 PM »
Any lefties out there who can comment on the controls with and without the Circle Pad Pro? That's the main reason I haven't purchased the game yet.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
I played a decent amount of this earlier, and I didn't have any significant problem with the controls. I still don't have them completely down, but they work well enough. I don't think any other way would work better; dual analog with the Circle Pad Pro wouldn't work, as if the sensitivity were high enough to allow for the speed of the game it wouldn't be as accurate as this is. What would probably work really well, though, is Wii Remote and Nunchuk, so I find it odd that they chose this platform over the Wii or Wii U.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »
Any lefties out there who can comment on the controls with and without the Circle Pad Pro? That's the main reason I haven't purchased the game yet.

Just Neal.

Due to the placement of the Circle Pad, there is no left-handed option, which is important for me since I'm a lefty. However, it actually wasn't too bad, primarily because the touch screen control didn't have to be precise. There are certain games where the Circle Pad placement will be an issue, but Kid Icarus: Uprising won't be one of them, at least for me.

Quote from: Neal's Review
There are myriad control options that allow you customize and tweak the inputs to your liking, which helps the perceived issues. The Circle Pad Pro is almost required for lefties, though all it does is make the added Circle Pad do the same thing the main Circle Pad does. There is also a no-stylus mode, but that can only use the face buttons for character movement and the Circle Pad for aiming. Personally, I loved using the Circle Pad Pro, but the no-stylus option was dreadful.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:00:10 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:39 AM »
OK i've invested so much more time into it. A few days ago I voted tolerable. Now I absolutely love the controls! I upped the speed and sensitivity and played a few more online matches, now I'm a pro! Well I can beat the first stage on 8.0!

But unless you have a pointer like the wiimote I don't see how house this style could be done. I see goons clamoring for L targeting like Zelda or Metroid! This aint that type of game moron... That's not anyone from this board, but another.

RomanceDawn

Offline Zacko

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
But unless you have a pointer like the wiimote I don't see how house this style could be done. I see goons clamoring for L targeting like Zelda or Metroid! This aint that type of game moron... That's not anyone from this board, but another.
I don't think you could even pull off this kind of control with the Wii, unless you're constantly holding down B to "spin the globe" for camera shifts. The stylus is even more effective that the wiimote or dual stick would be imo. And if you want Z-targeting, use the power called Autoreticle. Its a timed auto-aim, and its brilliant. Works great when paired with Mega Laser.  ;D
3DS: 2019-9753-7573
Wii U: Dorgon

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
Every day I play a little more and get just a little better at it! This is a must own game! In Pit's world it really does seem like world could come to an end. In Link's world we get a trailer of a bunch of miniblins/moblins riding pigs in what looks to be some epic war of good vs evil, only to find out it's like 5 of them and there is absolutely nothing of epic proportions in the game. I mean TP's bosses were huge and fun to fight, and SS is amazing in all other regards, but the world never feels like it's coming to an end. Except in Majora's Mask of course.

Nintendo has a new shooter, eventually it's going to migrate to home consoles and just be expanded upon 10 fold. It's basically a new IP I've been asking for for years now. The graphics are fantastic, the voice acting and dialogue are wonderful, and after a little more time with the controls I am the master! I don't cramp anymore, after figuring out how to relax my left hand, and I don't double tap to dodge. Kid Icarus has completely exceeded my expectations!

RomanceDawn

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 12:58:35 AM »
I love everything about the game, though I do wonder what a sequel would entail story-wise since they crammed in nearly every imaginable twist and cliche (in a good way) in this game.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:50:33 PM »
For me, the controls are simply unbearable. I seriously think I'm gonna abandon the game soon which is a shame because it is otherwise pretty good all round. Currently nursing a Chandler Bing claw hand after playing for 15 minutes.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
There was indeed a learning curve for me but I'm completely fine with the controls now. Didn't have a problem from the start but it took about three stages for me to be really comfortable with the controls. Honestly if one has played Nintendo consoles over the years and is a Nintendo they should be able to adapt I feel. Look at the controllers for the various consoles. One just has to be willing to learn the controls I think.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 04:47:37 AM »
I started using the touch screen, but I actually find aiming with the A, B, X, Y  buttons to be easier.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:42 AM »
For me, the controls are simply unbearable. I seriously think I'm gonna abandon the game soon which is a shame because it is otherwise pretty good all round. Currently nursing a Chandler Bing claw hand after playing for 15 minutes.

Try aiming with the A, B, X, Y buttons, or flip the controls so you aim with the Circle Pad and move with the A, B, X, Y buttons.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 04:52:44 AM »
Gotta try the first person on foot sections.

What first-person? How do you switch to first-person view?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »
I like the controls (at least the one I set up), I'm a lefty and don't yet have the CPP, so I move with the circle pad and aim with the buttons. Haven't had too many problems this setup yet.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
Honestly, I love the controls. The scheme is wonderfully intuitive and fun, and with the addition of the Circle Pad Pro (I'm a lefty), the system feels way more comfortable and easy to use. I just enjoy this game so much.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 12:21:11 AM »
Honestly, I love the controls. The scheme is wonderfully intuitive and fun, and with the addition of the Circle Pad Pro (I'm a lefty), the system feels way more comfortable and easy to use. I just enjoy this game so much.

I really hope Sakurai expands upon Uprising with a potential sequel (for Wii U).

I thought the whole reason Sakurai left HAL was because he wanted to get away from Nintendo. Yet most of his games at Sora have been for Nintendo consoles, and he & Iwata even set up "Project Sora" together (Nintendo is the majority owner).

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
It's more about being away from the corporate oversight, and it seems to have worked wonderfully. He's able to do stuff the way he wants that probably nobody else would be able to get away with working at Nintendo proper yet has the full backing of Nintendo.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report