Author Topic: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS  (Read 27542 times)

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
Re: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
If this story is entirely true it means a few things ...

1. I'll not be getting a 3DS until some kind of new model.

2. I'm no longer interested in the "upcoming MH 3DS game."  I've poured over 500 (joyful) hours into MH3.  I don't need to do it again just to experience a new boss or two and some new shwag.

3. Nintendo is officially making decisions I do not agree with.  Up until 2011 I really thought they could do (almost) no wrong.  This year is turning into a mess! (OpRainfall, bad marketing approach for Wii U, and now a major hardware change for a 6-month-old platform!?)

geeeez...

If they end up bringing the sub fee for DQX to America but not the OpRainfall games? me and Iwata-san are gonna have words.  cuss-filled words.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 02:42:22 AM »
If it's a device Capcom came up with (which I think it is), I don't see many, if any, other third parties use it (for example, I don't think any company except THQ has used their uDraw tablet).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 03:16:38 AM »
Looks kinda like that gamepad add-on for the iPhone.

Offline Discostew

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 03:39:17 AM »
Not saying I like this addon, but another game that could take advantage of it....
....Luigi's Mansion 2.

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 04:13:53 AM »
This is officially "CRAZY LAND".....
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 04:25:30 AM »
Maybe now with this "boat" thing/add-on, the re-design won't completely alienate early adaptors. Meaning, newer games made after the redisign can still br played on old systems.
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
A port of the Wii game? If it does not include new monsters then this is a no go for me.

Well according to the source a monster named "Blakidios" will be on the cover instead of Lagiacrus. Though no one seems to know if that's a new monster or not. Then again it sounds close to Black Diablos to me.

Extra monsters would be a nice but an improved online experience with voice chat & more than 4 hunters in a town would do it for me. Besides, we still can still swim while the PSP players are too afraid to get in the water.
Mission...complete?

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 07:15:46 AM »
What are he chances of third parties ignoring this new device?

Eastern ones? Well, to quote Kohler: "When Capcom tells you to make a stupid accessory for Monster Hunter, you ask 'How stupid?'"

Western ones will ignore it, just like they've done every handheld in history. Imagine Babyz doesn't need a 2nd analog to suck.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »
Actually... seeing it held in the guy's hands in that photo makes the 3DS look a whole lot more comfortable to hold than it currently is. Adds some ergonomic curves to the thing that looks a bit more pleasant. If I wasn't so gung-ho about waiting on the redesign and Kid Icarus, I'd go pick one up now and prepare myself for this add-on.

Looks nifty. I like. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
What I hate about this is the uncertainty.

Owning a 3DS was a risky proposition already, given the tepid sales and ugly media that Nintendo has been receiving. Prices have been slashed, games have been delayed or cancelled, rumors have been circling with whispers of "failure" popping up online for weeks. Now buying a 3DS without waiting to learn about the future of the system seems foolish.

I still expect there to be enough content to justify my purchase... but my confidence in Nintendo to provide a gaming experience that I'll enjoy has never been lower.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
It looks like the charging cradle which before I got my 3DS I held my fiance's in the cradle in my hand and noted that you could leave it charging and still play it. I thought it was funny, but this is just ridiculous in that it makes the system bigger- but whatever. I don't expect this to be supported widely and while I like Monster Hunter Tri the controls really threw me out of the gameplay so I'm going to pass over this whole situation unless Nintendo releases a brand new 3DS model with dual analog next week or year. I would be very upset if a redesign was announced and released so soon.

I still expect there to be enough content to justify my purchase... but my confidence in Nintendo to provide a gaming experience that I'll enjoy has never been lower.

I feel the same way.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
Wow, that looks awful. I didn't think Nintendo would actually do it but I was never good at speculating. I wonder why Nintendo wouldn't just put an L2 button on there. If they're going to do this, they might as well go all out. Why not add another screen too? Or better yet, 2 additional screens. I want to be able to see north, south, east, and west AT THE SAME TIME.

I don't think this splits the market so long as games include a control option where the second slide pad is not needed.

I'm still happy with my 3DS. I got the price drop AND 20 free games. No buyer's remorse here. I absolutely will buy a redesign but I can put off buying it at launch seeing as I already have a 3DS, second slide pad or not.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
On the bright side, maybe this peripheral will include a battery supplement so that my 3DS doesn't need to be recharged on a daily basis. I miss the days of never worrying about battery life while gaming with my DS Lite.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:40:53 AM by ejamer »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 09:59:37 AM »
Well I be sort of messed over with this add-on since I have an extended battery and my 3DS doesn't go into the cradle now.  I don't even know where my original battery is anymore.  I have to get the box whenever I need the serial number.

Now to a few things if this is real:
1. Being that bulky in the back it better have a battery in there.
2. That doesn't look like a good placement anyway.
3. I wouldn't buy a Revision of Tri knowing that Monster Hunter Portable 3rd has vastly more content.  I would like to have all that content plus the underwater content.  Where are my Dual Swords, Bows, and Hunting Horns?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »
Uhgg...    I will be honest..   I'm not exactly thrilled about having some frankeinsteined up 3ds.  Honestly having my current 3ds with that, I will be a lot less likely to take it with me on the go.  It's not the size or anything like that.  It's just... Well  the only sound I can make to represent the appeal of it is Uhgg.    Not to mention just the disappointment  in the whole thing.   While I think it should have had a second analog from the start, just to have more options.   The inclusion of something like this after the fact is just disappointing. 

The only way I can see this becoming even used popularly is if it is included in a future soon redesign like the rumors are saying.   Either way I am just disappointed.  I totally expected a redesign someday, with better battery, maybe camera , form factor or whatever. If they go this route of including extra buttons and sticks.  It will really shake my trust in Nintendo as a company.

Guess will just have to wait and see how this turns out and what becomes of it all before really judging. Not really pleased at the prospect though so far.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
Looking at the picture you can see part of it extends to cover the IR port, leading me to conclude that's likely how it'll communicate with the system. Unfortunately, it also covers the stylus slot, which will make things a bit irritating.

I really hope this is just an early prototype, because if this is a final design this is going to be a real pain to use. They need to keep the stylus slot open, and make the bottom adjustable to fit with extended battery packs.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
Considering how monstrously large it looks, there's certainly room for a stylus slot in the add-on. Even though the point of it is to add a right slider pad and NOT use the stylus, it seems odd to block the stylus and require removing the peripheral entirely just to have access to it.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
MAYBE PUT THAT EXTRA bulk to good use.
like leave a slot for an extra battery, so if we want, we can drop some
coin, and buy another battery, with this add on and double our battery life.
Make people want it, then it will sell.
Also, im a big ninitendo fan, if they sell a new version next spring,
i'll put down another $200-250 for bigger battery, second anologe,
(and please god, slightly larger screens, love my XL)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
To everyone who didn't believe the rumor: I told you so!
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »
$200-$250? There's only one way you could have gotten that kind of expendable cash. My advice: You should return that Aztec gold to the Chest of Cortez. It's cursed.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2011, 11:06:09 AM »
About Monster Hunter 3G: I read that it has all the content from Tri including the underwater stuff. There will be new areas and new monsters too.
I kind of feel like the  "3DS Expansion Slide Pad" (Official Name) is like the Rock Band peripheral for the DS. If other games are going to support it so much then I feel certain that the next Nintendo 3DS XL will have dual analogs. In fact, it should. The 3DS was such a clusterfuck of rush jobs and investor appeasement that it's gone from being Amazing to Apologies in just a few months.
Dual Analogs are coming, I just want Nintendo to wait until it's all bulked out the 3DS to the size of a Game Gear.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2011, 11:27:01 AM »
$200-$250? There's only one way you could have gotten that kind of expendable cash. My advice: You should return that Aztec gold to the Chest of Cortez. It's cursed.

$200+ is a lot of scratch. Buying a 3DS (with price protection to take advantage of the recent discount) already broke my entertainment budget for the near-term future. Buying a new piece of hardware is something that I don't take lightly and probably won't be able to afford.

This still could all be over-reaction though. Nintendo has a long tradition of introducing and then not supporting peripherals. Until a full redesign is announced that replaces the current 3DS model, or more developers announce games that require the extra analog input, I'm not too worried about being obsolete.

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »
With regards to this thing providing extra battery power...  how would that even work?  The port for the charger is clearly exposed, and the charging cradle works by touching two metal contacts on either side of it.  There's no way for this thing to provide power to the system.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23:57 PM »
The cradle has some sort of screw or metal contact in the middle. In theory, this could connect up with a modified back plate to provide power. Or we can hope this is a prototype and that they will add that capability in.

Once this is out there, I hope a third party comes up with a case mod to add in the pad (or a nub, depending what will fit).
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »
Well, to quote Kohler: "When Capcom tells you to make a stupid accessory for Monster Hunter, you ask 'How stupid?'"

oh my god, hilarious!!! hahahaha

What I hate about this is the uncertainty.

sad 'n' true. =(