Author Topic: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS  (Read 27490 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:42 AM »

Monster Hunter Tri is getting a 3DS upgrade, and the 3DS is a Circle Pad peripheral.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/27709

A second Circle Pad is coming to the 3DS for the release of Monster Hunter 3G, an update to the Wii's Monster Hunter Tri, this week's Famitsu revealed.

The second Circle Pad will be an extra peripheral that will attach in a similar way as the charging cradle. It'll be placed near the face buttons, and also include L2 and R2 buttons, as well as an extra R1 button (since the system's R button can't be reached easily). Images from the report indicate that the shell will be about two centimeters in thickness, and protrude from the right side of the system roughly the same distance. No price was announced, but 01net's account reports it at around $10.

As for Monster Hunter 3G, it will be an updated version of the Wii release, featuring local wireless multiplayer, touch screen controls, and more. Monster Hunter 3G is set for a late 2011 release in Japan and should be on display at TGS.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Scatt-Man

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
Re: Second Circle Pad, Monster Hunter Coming to 3DS
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:16:31 AM »
*Insert Picard's Facepalm.bmp*

Desperate Nintendo is desperate.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »
I've seen a picture of this thing, and I have to say, it looks fake. At least, I hope it is fake, because it is huge, ugly, and looks even more uncomfortable...

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:19:47 AM »
That's another $10 piece of plastic and bits of circuits. This means I will definitely wait for the inevitable redesign.

Also, controls that are offset from the center of the screen looks so unpleasing. I'm used to it with my keyboard and mouse setup, but that doesn't make it any less fugly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:23:16 AM by Enner »

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:21:33 AM »
I really hope this is a Japan/Monster Hunters - only add on.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »
Yeah, I agree with TrueNerd. For now I will just assume this is a game-specific peripheral (like the DS had for the Guitar Hero games) and not a system wide thing.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 12:26:26 AM »
Well, I hope for 3DS fans' sake that this peripheral is better supported than Wii Motion + was, and for maximum effect that the inevitable redesign incorporates it as well.  There are some great perks to having a 2nd circle pad (such as better camera control and easier implementation of 1st person games), so it would be a real shame if the device was under-supported.

On the upside, having Monster Hunter as the standard bearer for the device in Japan should do a lot to give it wide adoption in Japan, so that should encourage the Japanese developers to potentially support it.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 12:26:46 AM »
I was just thinking that my 3DS was too symmetrical and not nearly bulky enough.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:33 AM »
The internet amuses me.  Half the people are saying it better be for one game, the other half are saying it better be more widely adopted...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
A port of the Wii game? If it does not include new monsters then this is a no go for me.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:30:17 AM »
(such as better camera control and easier implementation of 1st person games)
On the flip side, it promotes laziness in game design (no game should require camera movement), and first-person games don't work well on a handheld to begin with. The 3DS would be better off without it.

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:31:55 AM »
That thing looks annoying and unpleasant.  The game cartridge and stylus are both obstructed by it.  Also, it seems odd that they have a slot for a wrist strap on only the right side when the 3DS has holes for a strap on both sides. 

How does it actually interface with the 3DS anyway?  Is it wireless?  Does it need its own battery?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
(such as better camera control and easier implementation of 1st person games)
On the flip side, it promotes laziness in game design (no game should require camera movement), and first-person games don't work well on a handheld to begin with.

True, but programming 3D cameras is a tricky business.  Even Nintendo games have been known to have camera issues from time to time.  It's just the nature of 3D environments.  I'd rather have manual camera control if I need it than to have a camera snag on a tree or wall and not have it. 

As for 1st person games, I'm struggling to think of any good handheld ones, but I wonder if that's more due to no previous handheld having 2 analog sticks than the genre just not working on the format.  With the Vita and the 3DS potentially having 2 sticks each, we may better understand the truth of that within a year.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:37:26 AM by broodwars »

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
After seeing that hideous add-on, I will take my chances with a single slide-pad, or atleast until the 3DS Lite is launched.

Offline SeaNet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
Uh oh.

Did Nintendo forget something? Or are they trying to gain more third party support?

It's a little odd.. I hope it can be used to replicate the facebuttons, but more than likely the developer has to program for it. Too bad, one of my favorites is Geometry Wars Galaxies..

and the first game to use it will be... Super Mario 3DS Land!   or the new Layton...
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
The internet amuses me.  Half the people are saying it better be for one game, the other half are saying it better be more widely adopted...

I don't see how being widely adopted would be a good thing since it means 5 million+ people would be forced to buy this ugly add-on.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:04 AM »

I mean, most people who like it would want it to be widespread, so as to not feel like they wasted the investment, like with M+. Meanwhile, people who don't like it would rather not play one game than be forced to use that. . .thing.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
Happy for Monster Hunter reveal, though will hope this is a big update on the Wii version which I've already tacked.

Boo the 2nd analog stick. Unless it comes bundled with a game for free, no way am I buying.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:44:02 AM »
and the first game to use it will be... Super Mario 3DS Land!   or the new Layton...

I could see the first Nintendo game to support it being Kid Icarus.  SM3DSL doesn't look like the kind of game that'll really need it.  The same goes for Layton, unless it ends up being a 3D exploration game rather than a P&C puzzle game.  Barring Kid Icarus, I could see Nintendo really using this for a 3DS-exclusive Zelda game.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Maybe it's really comfy to hold. There are all sorts of grips and stuff around it. It does hurt portability and the 2nd circle pad will be more exposed to the elements (of a person's bag).

Offline SeaNet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 01:06:08 AM »

I could see the first Nintendo game to support it being Kid Icarus.  SM3DSL doesn't look like the kind of game that'll really need it.  The same goes for Layton, unless it ends up being a 3D exploration game rather than a P&C puzzle game.  Barring Kid Icarus, I could see Nintendo really using this for a 3DS-exclusive Zelda game.

yeah, I mean SM3DSL and Layton as a joke..   ;D
3DS FC 0344-9434-2907

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 01:06:37 AM »
I think someone may want to inspect the picture closer. It looks fake to me, but I'm too lazy to make all the points why.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 01:08:54 AM »
I wouldn't be shocked if it was fake, there have been time before when a image popped up online with people saying it was from Famitsu and it turned out to be fake.

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:24 AM »
First of all wouldn't be shocked if this was fake, but second of all, I don't really care because it means I can Monster Hunter on the go. I loved Tri, but dedicating 2 hours to a hunt was a pain, on a portable though... Is it really wrong to be such a sucker as I?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 02:06:43 AM »
What are he chances of third parties ignoring this new device?