Author Topic: Official Smash Bros. Dojo Update Discussion - Oh God, transition raped my text!  (Read 121627 times)

Offline Sessha

• I, too, believe Pale to be the devil.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
The problem is that leakers this time around seem even more conflicting than I recall they were with Melee...Here are the "leaked" partial rosters by the three prophets I'm following right now (the ones that aren't laughably bad):

NyaseNya

~ In: Mr. Game & Watch, Ness, Wind Waker Link

~ Out: Megaman

One_Step

~ In: Mr. Game & Watch, Marth, Lucario, Krystal, Wind Waker Link, AC Villager, Geno, Paper Mario, Unknown Wario franchise character, Wolf, Sukapon

UltimateX64

~ In: Ganondorf, Lucario, Geno, Bowser Jr.

~ Out: Ness, Mewtwo, Ridley, Wolf, Sukapon, King K. Rool

And even then they each have quirks I find odd...We can only wait for someone to be kind and take some pics of their review copy! ='D

You can stop watching One_Step Bill, after the rumor of 48 characters, his roster suddenly ballooned up.  
Laugh and the world laughs with you.  Weep and you weep alone.

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
One-Step Bill sounds like a good cowboy name.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Yeah, once I found out that he had "removed his list due to Nintendo asking him to" all credibility left him...That in itself was laughable...UltimateX64 is also confirmed fake, but there will be more prophets to replace the two I've bumped...

Oh, and apparently a fairly-long-time poster at GAF (MarkMan) knows the roster...He claims 35 characters (no more 3rd-party characters from what he implies) and 41 stages...  

So if true, this leaves 12 characters and 15 stages to go...

(Further interesting note:  35 characters matches what NyaseNya claimed, and the lack of 3rd party characters matches what she said about Megaman not being in...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
How does one become a prophet? What credentials does one need to have in order to be taken seriously? How much tangible proof does one have to have?

As you can see, I put little to no stock into what so called "prophets" have to say. Even if they are right, what does it get them; more credibility for the next game?

Edit: Apparently Marth, Roy, and Ness are not in Brawl, or at least that is what Brawl Central says based on some translated scans (and we all know how good their translation team is).
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion

Oh, and apparently a fairly-long-time poster at GAF (MarkMan) knows the roster...He claims 35 characters (no more 3rd-party characters from what he implies) and 41 stages...  

So if true, this leaves 12 characters and 15 stages to go...

Well we've talked about the characters in the other thread so I'm going to take a shot at the remaining stages.  My guess is that the remaining stages will be.

- A stage for Sonic, F-Zero, Game and Watch and whatever series mystery icon 19 represents.

- A second stage for Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and Donkey Kong

- 6 more classic stages

- Some kind of crazy Smash Bros only stage that you'll get after unlocking all the other stages.  It would explain why there's 41 stages.  When they have an odd number of something to get, the last one is usually something special.  Similar to how in Melee they had 51 event matches and the last one was the insane fight against Mewtwo, Ganondorf and f*cking Giga Bowser.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Oooo, fun!  Here's my predictions...

~ Green Hill Zone
~ Big Blue (Remake of Melee or new one)
~ Luigi's Mansion
~ Flat Zone II
~ Venom (New)
~ Saffron City (Classic or New)
~ Mushroom Kingdom (New)
~ Mushroom Kingdom III (Super Mario 3)
~ Final Destination
~ New Franchise Character stage (totally hoping for Isaac, so Venus Lighthouse!)
~ Outset Island (avec giant killer pig .)
~ Green Greens (New)
~ Dr. Mario/Panel de Pon (Fighting during a puzzle game of some sort)
~ Donkey Kong Country stage (Jungle Japes again?  I'd prefer Gangplank Galleon!)
~ Super Secret Crazy Stage!  

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
Similar to how in Melee they had 51 event matches and the last one was the insane fight against Mewtwo, Ganondorf and f*cking Giga Bowser.

I loved that event, tis was Jigglypuff's time to shine. I hope there is something similarly daunting as the last event in Brawl.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
I don't care what credentials MarkMan may have when it comes to spoiler info.  35 characters is not the limit.  Think about it:  Even though six were clones, we had 26 in Brawl.  You take away the clones, and that's twenty.  That means fifteen newcomers, right?  That's not counting Ganon/Ganondorf, either.  So we know twelve newcomers right now, don't we?  So basically, that means there'll be three new characters to unlock we don't know of, if there are 35, assuming anyone who wasn't a clone in.

Now I'll bite: Let's take out Ness and we'll take out Mewtwo, as well.  Ganondorf, we'll say, is still in.

We've got 25 characters confirmed on the Dojo as of now.  Luigi is definitely back in, Jigglypuff is almost certainly back in, Captain Falcon is definitely back in, and so far, the icons suggest Mr. Game-and-Watch returns, too.  Add in Ganondorf, and likely Marth, since he is the absolute Fire Emblem staple.  Take out Pichu, Mewtwo, Ness, Roy, and Falco.  So then, we add the six most-likely returning characters that were unlocks in Melee to our 25 confirmed, and we've got 31.  That leaves room for four new secret characters total for Brawl.  That number just seems surprisingly low, considering ideas have Krystal, Wolf, Lucario, King K. Rool, perhaps a Koopaling, Kamek, Ridley, and some lesser known characters from NES games, or the FDS.  There's no new Zelda character in there, either.  And those are just characters that get mentioned a lot that would already share an icon with current characters.  Don't forget that we've got at least one new franchise on the way, and don't forget there's a half-decent chance of Falco and Ness to return.  Oh, and a possible Animal Crossing character, though the only AC thing we haven't seen is the GCN version's villagers.

I'm just saying that 35 is a horribly limiting roster when you look at how Sakurai likes to reveal characters.  It's almost certain that the ones we've seen are the starting roster, that they don't have to be unlocked.  After all, with Melee, he unveiled the unlocks after the game was released, and he's said he's worried about Spoilers when the game does come out, too.

Then, I've got a bone to pick with 41 stages.  How many stages are in Melee? 29.  We already know of 26 in Brawl, and Sakurai said there's more melee stages than what he has announced.  So then, that means there's fifteen stages left, included an F-zero stage, a Sonic stage, not to mention, apparently with two characters, there's two new Metroid stages with an oldie returning, and then there's only two new Mario stages, for several more characters.

Honestly, if we imagine 35 characters, we can imagine at least one stage per character, for the most part, right?  I mean, sure, there were only two Pokemon stages and four Pokemon, but Kirby had two stages all to himself, when you exclude retro stages.  Not to mention, this game isn't as rushed as Melee was, so they probably won't force out of place stages on clones, since it's unlikely that there will be any clones.  So if we assume that there will be one stage to a character, we've got 35 stages.  Then, add in Pictochat, Battlefield, and Final Destination, and assuming there are no other stages, there's not enough room for the Melee stages!  If you'd like to credit the Melee stages as stages that match specific characters, that's fine, we'll just look at Samus:  Three stages for two characters.  Well, that doesn't match up.  What about Fox?  Two stages for one character.  Remember, there isn't really space for Falco this time with our 35 character limit on the roster.  Then you've got Lucas, with two stages to himself.  We had to take Ness off, too.
So basically, if there were a unique stage for every character, there are too many stages to match 41 stages.  If you want to say that some characters will be paired up with Melee stages, then the characters represented by the stages won't match them at all.  And since this game isn't supposed to be a rush job with clones and mis-matched stages, I wouldn't think this is true, anyways.

Basically, my point is that at least his number of characters or his number of stages is off.  What we've suspected is returning already fills too many gaps, without the new unannounced things.  Sakurai said "...more characters than we can imagine..." and I certainly can imagine ten more characters than what we saw in Melee, in fact, we already have twelve more, so I'll be honest, this 35 character stuff doesn't really cut it with me, and I'm almost certain that each character will have at least one stage to his or her name, too, so 41 is likely too low as well, with the melee stages included.

Of course, I could just be dreaming big, and we could have learned all the secrets in the dojo already, but like I said, as far as we've known, Sakurai doesn't do that, and it's likely that most everything in the Dojo is there from the start, or, at worst, is a random find, like stickers, some trophies, and CDs.  35 is just wrong.  41 is just wrong.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
I think you better stop right there or you'll just end up being disappointed in the end...It's definitely best to settle on 35 characters and then be pleasantly surprised if there is somehow more... =)

If you want to see a realistic character breakdown, check out towards the end of the "Predict the character roster" thread...  

Edit: Actually, I'll just breakdown what I said in here...

The obvious ones are:
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Ganondorf
Mr. Game & Watch

The sorta obvious ones are:
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ness
Mewtwo

However, look at the amount of Pokemon we have in the game...Every single one of them is from the first generation of Pokemon...I think one of them will be bumped for a more recent addition, and the most realistic of these is Mewtwo, who could be easily given a big boss role in the SSE to make up for it...This leaves 7, allowing 5 newcomers, 1 of which will be a new franchise...

Most likely newcomers:
Wind Waker Link
Krystal
Lucario
Geno
Ridley
AC Villager

Okay, so we can pick 4 from this motley crew...The first one to be possibly bumped is Ridley, who can be given a big boss role in the SSE...Wind Waker Link seems like a given to me, with his popularity and hold in the Zelda franchise, and he could easily be given a complete move set makeover to make him worthy as a newcomer...Krystal also seems to be a given, considering her being a worthy replacement of the clone, Falco...Lucario also represents the newest generation of Pokemon...This leaves one more, between Geno and AC Villager, and it's a very tough choice...It truly is a toss-up, but who knows what Sakurai's reasoning would be...

Finally, there is the new franchise:
Isaac
Lip
Takamaru
Sukapon
Ray
OTHER

Characters like Wolf, Kamek, Koopa Kid, etc, make no sense really, either due to popularity issues or just the fact that they would be a pointless "clonesque" character (Wolf) that has a much more fitting replacement (Krystal)...35 seems low, but then again you have to think that there appears to be NO CLONES...Taking that into account, it's a jump from 19 unique characters to 35...Yes, people will be disappointed if there really is only 35 characters, but overall this roster can't possibly be any worse than Melee's... =)      

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
I'd agree, but I refuse this time.  I'm getting my hopes up.  Officially.

Imagine that the Dojo never existed.  Now imagine we're where we are now, knowing the characters and stages from the demos.  If you were to describe the concept behind CD's to me, I'd likely call you a liar and say it's too good to be true.  If you were to tell me that the "Adventure" mode is a Kingdom Hearts-ish mish-mesh of several different Nintendo worlds, lasting at least a few hours, I would doubt you very much.  If you were to tell me simple modes like the Home Run Contest were two player, I'd be shocked.  2-Player online?  Stunned.  If you were to tell me that the main Adventure mode were two player, like Kirby's Super Star, I be ecstatic.  If you were to mention more events than last time, partly due to 2P events, I couldn't believe it.  How about that when a player lags out online, he or she is replaced by a bot.  Who would believe that?

There's more.  Much more where that came from.  Sakurai went all out on this game.  Melee was rushed garbage compared to what Brawl will be, and Melee was perhaps the best game on the GameCube.  I'm gonna be optimistic, I'm going to dream big, and I'm going to hope for everything I want to be included, because already. more than what I could have asked for is included.  I'm convinced that much of the best is yet to come, and no one, not until the game comes out, will convince me otherwise.  If I wind up disappointed, then I'll be disappointed.  I won't be disappointed.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Bah, I should have made a new post instead of editing my last one... =3

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Why are you assuming only one of the newcomers will be from a new franchise?

edit: And apart from the look, how would Wind Waker Link avoid being a "clonesque" character?
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
Well it's so hard to pick 4 from the first list (all of who but Lucario are on Sakurai's list) that I'd honestly be surprised if there was more than one new franchise newcomer...

As for Wind Waker Link, he wouldn't be a "perfect" non-clone, but I'll pull a move list out of my *** for you! ='D

B: Fire/Ice Arrows
Up+B = Deku Leaf (In the air it's a recovery that can be used to attack...On the ground it'd work the same way as it does in the game, to blow opponents away)
Down+B = Iron Boots (Used in the air, it can be used to hurt enemies below you and can be used to keep your ground, but basically restricts your movement)
Over+B = Megaton Hammer (a powerful, but slow to activate, attack)
Grab = Grappling Hook
Final Smash = Hurricane Spin  

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Okay, you're right, there's great potential there. Not remembering all those things makes me want to go back and play WW some more. Maybe after I beat the other half dozen Zeldas I haven't finished yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Yeah. Thanks to those advanced sword moves you learn in WW, that Link could even have different basic Melee attacks from regular link.

I wonder if Paper Mario might show up as well. His attacks could use his hammer and his various partners from the series.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: anubis6789
Edit: Apparently Marth, Roy, and Ness are not in Brawl, or at least that is what Brawl Central says based on some translated scans (and we all know how good their translation team is).

I just read their translations and the thing is that they are ASSUMING that they won't return because Famitsu is talking about them as if they were a thing of the past (remember Ness? Yeah, he was cool...).

As for the rumored final number, 35 DOES seem disappointing, especially in an era where fighters can have up to 100 characters at a time, but at the same time its a realistic number. I'll be REALLY surprised if Sakurai and his team managed to create more than that.

They DO say that the game will have an unprecedented number of characters, but it could all be developer hype or they could be talking about how the final roster will feature an unprecedented number of characters for a Super Smash Bros. game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: pap64

As for the rumored final number, 35 DOES seem disappointing, especially in an era where fighters can have up to 100 characters at a time, but at the same time its a realistic number. I'll be REALLY surprised if Sakurai and his team managed to create more than that.

And all those fighting games with 100 characters are extremely unbalanced and broken like crazy.  Not to mention the reason they have so many characters is because they just keep piling them on from previous games.  Marvel vs Capcom 2 had over 50 characters because the majority of them were thrown in from previous installments.  The same with Capcom vs SNK 2 with close to 50 characters as well.  Morgans outdated mid 90's sprite makes this extremely obvious.

Smash Bros on the other hand actually updates all it's characters.  We don't see Link walking around with his Melee model or Donkey Kong's blocky N64 model in Brawl.  And so when Sakurai updates all the returning characters, this alone takes a lot of time.  Then there's the fact that making unique characters is also very hard and time consuming.  

Melee as we all know was only able to make 7 (8 counting Sheik) new and unique characters while the other 6 had to be clones.  Brawl on the other hand already has 11 (14 if you count Zero Suit Samus and all of Pokemon Trainers Pokemon) new and unique characters.  So even if Brawl is only able to have 4 new characters, the game would still already have over twice as many new characters then Melee did.

The last and most major fact is balance.  Making the characters is the easy part while balancing them is the hardest.  This is why fighting games that are rushed end up unbalanced.  It takes a lot of time to make sure all the characters are balanced out, and the more characters you have, the more time is required to balance them out.

So when everyone looks at everything it takes to create new and unique characters as well as update all the veterans and makes sure they're all balanced well, 35 characters in the final roaster is a very justified number.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd rather have 20 unique, balanced characters than 30-40 characters and blatant tiers.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

Originally posted by: pap64

And all those fighting games with 100 characters are extremely unbalanced and broken like crazy.  Not to mention the reason they have so many characters is because they just keep piling them on from previous games.  Marvel vs Capcom 2 had over 50 characters because the majority of them were thrown in from previous installments.  The same with Capcom vs SNK 2 with close to 50 characters as well.  Morgans outdated mid 90's sprite makes this extremely obvious.

Smash Bros on the other hand actually updates all it's characters.  We don't see Link walking around with his Melee model or Donkey Kong's blocky N64 model in Brawl.  And so when Sakurai updates all the returning characters, this alone takes a lot of time.  Then there's the fact that making unique characters is also very hard and time consuming.  

Melee as we all know was only able to make 7 (8 counting Sheik) new and unique characters while the other 6 had to be clones.  Brawl on the other hand already has 11 (14 if you count Zero Suit Samus and all of Pokemon Trainers Pokemon) new and unique characters.  So even if Brawl is only able to have 4 new characters, the game would still already have over twice as many new characters then Melee did.

The last and most major fact is balance.  Making the characters is the easy part while balancing them is the hardest.  This is why fighting games that are rushed end up unbalanced.  It takes a lot of time to make sure all the characters are balanced out, and the more characters you have, the more time is required to balance them out.

So when everyone looks at everything it takes to create new and unique characters as well as update all the veterans and makes sure they're all balanced well, 35 characters in the final roaster is a very justified number.

I agree completely with you. Like S_B said just now, I rather have a small number of unique characters than 40 or more that are either broken or clones.

I simply bring it up because I KNOW there will be some fanboys who will bitch at the low number of characters and say something like "I don't care if half of the roster are clones, I wanted more than 30!".

Not to mention that each character now has an unique FS attack which takes a lot of time to create and balance.

Doing that 40+ times can be painful and time consuming.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
While I still expect more than 35 characters, 35 isn't a bad number. So far, they've added 11 completely original characters (not counting fake Ness). I'm okay with that.

It took a few years for Melee to get old. What made the game fun again after that, for me anyway, was playing against someone I've never played against before, so WiFi support basically makes Brawl almost infinite replay value. I'm not too concerned with the character roster or the stage list (especially with the stage editor) because the real fun will be had online which hopefully Nintendo will have running smoothly by the time the game comes out.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
Well, thanks to some careless video editing, Nintendo has made the first totally confirmed leak:  Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff are back, and Mewtwo is almost certainly out.

If you want evidence, take a look at the video I'll edit on to this post in a few minutes.  At about 4:20 into it, there's stickers, and if you pause the video at the right time, you can see the above characters' faces.

Here we go: http://wii.com/jp/movies/smashbros-movie1/

We've all probably seen this trailer before, but look at the bottom right corner during the stickers, and pause the video on every sticker for the proof.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: thatguy
4:20

TEEHEE
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
Zelda light arrows.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
I am just happy that it appears that there are differences, although seemingly slight, between Zelda's and Sheik's version of Light Arrow.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
What stage is this update on again?