Author Topic: Wii U - e3 is over... now what?  (Read 1572452 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:12 PM »
Looks too much like a mini XBox 360. I hope it's just a mock-up and the actual unit will be different. And also gets a reset button.
I'm not really a fan of it either. It's very asymmetrical.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 04:02:17 PM »
Chozo: Impressions are positive regarding the ergonomics and weight.

But these impressions come from people playing tech demos for no longer than 15 minutes. How would it work for someone playing a game like COD for several hours?
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2011, 04:04:08 PM »
I'm sure they're comparing the weight to every other controller that's ever been on the market. If it was heavy, they would make note of it.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:17 PM »
Looks too much like a mini XBox 360. I hope it's just a mock-up and the actual unit will be different. And also gets a reset button.
What She said.

Looking at that picture of the uMote look smaller then in the conference.  I don't think its a secret around here that I love the ergonomics of the Original GBA so I probably move the speakers in and round the bottom so your wrists go a little bit in.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2011, 04:06:42 PM »
I was never concerned about the weight of it. My concern is mainly with the joints on my thumbs. Is this controller going to work for a marathon of dual shock action in a game like COD? That will be the real test. Nintendo doesn't really make games like that themselves, so it wouldn't surprise me if they failed to take that into consideration.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 04:08:13 PM »
You are talking about how comfortable it feels...I'm sure you can tell if it feels comfortable or not very quickly.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:49 PM »
You're mistaking art style and graphics. The edges are pretty smooth in NSMBM so they're using the bumped up specs. It looks exactly how it's supposed to look. So you don't like the art style in the New Super Mario Bros. series. Hey, neither do I.

I would probably prefer something a little more SSB like.  Mario in SSB Brawl looks great AND he still looks like Mario.  It isn't like they made him all "edgy" or anything like that.  Since the Gamecube, Nintendo's visual approach to Mario has been very lazy, like they just do it "good enough" and no more.  But I honestly didn't notice the difference.

Ian, you know your getting all the 1st party goodness, you know it's going to look and play great with this new tablet, and now you know some really good 3rd party games are coming, what could be the problem?

I don't know that.  Wii games RARELY played great or looked good.  Nintendo released some total dogs last gen so I can't count on them for quality like I used to.  I lost faith in them so they have to win me back.  Having blind faith that they will deliver when I felt they didn't last time doesn't make sense.  They have to show me.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:09 PM »
Yes Metriod looked terrible. Galaxy was horrible. Epic Yarn was the worst piece of **** to grace the console.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
I'm seeing my name getting thrown around a lot, so let's get a few things straight:

1.  I don't hate the new name because it has the name "Wii" in it that I associate with a really terrible console.  I hate the name "Wii U" because it's a terrible name that you have to explain for it to make anything approaching sense.  It also looks terrible in writing and makes me feel like a fool saying it.  I was prepared and even ok with seeing the Wii brand used again in this name.  This is just a really crappy application of it.

2.  I'm happy the new console may have the technical firepower of current generation consoles, if not better.  I have few issues there unless it's only as powerful as current generation consoles, which will hurt it when the new Playstation and Xbox release with better specs.  It could be the Wii issue all over again.

3.  My main issue with the Wii U 3rd party support is that we got a demo of 3rd party games that are already going to be on current generation consoles earlier.  I have a 360 and a PS3.  Why should I care when they didn't show off any 3rd party exclusives, and they showed absolutely zero Nintendo 1st party titles?  Why should I buy this device?

4.  That controller is an abomination.  Setting aside that Nintendo didn't give me any reason to think this touchscreen will do anything to "revolutionize" gaming that hasn't already been done on the DS, the layout is terrible and just hurts to look at.  And what's with forcing the 3DS' circle pads on us?  What was wrong with analog sticks?  The entire controller just feels like Nintendo wanted to design another handheld but decided instead to make the handheld a controller.  It doesn't look like a good controller for consoles.

I was prepared to be invested in this console, as I was a lifelong Nintendo gamer until this generation.  This press conference was terrible, though, and Nintendo failed to give any reason why anyone should buy the Wii U.  Everything it does is done just as well or better by consoles or handhelds already out on the market.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:22:53 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 04:19:33 PM »
Mario in SSB Brawl looks great AND he still looks like Mario. 
I'd argue that. In Brawl his clothes were too detailed, Mario has always had a simple art style and showing the stitching on his overalls is too much and doesn't fit the simple personality of Mario. Also, his colours are far too dull and his shading is too dramatic. It did not look like Mario at all, but rather a "hardcore" gamer's warped perception of what Nintendo game should look like. Bleh.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
And you people complain that the staff can be too anti-Nintendo. We were all really excited during the conference, and we were shocked when someone pointed out how negative the reaction here was.

I think what we saw (or more accurately, what we didn't see) pretty much guarantees that it's not coming out until Holiday 2012.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:33:18 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 04:27:06 PM »
Wii U sounds like a school.

I like the controller. I have small hands and I'm not worried. There's a lot of potential here. I hope it's possible to watch Netflix and play a game at the same time.

I like the Galaxy look the most. It graphics are sharp but still cartoony which suits Mario. New Super Mario Bros. makes everything so bright and plastic-y. Bleh.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
"I hope it's possible to watch Netflix and play a game at the same time."

This. This. So this.

I hoping I can video chat and play at the sametime as well. If they can do that for Starfox 3DS, they should be able to do it for WiiU

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
Great IGN Impressions of the U.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:03 PM »
I made my list in what media I like it to support but that be cool.  I'm still holding out for using it as a universal remote, Hulu, Blu-Ray/DVD/CD, and DLNA.  Sill bummed by not supporting optical audio...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
So the console only supports asymmetrical multiplayer?  Wii U can't have more than one of the special controllers?  Thats disappointing. 

Also anybody watch Reggie GT interview.  He dodges questions like a politician.

Looking forward to the developer round tables.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 04:32:56 PM »
"So the console only supports asymmetrical multiplayer? "

Where was that said?

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
So the console only supports asymmetrical multiplayer?  Wii U can't have more than one of the special controllers?  Thats disappointing. 

Also anybody watch Reggie GT interview.  He dodges questions like a politician.

Looking forward to the developer round tables.

That is obviously not true. No demos showed it, but with talk about FPS and Sports games having your own screens for plays and such it is a safe bet 4 people use 4 seperate tablets.

And actually watch the GT interview Reggie actually yells at Jeff. Like raised his voice like an angry dad.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Great IGN Impressions of the U.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html
I really like to know how it holds covering both triggers and using the left analog stick with the right 4 face buttons.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
Something about Ninja Gaiden is exclusive to U. Special version or something I really dont know. It's something right Ian and other complainers?

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=15614

RomanceDawn

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
For me, I think the controller looks neat and has some potential, but the release of the system is so far off that I just don't care about it at this point in time. Plus there wasn't much that was actually shown, so there really isn't much to get excited about at this point in time. Closer to release I'm sure I will be, but for now, I wanted some more Wii games to occupy my gaming time between now and then. So that is why the conference disappointed me, it has little to do with the next system which looks fine at this point with the exception of the awful name.

I like the Galaxy look the most. It graphics are sharp but still cartoony which suits Mario. New Super Mario Bros. makes everything so bright and plastic-y. Bleh.
I agree, Galaxy looks pretty good. It's still a little too shiny for my taste, but on the whole it is a good look for a Mario game.

Offline ThomasO

• View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Huh. I just realized that "Wii U" is a phonetic palindrome. Intentional or not, it's kind of cool.

Wii U
(U-eee eee-U)

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2011, 04:53:37 PM »
that thing looks pretty sweet, the controller looks bad ass and has tons of potential, am sure we are going to see more games and hear more details at Tokyo Game Show, i remember back in 05 that nintendo announced the wii at e3 and the controller at TGS, so who know maybe nintendo still has something up their sleeves, still am happy with what i saw. the name does stunts a bit, dejavu i guess.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:55:44 PM by alegoicoe »
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
That's a good point, but like Mop it up also said, it'll be such a long time since it'll come out that there is PLENTY of time for more to be shown. This was like Nintendo giving us a sneak peak, which they rarely do.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2011, 05:17:31 PM »
I just finished watching the Reggie GT TV interview on Gametrailers, and while he was his usual vague bullet point-speaking self I was surprised to see him confirm that the Wii U will not upscale Wii games to play at the higher resolution.  Thing is, I'm not sure Reggie understood the question, because he acted like he was asked if the games would have high-resolution textures now when Keighly was asking about upscaling existing games like the PS3 can.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.