Author Topic: FEATURES: E3 '09 Predictions  (Read 20037 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
FEATURES: E3 '09 Predictions
« on: May 25, 2009, 07:04:29 PM »
Post your feedback to our predictions, as well as your own, here.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:06:33 PM by Mr. Jack »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: FEATURES: E3 '09 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »
Link's broken in the forums.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
Fixed
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:55:52 AM »
Not too many wacky and wild predictions. I think Miyamoto will have a new motion plus game in the works. Maybe that is Pikmin 3, we will see.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 12:08:44 PM »
Maybe Miyamoto's game is Dyanmic Slash.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
A lot of the staffers predicted a new Zelda.  Is there some indication of that or is it just wishful thinking?  Do you guys know something we don't? ;)

I'm not particularly optimistic but I can't help but be excited.  Go figure.  Whatever happens I think this E3 will really give an indication of what the Wii's legacy will be.  I tend to associate the Wii with really lousy third party support and a non-gaming focus from Nintendo.  After the negative reaction to last year's show I think how Nintendo reacts to that will indicate where their focus really is.  If they consider the old market to be important then last year was a mistake and they will try to make up for it.  And with third party support, come on, the Wii is about halfway through the normal console life-cycle.  If the Wii isn't the focus of third parties now then it NEVER will be.  It'll be spinoffs and shovelware forever.  If things are to improve then this E3 there needs to be major titles from the big third parties.  Not Resident Evil or Dead Space spinoffs.  It has to be on par with Dragon Quest X.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 12:18:09 PM »
To my knowledge, we have no inside information regarding a new Zelda.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:38 PM »
Wii's E3 life pretty much parallels GameCube's E3 life.  So at this time in GameCube's E3 life, both Reggie and Zelda debuted (2004).  2008's E3 was a downer, just as 2003 was (Pac Man VS).

If this E3 cycle is supposed to parallel the previous one properly, not only will the New Zelda be shown, but Reggie will announce Mini-Reggie(TM) or maybe his Ass-Taking Name-Kicking Reggie Twin Brother.

Considering Wind Waker came out in 2003 with a new Zelda shown in 2004, this cycle's 2nd Zelda is actually overdue.

And since Metroid Prime and Prime 3 came out in similar time frames, Retro's next project is also due this E3.  If there was a brand new Metroid in the works based on MP3's engine, it would come out this November...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:27:12 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:10:42 PM »
I looked at it from the standpoint of there not yet being a Zelda console game built from the ground-up for Wii, and the fact that Retro Studios has to be doing something other than porting Metroid Prime 2 to Wii and making a new front-end for the trilogy.  You don't need a 50-person team to make Metroid Prime Trilogy, that's for sure.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 01:34:17 PM »
dragon quest X is still some of the biggest news around, let's hope that gets a bit of play during E3. while we are at it, why not bring over guild wars? we could use a good online game.

i know we are in time for a new zelda, but somethng doesn't feel right for it. i suspect we are another year off from a zelda. and i think that it will be (for better or worse) NOT another ocarina of time style game. i think it will be different. how? that i am not sure of. i would just like to minimized the block pushing puzzles in this one.

i do suspect there will be a kid icarus/something else old but cool type of announcement.

oh and remember nintendo bought the xenosaga company? wouldn't it be nice if they did something with that? you know, like put those games on nintendo hardware?

just saying.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Hmm.  Amerika and Nintendo fans in general don't care about Dragon Quest.  What can Nintendo do to change that [NOW]?

If the next Zelda has more mind-fucking 3D puzzles in the scope and ambition of Metriod Prime 2's 3D morphball puzzles, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeahhhhh, Xeno company.  They made Disaster: Day of Crisis.
SMART MOVE NINTENDO, BUYING THE COMPANY TO PREVENT THE PROPERTY FROM GOING ELSEWHERE.  NOTHING'S GONNA COME OUT OF THEM.
D= D= D= D= D= D= D= D= D= D= D= =[ =[ =[ =[ =[ =[ =[ =[ =[

Id' sooo wish for another Battalion Wars game, at least with robust "here's a big map, figure it out" missions like the first and not the linear missions of the 2nd game.  And have a more robust online mode.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
BWiii  needs Wii Speak support, I played BWii a while back with fellow staff member Nick DiMola with Skype. Skype  helped out with our terrible amazing Co-op skills where we totally didn't kick our opponent's asses.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »
I played Co-op with Deguello some years ago.  We kicked 3 out of 4 asses, and we managed to utilize the in-game help/cover/whatever notifiers.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
With Spirit Tracks in development I just figured that Nintendo wouldn't release a new console Zelda around the same time as a portable one.  And it is being made by EAD, isn't it?  It isn't like in the past when Capcom handled the portable Zeldas.

I think I'm skeptical of a new Zelda and a new game by Retro being revealed at the same E3 because, well, it sounds too good to be true.  But Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy came out in the same year.  You never know I guess.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 02:56:47 PM »
I do think that Nintendo will move upstream this E3, MotionPlus is probably the harbinger of that: It improves the motion controls to allow more complex actions so most likely complex games will follow. Talking about core games here would be WRONG though, core doesn't mean "appeals to us", it means the specific values the HD consoles sell their games on (primarily graphics and cinematic style at the expense of length and difficulty).

It'll also be make or break time for Dynamic Slash, if that doesn't get shown at E3 it won't see a western release. I sure hope it gets shown though, information is really sparse and they've probably progressed enough to have something presentable at this time.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
So for everything to work, Retro has to be making Zelda.

!!

and Silicon Knights is making Man Icarus.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Pikmin 3 and WSR playable for sure. They've had a year and a half with Mutton Plucks so I hope they can make it a must-have device. Some sort of circus game (think Mario Galaxy with the bubble-balancing) and any kind of free-roaming jet pack game would be very exciting.

They've had smash bros, excite bots, and mario kart over the past year; i wonder what other multiplayer genre they might tackle besides fighting/racing?

Without any idea of Miyamoto's current hobbies other than kidnapping, we are just shooting in the dark.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
That reminds me, Sega should bring Lotion Puss Beach Spikers.  The first had excellent multiplayer, rivalling Mario Tennis.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
I can tell you exactly why so many people expect a new Zelda, besides the obvious potential with MotionPlus.

1998 - Ocarina of Time
2000 - Majora's Mask
2002/3 - Wind Waker
2006 - Twilight Princess
2009 - ?

It's right on schedule.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
I AM NOT RINK, BUT I DO KNOW HIM.

Expect that dude to walk out on stage again.

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »
I for one am getting sick of these negative Motion Plus name alternatives.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 07:31:50 PM »
I just hope that these are simply predictions and not expectations, because that is a good way to set yourself up for disappointment.

There are things I am hoping for but I am not expecting anything besides a showcasing of Wii Sports Resort. If that doesn't happen then that's the only way I'd be disappointed, since everything else is up in the air.

Second'd.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 07:37:54 PM »
Isn't there a rule that if a game shows up at too many E3s, it's destined to flop?

confirm/deny/Cloud/view results

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 07:59:40 PM »
There are things I am hoping for but I am not expecting anything besides a showcasing of Wii Sports Resort. If that doesn't happen then that's the only way I'd be disappointed, since everything else is up in the air.

Well, ****, if Nintendo doesn't show THAT then what are they going to show?  They would pretty much have to stand up on stage and say "hi, we're releasing no games at all for the rest of the year."

What I find funny is that it seems that everyone who uses them is very pro-Wii and tends to like what Nintendo was been doing and is looking forward to Motion+.  These names aren't being used to bash Motion+.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 08:15:48 PM »

Well, ****, if Nintendo doesn't show THAT then what are they going to show?
I don't know what they are going to show, but that's the point. Wii Sports Resort is the only game that's pretty much guaranteed to be shown, beyond that there's really no indication of what else might be there. Because of this, it is best not to expect anything such as a new Zelda or a game from Retro or something along those lines because it has just as much chance of not happening as it does actually happening. To set expectations is to set yourself up for disappointment; it is better to expect nothing and be surprised at anything which does come up.