Author Topic: The House of the Dead: Overkill  (Read 48571 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: The House of the Dead: Overkill
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2009, 02:42:22 PM »
Vudu I just brought them here. So people can have easy access to them.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:15 PM »
I beat this a couple days ago.

1. Shame about Varla, though it's not like she did really anything besides have ginormous jiggly boobs..

2. Mini-guns. Awesome.

3. The final boss is pretty gross. The whole giving birth to other zombies who in turn run up and attack you was out of contrizzol.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:30:46 PM by Adrock »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
I thought it was standard fare.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
I got this game and a Nyko Perfect Shot.  I'm having a lot of fun. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2009, 07:00:30 PM »
3. The final boss is pretty gross. The whole giving birth to other zombies who in turn run up and attack you was out of contrizzol.
The final boss is ripped right out of Dead Alive- the gorriest movie ever made (& kinda funny too)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 08, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »
Overkill is great fun, and I absolutely love how it's so easy to get right into the gameplay and start popping zom...err...mutants. It's especially refreshing after Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. RE:UC  was like... no, nice try, nope, you ain't getting no headshot! But Overkill just gives it to you by the bucket loads, it's a great feeling.

Oh, and the autoshotgun? It is SO OP. Man. So OP it's almost not fair or fun to use, haha.

I really loved the art style for this game, the sensibilities, and the over-the-top dialogue. I loved it all, and it reallt made the experience worth it for me. However, I can see the game's technical shortcomings as a major roadblock if you aren't able to see past that, and the game's length is also a big issue if you don't love arcade shooters.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23:54 AM »
I'm having a blast with this game, even more now with the gun shell that I recently bought. It's pure arcade bliss.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2009, 10:53:23 PM »
I actually picked this game up last Friday, but after a half hour of rather painful Wiimote play it became extremely obvious that the only way I was going to get any joy out of the game (after a half hour my wrist was suffering from a bad case of Wiimote arthritus) was to get a 3rd Party peripheral like the Perfect Shot.

While I was out today picking up Madworld, as it so happens that GS also happened to have a Perfect Shot. There being no GS near my home that carries them right now, I picked up the Perfect Shot as well. Good thing, too, because after a rather disappointing sports night I decided now was a good night to break in the Perfect Shot on House of the Dead: Overkill. Wow, what a difference the Perfect Shot makes in the game, as the game dramatically turned around for me from a stylish but painful and simplistic arcade shooter into a completely awesome light gun shooter. Seriously, the Perfect Shot fits my hand like a glove, and it feels just as good in practice as the old NES Zapper (only the Perfect Shot actually works consistently). Overkill is just plain fun, and I really appreciate that while it's a really short game (In just over an hour of play I've completed the first two levels and played the first again with more mutants), they've left plenty in there for you to do with lots of stuff to unlock via in-game achievements. Definitely the most fun I've had with a Wii game in ages, and with the Perfect Shot being such a vast improvement over the Wiimote for this kind of game...I might just pick up a used copy of Umbrella Chronicles and continue my old game. Accuracy is so much easier with a real gun trigger and steady grip...

For the sake of players who don't keep up on Wii peripherals, they really should have put a label on the game saying that the Perfect Shot is not only recommended for this game...it's absolutely required.  The Wiimote is just not built well to handle fast-paced shooters that rely on the B button and quick Wiimote movement.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:55:07 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2009, 12:02:17 AM »
1.  Reality check.  Shooting games with the Wii Remote only (and onscreen crosshair) are so easy it takes away some of the fun.

2.  You're not using gun shells correctly if you leave the crosshairs on.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »
I find HOTD:O much easier with the Wiimote by itself over the Perfect Shot.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2009, 12:52:56 AM »
I'm keeping the reticule on for the moment as I get used to the game and get the feel for where my shots will hit as I slightly tilt the Wiimote.  Just the slightest shift in the angle of the Wiimote can throw the reticule to the other end of the screen.  If I feel like it later, I'll turn the reticule off but I doubt it will come to that.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »
It almost sounds like you're positioned pretty far from the sensor bar.  Approaching the sensor bar will increase the physical tilt angle needed to swing the cursor across the screen, if comfort demands it.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »
It almost sounds like you're positioned pretty far from the sensor bar.  Approaching the sensor bar will increase the physical tilt angle needed to swing the cursor across the screen, if comfort demands it.

It's about 6-7 feet from my hand holding the Wiimote to the sensor bar.  That's the distance from my couch (reclining) to the TV, and that's not going to change.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2009, 01:41:36 PM »
Hmm.  Try experimenting with the calibration.  Don't aim directly at the targets, otherwise that will just reinforce your current dilemma.  Try symmetric spots inside or outside the targets, and see how it swings.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
But the sensor bar has a pretty ling cord if you wanted to move it closer...
maybe there is a table between you and the TV that you could put it on?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »
Hmm.  Try experimenting with the calibration.  Don't aim directly at the targets, otherwise that will just reinforce your current dilemma.  Try symmetric spots inside or outside the targets, and see how it swings.

I'm now almost sure you should aim outside the targets, to fake the extents of the outer perimeter.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 17, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »
But the sensor bar has a pretty ling cord if you wanted to move it closer...
maybe there is a table between you and the TV that you could put it on?

I suppose I could find something to sit the sensor bar on, but would that even work properly with the sensor bar so far away from the TV?

Anyway, I tried experimenting with the calibration a bit from my current setup, and I never did find a calibration I liked.  Besides, it's a lot less comfortable leaning forward and sitting upright to do the whole "light gun" thing without the reticule properly.

In any case, I did beat Story Mode last night with all the weapons purchased and upgraded except the Hand Cannon.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to manage beating that last level with only 1 life, as the exploding minions during the final boss nabbed me with a cheap explosion just before I beat the thing.  I then decided to jump into Director's Cut mode, which is a lot more fun...though apparently cash is extremely limited now.  Just out of curiosity, does your score get halved if you die and use a Credit in DC mode?  Or do you just lose the credit and you can keep going?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
>> The House of the Dead: Overkill * 480p
Unused opening sequence
Concept/sketch footage for "Papa's Palace of Pain" stage intro
FMV opening w/ pole, non-stripper

* Server might be slow on weekends

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
Just finished the game myself.  Loved the humor and spiff of videogame theme.

I don't know why DC had to be unlocked?  It's the only way to play IMO (what's the point of playing with Unlimited continues with a slim down game).

Wished for online play because playing just by myself was kinda boring.  Ended up using dual remotes just for the hell of it (makes it twice as fun IMO). 

And you do use score points for continues in DC mode. 

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2009, 11:30:57 AM »
ok, just got this and played the first four levels last night. great game. everything i wanted RE:UC to be in a shooter (i returned that one...) and as has been said over and over, the style and dialogue are great.

going to get a gun perphial though, agreed that just the wii mote wasn't the best way to play.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 31, 2009, 12:13:33 PM »
Get the Nyko Perfect shot - **** that, get two of them, and dual-wield the Wiimotes like a total geek badass. I'm gonna go get a second Perfect Shot today.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 31, 2009, 06:18:20 PM »
actually i got the nerf one. it can double as roommate defense when needed.

beat the game today. great game. used just the one pistol all the way through (though maxed its specs). sucks that it shows them loading the assault rifles and then you still get your pistol.

the self commentary at the end is priceless.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
The ending made the whole game worthwhile to me.
But I love b-horror grindhouse style movies with hilariously bad acting and stories.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »
You haven't experienced House of the Dead until you've taken on the undead with the Wii Wheel.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #199 on: July 03, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
Hold your judgement until you tried The House of MY ASS