Author Topic: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked  (Read 75832 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News: Sony Pictures Servers Hacked
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
Yup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/24/the-interview-vod_n_6377116.html

Might as well buy it for $15, cheaper than two tickets.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
Quote from: Press Release
Sony Pictures To Distribute “The Interview” Online Beginning Christmas Eve Through Google Play, YouTube Movies, Microsoft’s Xbox Video and Dedicated Website

Film To Be Widely Available On Demand Throughout The United States

[Culver City, CA – December 24, 2014] Sony Pictures Entertainment announced that The Interview will be available online across the United States starting today, Christmas Eve.

As of 10:00 a.m. PST, the film will be available to rent in HD on Google Play, YouTube Movies, Microsoft’s Xbox Video and the dedicated website http://www.seetheinterview.com at a price of $5.99. The film can also be purchased in HD for $14.99.

“It has always been Sony’s intention to have a national platform on which to release this film,” said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Entertainment. “With that in mind, we reached out to Google, Microsoft and other partners last Wednesday, December 17th, when it became clear our initial release plans were not possible. We are pleased we can now join with our partners to offer the film nation-wide today.

“We never stopped pursuing as wide a release as possible for The Interview. It was essential for our studio to release this movie, especially given the assault upon our business and our employees by those who wanted to stop free speech. We chose the path of digital distribution first so as to reach as many people as possible on opening day, and we continue to seek other partners and platforms to further expand the release.”

“I want to thank Google and Microsoft for helping make this a reality. This release represents our commitment to our filmmakers and free speech. While we couldn’t have predicted the road this movie traveled to get to this moment, I’m proud our fight was not for nothing and that cyber criminals were not able to silence us.

“No doubt the issues we have confronted these last few weeks will not end with this release, but we are gratified to have stood together and confident in our future. I want to thank everyone at Sony Pictures for their dedication and perseverance through what has been an extraordinary and difficult time.”

Fans can watch The Interview on several platforms including:

· Google Play: the movie is available to buy or rent at play.google.com, and can be watched in the Play Movies & TV app on Android and iOS phones or tablets, or streamed in the living room via Chromecast, Roku or the Nexus Player.
· YouTube: the movie is available at youtube.com/movies and can be watched on the web, in the YouTube app, or on select living room devices like Chromecast, Apple TV, PlayStation and Xbox.
· Microsoft’s Xbox Video: the movie is available to buy or rent on the Xbox Video app on Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and XboxVideo.com.
· SeetheInterview.com: In addition, The Interview is available at the dedicated website http://www.seetheinterview.com, which is sponsored by Sony Pictures and powered by Kernel and with payments through Stripe, a secure payment platform.

In addition to Google Play, YouTube, Microsoft and http://www.seetheinterview.com, The Interview is also being released in more than 300 United States theaters on December 25th.

Everyone be safe in your bunkers as you watch from home. Best Korea is preparing their retalliation.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »
Well, I know what I'm doing tonight.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »
It's weird what the Department of Defense has paid for over the years: GPS, Roombas, microwaves.

Weird.

GPS isn't weird at all. The military applications and benefits of that are pretty immediately obvious.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 25, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »
It's weird what the Department of Defense has paid for over the years: GPS, Roombas, microwaves.
Weird.
GPS isn't weird at all. The military applications and benefits of that are pretty immediately obvious.
GPS is obvious.  Microwaves for cooking was an accident but, the ability to fastly prepare food is also a good benefit.  Roombas would be a stepping stone technology.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Google's Doodle (it links to it on Google Play) today.

« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
I don't know if this is related or not but I can't access any of my Sony movies through Ultra Violet anymore. I sent out emails hopefully I can just get some iTunes codes instead and UltraViolet can do to hell where it belongs. It shows my library and tells me what movies I own but won't let me watch or download anything.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2014, 11:58:33 AM »
North Korea denies involvement, blames U.S for shutting down NK's internet

To be fair, North Korea is insane. So who the hell knows. The U.S did likely shut their internet down though.

In other news, the hackers of XBL and PSN also released The Interview for free download.

So what the **** is going on here? It just seems like a mess at this point. Hackers are messing with other hackers by releasing a movie the other hackers didn't want out. Or maybe its the same group and they are trying to confuse everyone. I actually would believe the Lizard Squad is responsible for both and that they are just trying to make it seem like there are two different factions at work.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2014, 12:50:08 PM »
Of course NK denies involvement. Who the **** would admit to that?

"Yes, America, we did threaten to blow up your theaters '9/11' style of Christmas Day. No harm, no foul, right?"

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
The XBL and PSN outage had nothing to do with Sony Pictures being hacked. Lizard whatever announced those plans a while ago, and Kim Dotcom got them to stop with...Mega Privacy vouchers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »
North Koreans trying to pay top dollar for copies of The Interview.
http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korean-demand-for-the-interview-2014-12

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
I wonder if Great Leader has seen the movie.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2014, 08:28:34 PM »
Whether or not NK actually did it, that's going to be the story because Sony looks really stupid if they admit that three script kiddies in a net cafe in Georgia* got the keys to the kingdom.

* The former Soviet republic, not the US state. I'm not sure how much of the state has internet
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
Theory: Sony Hack really an inside job!?
https://securityledger.com/2014/12/new-clues-in-sony-hack-point-to-insiders-away-from-dprk/

If true, I'll just say I knew it.
The north Korea angle just seemed tacked on after the fact once the media latched onto it. Didn't seem right to me. I figure at least one insider had to be involved. Whether or not NK was involved in some form or another is still up for debate though.

Edit: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0K71FK20141229?irpc=932
US suspects that N. Korea had help in the hacks. It had to be an insider/ex employee.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:34:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2014, 07:05:51 PM »
I am beginning to think this was all fake.  I would not be surprised is this was a marketing ploy gone very wrong. 

Sony thought that they could hype up their movie with a "real hack."  I would not be surprised if in the end all the information leaked was fake...and all these stories were advertisements for the movie. 

The biggest clue to this would be the hackers themselves talking about a Christmas Present on Christmas Day and then we got the movie that nobody was supposed to because supposedly Sony won.

Now, you might say what about all the damages and movie leaks...perhaps they believed that the release of those movies wouldn't truly have a negative effect.  I dunno...I just feel this could all be fake.

On the other hand, if it is real...and not North Korea...somebody is going to get caught and go to jail...only to be hired by the government to see how he did it. 

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »
There is no possible way that this is any form of a publicity stunt. This caused irreparable harm to the company and revealed several of their executives to be complete assholes, and released many names, addresses, social security numbers, etc.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2014, 10:35:59 PM »
A restructuring of the company? Many fired? Ex-employees disgruntled? This sounds like a logical motive, more so than anything that's come before it, so I'm more inclined to believe it.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2015, 07:20:08 PM »
Sony mad at Netflix for allowing their paying "pirating" users to access content across international borders....
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/sony-pictures-mad-at-netflixs-failure-to-block-overseas-vpn-users/

I would do it if I could get it to work for free. I don't really equate it to piracy, as I paid for access to Netflix. Seems more like an immoral loophole than an illegal act to me.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
Sony mad at Netflix for allowing their paying "pirating" users to access content across international borders....
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/12/sony-pictures-mad-at-netflixs-failure-to-block-overseas-vpn-users/

I would do it if I could get it to work for free. I don't really equate it to piracy, as I paid for access to Netflix. Seems more like an immoral loophole than an illegal act to me.

This really bothers me.  I live in South Korea…and technically I shouldn't be using iTunes or anything to access media not released in South Korea.  But, I try to buy all my media I watch.  Very rarely do I Bit Torrent, and I have watched some shows streaming online that I question the legality, but I almost always buy my shows off of iTunes.  But It if Sony or anyone else starts to limit IP location downloads then I am going to be upset.  Media needs to understand the era they are living in and change.  Universal release dates.  Let a single service or such be used world wide.  Don't limit us by borders, because honestly some people travel or live abroad. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2015, 08:14:24 PM »
not to mention that the very people they are mad at for VPNing across borders to access **** that is "available" yet not "available" on a service they have paid for, would only resort to finding it in other ways that cost them nothing at all should the convenience of a paid for legal service providing it all cataloged for them be taken away.

and whether or not they think they should be charging International streaming rights to Netflix for not blocking international streaming... well, maybe they should sit down with Netflix and work that out at a more reasonable price instead of potentially accepting nothing at all from all the people that will find a way regardless. Netflix has done the bare minimum beyond what is legally required of them in this instance, and personally I don't blame them. Where there is a will, there is a way, and blocking paying customers from finding additional value out of their service (through their own efforts and not at Netfllx's expense) is not in Netflix's best interest, regardless of the hardball that content providers want to play.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:02 PM »
It is the dying grip of a giant that does not realize it's time has come to a close.

I also try to be legal in how I acquire media (for the most part). But sometimes I am driven to alternative means because of dated media distribution. I wanted a special CD from a different country. It was never released in America. I found it on iTunes -but only in another country's region! It barred me from paying for it and a physical import is ~$25-30. It is little wonder people are driven to piracy when you actively block their honest purchases. I pirated that CD and later a similar collection of songs released in the states. I bought it to show my support for the band.

This article shows me to not buy anything digital from Sony.I see where they stand, calling consumers pirates. I hope Netflix and others keep the pressure on these media giants. Digital distribution should transcend traditional borders. Especially where they is no harm caused by the product being purchased.

Judging from Sony's current state, I think the right pressure could force them to adapt fully or perish.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
well they are supposed to run my story tomorrow. I will try to get a video to share if they do. We had to cut the part referencing Sony out though, so its now just a story about internet security.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2015, 08:09:53 PM »
This happened because of the Sony Hack, so I'll put it here.

Amy Pascal steps down -> start her own sub-Sony production company that is in charge of a few properties at Sony, such as Spider-man.
Spider-Man IP is now in co-production with Marvel Studios and before anyone ask, Marvel is the majority shot caller here. Amy/Sony is the money and the marketing. Marvel is the creative and the production.

So Sony hired a new head of Sony Pictures: Tom Rothman.
http://deadline.com/2015/02/tom-rothman-replaces-amy-pascal-sony-1201380416/

who is Tom Rothman though? former head of Fox.
It came down to Tom Rothman and Doug Belgrad, and someone had to lose in the battle to succeed Amy Pascal. Sony Pictures Entertainment chairman and CEO Michael Lynton today went with Rothman, the head of TriStar and former longtime co-leader of 20th Century Fox’s filmed entertainment division. Rothman this morning was named chairman of SPE’s Motion Picture Group.

Quote from: Devin Faraci of Badass Digest
Rothman used to run Fox during one of the great studio's low periods. He was cheap, so the movies often made money, but Fox was turning out absolute **** during his tenure. What's more, Rothman hates superhero movies, and he personally blocked a Deadpool film and refused to allow Sentinels to be used in an X-Men film. Like, he said in a meeting 'no giant robots.' Rothman became famous among nerds for micromanaging X-Men Origins: Wolverine to the point where he demanded sets be repainted without telling director Gavin Hood. It's pretty likely that the Marvel/Fox split (which is so ugly I can't even tell you - the two companies literally trolled each other in the media, which is what led to that Galactus being swapped for Daredevil story at one point) has a lot to do with Rothman.

and here is a list found at GAF detailing some of Rothmans more famous doings.
Things that Fox under Tom Rothman's eye has been bashed for (as far as I know):
*Editing "Die Hard 4" to make it a PG-13 film even though the previous three, had been R-rated. This pretty much meant that Bruce Willis couldn't say John McClaine's trademark "Yippie-ki-ya, mother ****er!" line as it was fully intended.

*The mismanagement of the production for "X-Men 3". For instance:
**Not waiting for Bryan Singer to finish working on "Superman Returns", and not having a replacement director until I believe weeks before filming was due to start. And when a director is finally hired, it's Brett Ratner, who has grown a reputation for being a hack, douchbag, MTV music video, action director.

**Not waiting for several actors (e.g. James Marsden, Rebecca Romjin, and Anna Paquin) to take care of prior engagements before filming. For in the process, certain characters were "killed off" as a matter of convinence.

**Seemingly rushing the production as means of retailiating against Bryan Singer for heading off to make "Superman Returns" (which also opened in the summer of 2006).

**Tom Rothman also allegedly didn't want Sentinels (the gigantic, mutant hunting robots) appearing in an X-Men film because he believed that audiences would immediately think that giant robots appearing in live-action would be too "silly". This was of course, before "Transformers" (a movie for which Tom Rothman allegedly turned down) came out.

*Ordering Ridley Scott to edit his movie "Kingdom of Heaven" to make it look like a more formulaic action-adventure film, when Scott intended for it to be much deeper.

*Having "Daredevil" edited to make it appear more like a summer blockbuster (i.e. more CGI) in the mode of "Spider-Man". "Daredevil" was initially conceived as a more violent, R-rated film in the mold of Frank Miller's run with the comics.

*Not giving the "Fantastic Four" films a better budget, to go along with hirining Tim Story (who is primarily known as a comedic director rather than a sci-fi, action-adventure director) and aiming for a campy, cookie-cutter, sitcomy feel. Rothman also allegedly thought that it would be better for us to see Galactus as a cloud.

*Trashing plans for an "ID4" sequel.

*Browbeating "LXG" director Stephen Norrington until he quit the business altogether. Rothman also allegedly almost convinced "I, Robot" director Alex Proyas to give up filmmaking.

- Tried to ruin X-Men (2000) by cutting down budget and moving the release date from November 2000 to May 2000.

- X2's budget get cut down too.

- Said no to Alien 5 by James Cameron and Ridley Scott because "We have a good script for AVP."

- Burton's Planet of the Apes remake being rushed into production. Which resulted Burton's comment "I'd rather jump out of a window than do Planet of the Apes 2."

but Rothman did a lot of good to the bottom line while he was there, just not when it came to comic or fantastical movies.
From 2000-2012, Tom Rothman was chairman and CEO of Fox Filmed Entertainment (FFE).[4] FFE includes 20th Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Blue Sky Animation, and Twentieth Century Fox Television.[4][11][14][15] During this time, the studio was nominated for over 150 Academy Awards, won three Best Picture Oscars, earned over $30 billion in worldwide box office sales.[11][15][17] Fox had the best profit margins of any movie studio.[7] Some of the films produced over Rothman's tenure include: Lincoln, Life of Pi, Descendants, Cast Away, Master and Commander, Black Swan, Walk the Line, Juno, The Devil Wears Prada, The X-Men series, the Ice Age series, Rio, and several others.[19] Under Rothman’s leadership, Fox produced Modern Family, Glee, and Homeland.

oh, and according to Latino-review, Feige/Marvel already insulated all Spider-man related productions from outside Sony influence. so no worries there.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=43091.msg863497#msg863497
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:11:39 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2015, 03:29:26 AM »
Wikileaks decided to archive all the Sony leaks into something searchable by subject.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/82585

that link takes you to the Drew Goddard email regarding Daredevil for Netflix and Sinister Six of Sony.

there was some drama, and Drew was about to get paid, but it sounds like it got resolved.... not sure if he still got paid out though... there was a lot of money coming his way from Sony if things had worked out.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2015, 08:37:35 AM »
The most interesting emails are the ones where Wheel and Jeopardy are almost fully digitized (yay!) and they want to charge $150 for a DVD (eff you).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.