Author Topic: Nintendo Sales Party: February 2021 US NPD Group Results  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Sales Party: February 2021 US NPD Group Results
« on: March 12, 2021, 04:24:00 AM »

Originally it was the day the music died - now 3D World gets the biggest slice of the pie.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/56532/nintendo-sales-party-february-2021-us-npd-group-results

As Mario's 35th anniversary celebrations wind down, the plumber picked up one more US sales victory according to the NPD Group's sales survey for February 2021.

Unless noted, all rankings and figures are based on dollar sales for the period of January 31 - February 27. Digital sales for Nintendo and Atlus published games on Switch are not included, though other 3rd parties do report their sales.

In hardware, the Switch's win streak in unit sales is now 27 months and it was also the top dollar seller in February as well (though its closest competitors are supply constrained). The unit and dollar sales are the highest in a February since the Wii in 2009, putting an upper cap on the system's sales at 753,000 units. The Switch is now also the second best selling Nintendo system (by revenue) in the history of the NPD survey, passing the DS and trailing only the Wii.

In software, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury was the top selling game in dollars (and copies sold) for February, and is the second best selling game of 2021 behind only Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War with its sales. The other Nintendo-published title in February, Bravely Second, did not make the overall top 20 or the Switch top 10, though it was only on sale for two days of the reporting period. (For comparison, Bravely Default was 10th in February 2014 and Bravely Second was 9th in a single-unit sales list in April 2016.) Two third-party February debuts also slotted into the top half of the chart, with Atlus's Persona 5 Strikers (February 22) stealing a third place finish and Little Nightmares II from Bandai Namco taking 6th.

Other Nintendo published catalogue titles in the top 20 are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in 8th, Animal Crossing: New Horizons in 9th, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 13th, Super Mario 3D All-Stars 15th, Ring Fit Adventure 16th, and Breath of the Wild 19th. 3rd parties were also represented by FIFA 21 (11th), NBA 2K21 (12th), Mortal Kombat 11 (14th), Just Dance 2021 (17th), Minecraft (18th), and Immortals: Fenyx Rising (20th): three quarters of the combined top 20 is available on Switch.

The Switch's top 10 sellers for February:

1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  5. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  6. Ring Fit Adventure
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  8. Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
  9. Super Mario Party
  10. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Sales Party: February 2021 US NPD Group Results
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 08:39:40 AM »
Must have been a slow month for Persona 5 Strikers and Little Nightmares 2 to be in the top ten.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
For Strikers, the original Persona 5 came out for the April 2017 report and it split Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (launch month) and Breath of the Wild (second month). P5 Royal finished 7th in its debut month last year on one platform. It's pretty popular!

As for Little Nightmares... Bandai Namco already said they shipped over a million, so landing 6th in the NPD chart when it's not full price is pretty damn good.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2021, 02:57:21 PM »
I wonder how Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury will end up saleswise compared to other 3D Marios. Looks like it may sell more than would be expected for such a release.

Little Nightmares II has really blown up. I guess the first game was really well-received for the sequel to hit the ground running as it did.

Gotta love the Switch record-streak continuing. It's broken the 360's record by a good margin now.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
I wonder how Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury will end up saleswise compared to other 3D Marios. Looks like it may sell more than would be expected for such a release.

To the majority of the world this is a brand new 3D Mario, so its going to sell like one.  Over 10 million plus is guaranteed and even getting around 20 million might be doable since Odyssey is currently at 20.23 million and that game continues to sell as well.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai