Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed!  (Read 53898 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Sonic Unleashed!
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:45 PM »
I just cant understand a single thing rat has said. It's all way over my head.

Yeah I sorta got off track as I typed. Sorry. Looking back I don't think I made the point I set out to make.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »
Note to self: don't get Rat started on anything Sega. He loves him some Sega.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
I think the lack of heavy Wii support might be because the 360 still sells more software.

Actually those software sales are thanks to shooters and sports games.  The Japanese companies have no reason to support the 360 like they are because all their games sell poorly, unless they're aimed solely at Western gamers like Dead Rising and Lost Planet were.

Plus there's the fact that games cost ALOT more on the 360/PS3.  It's said that developing just an average game for each system can cost over 10 million dollars and biggers games are closer to 20 million.  This is why Namco said they needed Ridge Racer 7 to sell over 500,000 copies, JUST TO BREAK EVEN!!!  The Wii on the other hand since it's based on Gamecube hardware developement cost are the same as the Gamecube was.  This means an average game for the Wii only cost around 5 million dollars.

The Wii is clearly the best system to develop for because of it's MUCH lower cost and the fact it has the largest userbase now as well.  Not to mention the fact that the Wii also has great software sales of ALL genre's of games and not just Western shooters like the 360.  Because of these facts the Wii is a great system to develop for but third parties continue to treat it like it's the Gamecube 2.  Even though all the hardware and software sales say the Wii is the true PS3, while the PS3 is the real Gamecube 2.

At the current rate, I'm afraid it's going to take until 2009 when the Wii has a 20 million unit lead over the 360 before third parties finally get off their ass and take the system seriously.  Just like how the DS needed a 20 million lead over the PSP.  And even then, I can still imagine them giving the 360/PS3 more support still just like how some companies like Capcom and Konami seem to still like giving the PSP more support, even though 90% of all there PSP games have been complete failures, while 90% of their DS games have been a success.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
Very soon, the Wii will be selling more total software monthly than the XBox 360 in the American market. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually already doing that worldwide.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
Very soon, the Wii will be selling more total software monthly than the XBox 360 in the American market. I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually already doing that worldwide.

Well considering how the 360 is non existent in Japan, and how it's doing poorly in Europe, yes the Wii is already selling better software worldwide.

Without the North American numbers, the 360 has only sold 6 million systems in the rest of the world, which is actually the exact same as the PS3 right now without American numbers.  Of course when you realize the 360 was out a whole year before the PS3, and in Europe it was much longer, that shows just how poor Microsoft is doing in the rest of the world.

And then when you look at the Wii without American numbers, is still over 12 million in the rest of the world.  Which is more then the 360 and PS3 combined.  Which once again shows how third parties are idiots to screw over the Wii now when it has the numbers it does.

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2008, 04:45:18 PM »
Either my glasses are broken and are relaying the world in subtle shades of stupid, or I just read that Sonic can turn into a werewolf in this game.  Bleh, when Sonic does stuff like this, the whole world just shakes its head.  Seeing Sonic morph into a werewolf is like seeing Jethro Bodine sitting on a silk pillow and playing a sitar.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2008, 08:38:42 PM »
That's like putting Mario in space. How can he breathe if he's in space? Seriously though, don't knock the game until you've tried it.
Luigi Dude wrote:
just like how some companies like Capcom and Konami seem to still like giving the PSP more support, even though 90% of all there PSP games have been complete failures, while 90% of their DS games have been a success.
Konami put a brand new numbered installment of Contra on DS. Of all Konami's handheld offerings, it's probably the best game of the bunch and they chose to put it on DS. Their major PSP offerings look far more impressive on paper when you really think about it. I would argue that Konami has put out better games on DS, but that's just my opinion. Capcom, alternatively, doesn't seem especially supportive of either handheld. Only Monster Hunter and the Ace Attorney series on PSP and DS repsectively come to mind in terms of major releases and we all know that the future of the Monter Hunter series will be on Wii. On the PSP side, we haven't heard anything about the Resident Evil and Devil May Cry installments that were supposedly in the works which probably means they got shelved.

I suppose with the spanking DS is giving PSP, fans expect these companies to drop all PSP support, but again, that's just being selfish. And maybe some of these games began development before DS took its massive lead. The PSP, when announced, sounded pretty great. It's not hard to see why developers took it for a winner. And I remember how stupid the DS looked when it was first unveiled.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:52:01 AM by Adrock »

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »
It's more like giving Shadow a gun.  Sonic doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to goofy concepts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:28:28 AM by ReverendNoahWhateley »
able.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2008, 08:12:07 AM »
I dont even understand why a werewolf, they are known for having big upper body muscles and being slow.
Is Sonic going to turn into bubsy the bobcat 3D?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 08:54:28 AM »
I dont even understand why a werewolf, they are known for having big upper body muscles and being slow.
I think you just answered your own question.  A WereWolf is the antithesis of Sonic and does not need an elaborate transformation story for it is already established.  Making it actually a fairly good choice and makes some of the side character superfluous so, we could see a solo adventure like SSR.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
I think you just answered your own question.  A WereWolf is the antithesis of Sonic and does not need an elaborate transformation story for it is already established.  Making it actually a fairly good choice and makes some of the side character superfluous so, we could see a solo adventure like SSR.

I was thinking about werewolfs more, and sega's last werewolf game was "Project altered beast" for ps2.
Im doubting the choice even more now, but I do agree might have more adventure

edit: sega could even use the same scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1n0RPFETNA
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:02:19 AM by Nephilim »

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
Either my glasses are broken and are relaying the world in subtle shades of stupid, or I just read that Sonic can turn into a werewolf in this game.  Bleh, when Sonic does stuff like this, the whole world just shakes its head.  Seeing Sonic morph into a werewolf is like seeing Jethro Bodine sitting on a silk pillow and playing a sitar.

It worked for Link.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 03:36:04 PM »
Sonic is again, the copycat.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »

It worked for Link.

Link has purchased his variation by being in generally well-received and high-selling games throughout.  Sonic's star has fallen and thus his variation is met with more skepticism.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

It worked for Link.

Link has purchased his variation by being in generally well-received and high-selling games throughout.  Sonic's star has fallen and thus his variation is met with more skepticism.

So, if you give Link a gun, and his quest is to kill everyone in Hyrule, nobody would mind it since its Zelda and it rocks, right? :p
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 12:26:50 PM by pap64 »
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
You all suck at not putting your posts in the middle of quotes.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »

So, if you give Link a gun, and his quest is to kill everyone in Hyrule, nobody would mind it since its Zelda and it rocks, right? :p

It worked for Link.

Throw in some exploration and wouldn't that almost be a Metroid game?
Samus has destroyed how many whole planets now?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
Unless it was some kind of Goron-made flintlock rifle, giving Link a gun would be goofy (and even then, it's a stretch).  For anyone not put off by the thought of Sonic becoming an anthropomorphic hedgehog werewolf, riddle me this: would you find it silly if he was an anthropomorphic hedgehog werewolf vampire cyber elf?  With three descriptors down, he's already halfway there.  Remember back when Sonic was a little blue guy that saved baby animals from robots?   

Again, I'm not savaging Sonic's newest outing, because for all I know it will be the greatest gaming extravaganza of all time.  Maybe the werewolf thing will be light-hearted and play to Sonic's strengths, like Mario sprouting a raccoon tail. 
able.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »
Werewolf = Knuckles + Donkey Kong

Someone crash this plane before it takes off.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »
Werewolf = Knuckles + Donkey Kong

Someone crash this plane before it takes off.

Got a box knife?

/endbadjoke
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 10:02:40 AM »
Rat, Capcom and the like supported the Saturn because it was N°2 in Japan (it was a distant N°3 elsewhere though)
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »
So what, what relevance does that have on this conversation? Getting back to the Wii, has it not occurred to anyone that maybe 3rd parties think the Wii is too casual for some of their games.

How do you explain companies who *supported* the 3DO? Dev's do what they want because it's what they want to do. I admitted that the point I was trying to make got lost.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 11:59:22 PM »
Getting back to the Wii, has it not occurred to anyone that maybe 3rd parties think the Wii is too casual for some of their games.
That's occurred to everyone. However, that logic is, ultimately, flawed. Casual games may sell well on Wii, but that doesn't meanthat "hardcore" games don't or can't sell well on Wii. See, I don't think 3rd parties are conspiring against Nintendo. Still, that doesn't mean they're not being hardheaded. How do they know "hardcore" games won't perform well on Wii when not a single one of them puts the effort in developing a game for that audience? No More Heroes does not count. First, it would have bombed on any console. Second, an audience has be established with bigger names from bigger companies. I'm confident that if, for example, Square-Enix developed a true Final Fantasy for the Wii, that same game would sell just as well as it would have on any other console.

The Wii is a big deal. It's sales are proof of that. It can appeal more "hardcore" gamers if 3rd parties would give it a chance.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2008, 03:27:19 AM »
No More Heroes does not count. First, it would have bombed on any console.

Actually, No More Heroes did great.  Here in America it's sold over 100,000 copies which makes it the best selling Suda 51 game EVER.  Yes in Japan it did poorly, but all of Suda's games have done bad in Japan.  And even then, No More Heroes is actually Suda's second best selling game in Japan behind the PS2 version of Killer 7 which only sold around 25,000 copies over there.

Then this isn't even counting the Europe sales of the game which are bound to be higher then Japan since Wii software in Europe sells better then Japan.  Plus we don't know the legs this game might have, so really it could have the potential to sell over 200,000 when it's all said and done.  Which is an amazing number for someone like Suda who makes games on such a low budget.

This is what makes the Wii such a great system for small developers like Suda 51.  PS3/360 development cost over 3 times as much as the Wii, which means their games have to sell 3 times as many copies just to break even.  If a game only has to sell over 100,000 copies on the Wii in order to be a success, it would need 300,000 on the 360/PS3.  And since low budget games from smaller studio's are really lucky if they even hit 200,000, this makes them perfect for the Wii, since on the 360/PS3 they'd have to sell over 300,000 just to break even, which is something that they hardly have any chance of doing.  While hitting 100,000 on the Wii is very possible.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2008, 04:13:41 AM »
I was referring to NMH bombing in Japan specifically. In any case, the NMH reference was really besides the point.