Author Topic: Nindies @ Home Impressions Thread  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Nindies @ Home Impressions Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »
This doesn't seem unreasonable for a pre-release build though. Does it?  (Maybe that depends on what the actual release date is supposed to be though.)

True. I guess I should clarify. Controls for most games feel sluggish and slower than what we're expecting, and that can certainly hinder gameplay experience.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
Most of the games had long pauses while loading or reloading. I hope these issues will be fixed before release.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »
Rive: I have a lot of respect for Two Tribes as Toki Tori is one of my favorite puzzle games of all time.  Rive, however, seems to stutter a bit when there's a lot of action on screen and I found the boss fight to be too easy (I just sat in the corner and held down the "shoot" button to defeat it.  It could shape up to be a great game, but I need to see it again closer to release.

Freedom Planet:  Loved the style, but the controls seemed overly complex to me.  I guess I was expecting the simplicity of the Sonic controls.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 01:58:57 AM »
first time really venturing into the nintendo console forum since E3. I should have kept up with this thread to shamelessly shill respond to the impressions on Freedom Planet, as it is a game I really care for a lot and feel that it has it's chance at a second life on Wii U. The game kinda unfairly got buried last year for it's steam release, coming out SO close to shovel Knight and not really having the same hype vehicle as that game did.

Freedom Planet is  a game that indeed begin it's life as a fangame distributed around sites like Sonicretro.org and SSRG, but they eventually decided to take the idea away from simply being a sonic fan game and do their own thing with it. one thing the Wii U demo didn't have were some of the other characters, which make the game considerably less sonic-like.

The control of mid-air momentum makes a lot more sense when you play a character like Carol the Wildcat or Milla the hound. Carol plays more akin to zero from mega man X with her claw combos and distinct wall jump, while... I'd honestly say Milla is something more inspired by Yoshi than something like tails. she has a block tossing attack and a shield attack that she can aim out at enemies, and her 'flight' behaves a bit more like a souped up version of Yoshi's flutter jump than Tails' flight.

This isn't even including the two stretch goal characters that haven't come out, such as Commander Torque's Gunstar Heroes inspired gun upgrade system or Spade, who will have some sort of deck of cards thing going on that changes his attributes and methods of attack or something!

Or the crazy ammount of level variety! there's a SHMUP level that's VERY inspired by the kirby SHMUP interludes. The attention to detail is great, and the dev's love for the project shows with how much they are willing to outreach to the community. one of the most telling videos about freedom planet was one time where they basically approached Slowbeef of Retsupurae fame (he also headed the coding on Policenauts fan translation and did the first sort of video upload of a video game with voiceover for the entire lengh of the game ever.) and did a stream with him and got him to completely turn around on a game he probably wouldn't have given a second thought about otherwise.

Please, I implore you folks; give this game a try when it comes out! I really do love it and want to talk about it with more people!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 03:43:11 AM »
I liked the demo. Freedom Planet's on my list.It was supposed to be out Aug 3rd, but got delayed.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »
I liked the demo. Freedom Planet's on my list.It was supposed to be out Aug 3rd, but got delayed.

Is there a new release date, or not specified yet?

I ended up enjoying Freedom Planet way more than expected. It went from "vaguely aware of" to "definitely interested in" after seeing some more of the game.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »

Is there a new release date, or not specified yet?

I ended up enjoying Freedom Planet way more than expected. It went from "vaguely aware of" to "definitely interested in" after seeing some more of the game.

https://twitter.com/galaxytrail/status/626050018831679488

Not specified, but doesn't sound too long.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 12:35:53 AM »