NWR Interactive > Podcast Discussion

RetroActive 49: Resident Evil: Revelaitons

<< < (2/4) > >>

pokepal148:
For anyone who is like me who is stuck with a new 3DS for this game, there is a C-stick mod that a bunch of Monster Hunter players use but it also makes the C-stick much more usable on the new 3DS. I don't think this video has ever been posted on the forums before. It's totally unprecedented.

Link because the YouTube embed system on the forums has been broken for years and anyone who claims it works is a dirty liar.

Lemonade:
I havent made as much progress yet as I would have liked, but this evening I finished Episode 3. I m liking the game so far. The thing that impresses me most is just how amazing it looks on 3DS, especialy with 3D. It generally runs pretty well too. Although I have noticed it really chugs when loading new areas.

So far, I have played it on the OG 3DS with the Circle Pad Pro. The next time I play it, Im going to swap over to the XL and CPP XL for the next few episodes. Im currently borrowing both of the CPP from a friend, so its my first time using them. The game controls really well with it and is clearly designed to be played this way. The game launched with it, so it makes sense. I havent tried the controls without it yet.

I will swap to the New 3DS at some point and see how it is with the C Stick.

One thing that bothers me a little is the map. It has a dot to say where to go, but it can be hard to work out how to actually get there. I spent a while at the end of episode 3 just walking around the ship.

Order.RSS:
Just started on the Wii U, for that truly portable (within 3 feet) experience. Finished the first two episodes. If the episodes continue being these short chunks, I'm all for that. Makes you feel like you're making progress quickly. The recap is a little ridiculous though.

Haven't played many third person shooters like this before, so my closest point of reference there is... Mass Effect 3? It's kind of annoying how your character obscures a good third of the screen. Ammo seems well-distributed so far, you don't get too much, but also not too little.

So far I don't like any of the characters, besides maybe Jill thanks to a decent voice actor. Parker and Jessica seem rather one-note so far, and if O'Brian doesn't turn out to be a bad guy I'll be very surprised. Chris hurting his foot so you're pinned down while wolves attack, but then immediately healing the moment they're gone is some really uninspired scenario writing.

It's interesting how male gazey this game feels too: Jill's design seems like a mix of cleavage catsuit and Tomb Raider straps, there's a monster POV shot leering at her butt in a cut-scene, and when she wakes up on the bed you get that typical legs-pan-up-to-face shot. You also see a woman killed early on, but her corpse still has to show strategic cleavage. And while Chris is being mauled by wolves Jessica reassures him by promising she'll, quote: "bring her sweet ass down there."
Horror as a genre regularly peddles a sleazy camera, and maybe I'm primed to notice it because Adrock was talking earlier about how the Resident Evil games that weren't directed by Mikami tend to sexualize Jill more, but yeah it's noticeable.
Not tryna be prudish or say they're badly written, so far the ladies seem just as competent as their male counterparts, just an observation.

Lemonade:

--- Quote from: Discord.RSS on March 16, 2021, 01:30:40 PM ---It's interesting how male gazey this game feels too: Jill's design seems like a mix of cleavage catsuit and Tomb Raider straps,
--- End quote ---

I hadn't really thought of it like that, but I definitely like it. I guess I'm the exact target audience.

TOPHATANT123:
Woo I finished it, here are my thoughts...

Overall I like it, but nothing jumped out at me as particularly unique or special. It's a Resident Evil game. Probably would have been a lot more impressive had I played it on 3DS, rather than the 360 where I already owned it.

I had heard that this game reused areas, so going in I expected it to be more of a Metroidvania. That's not really what they were going for though. I never learnt the layout of the ship as the amount of backtracking is fairly minimal. One of the main complaints I remember; scanning, I found to be inoffensive. You don't have to scan every single room and scanning becomes less effective as the game goes on. If I were to pick a favourite part of the game it would be the bosses. You really had to be careful with ammunition and look for weak points.

The game was just the right length, and didn't wear out its welcome. The game could have ended at chapter 11, so 12 was a welcome surprise.

I think the story is fine. Made little sense for most of the game, but things started coming together after the revelations in chapter 11. Again for a 3DS game it's a lot more impressive, I can't think of any games before or since on the system that pull off a realistic art style as well. Given the tone of the game Jessica's character design feels off, heels really? I also didn't like the comic relief characters Quint and Keith, as I felt none of their jokes landed. Jokes like "haha he likes computers, nerds am I right?" and "haha he followed Jessica home, isn't he creepy?".

I feel that this game is interesting as it pushed the boundaries of what handheld games were. But ultimately it's a spin off that doesn't quite stack up to the mainline RE series.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version