Author Topic: Super Mario Maker  (Read 35475 times)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Maker
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
and I just read that the 9 day lock for tool sets has received a day 1 patch to remove it. Hooray?

Still unsure if I should pick the game up today or wait a while.. somebody, knock some sense into me!

Doesn't remove it, just changes closer to a 1-day unlock.  I've read it has to do with how long you play in the level editor.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
Picked it up on my lunch break and got to tinker with it for about 5-10 minutes. Have very few impressions, but what I can say already:

• Too many of the "top" rated levels are auto courses that just send you through the level in a maze or coaster.  The first 3-4 levels are rated like this.  I hope they patch better ways to categorize & sort through levels.
  • You can move the screen backwards in Mario 1, just doesn't feel right as someone whose played that game my whole life.
Definitely going to burn some time tonight tinkering with the level making tools. 

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
and I just read that the 9 day lock for tool sets has received a day 1 patch to remove it. Hooray?

Still unsure if I should pick the game up today or wait a while.. somebody, knock some sense into me!

Doesn't remove it, just changes closer to a 1-day unlock.  I've read it has to do with how long you play in the level editor.

Thank you, but I read that too. I still think it's an improvement and was almost enough to push me over the edge and buy it.

Sadly I didn't, but I think it'll be better this way. I don't have too much time to jump in and create courses right away, and I know it'll be some time before there are some truly magnificent ones available on-line from other Makers.

Get to cracking, NWR. I look forward to some of your courses in a month or so. Hopefully by the time I start making my own, you guys won't be too burnt out on the game. In the meantime, does anyone else have any impressions?

I'm curious: how intuitive do you really find the controls? The videos all make it look pretty flawless. What headaches have you ran into with the creation process? Another question I haven't seen answered in videos: Just how large can the levels be? I've seen a few levels that look pretty massive, even NWR's Metroid level looked huge. Do you get to pick a stage size or do you just build and build until you reach some sort of limit?
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2015, 08:13:32 PM »
There is a fixed size, you just drag the goal to where you want it to be. I'm sure the size increases as you play more and earn more unlocks.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »
44F6 0000 001A BE9B

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2015, 09:30:44 PM »
BUY IT NOW! I will play this game for 30 years!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:32 PM »
In fairness I literally just took a level I was working on and slapped a Bowser Jr.fight at the end. More of a WIP then anything...

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2015, 12:32:48 AM »
BUY IT NOW! I will play this game for 30 years!

Well when you put it that way...
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2015, 01:07:34 AM »

So sad that version of the map didn't save.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2015, 02:12:58 AM »
Installing the first update now. By the way, what is up with the freaky tall Mario in the manual? A skinny mushroom?

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:20 AM »
It's just Regular Mario with regular arms and legs.

I really like how playful the tools are, though I couldn't speed up the delivery of the next set. Sadly, my Wii U has taken to freezing frequently.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
I've gotten the skinny Mario a few times. It's pretty funny he jumps really high and has unique sounds and animations.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 08:53:39 AM »
Skinny Mario is just Mario with Luigi's physics: higher jumps, lower traction.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2015, 09:19:01 AM »
It's not quite Luigi physics (can't you be Luigi with an Amiibo or power-up anyway?), it actually feels like something out of Wario Ware when you play as him (in fact I think it may have come from Wario Ware).

Anyway, this game is great, and the more you play, the faster you unlock things. My daughter and I just unlocked the Castle Set and the "view Mario's trail" option. She's 9 years old and she's actually pretty good at making good levels, two people have starred one of hers so far.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
I initially assumed the level creation parts would only work as single player experiences.  However, we've already had quite a few entertaining family moments with everyone watching the TV and working together to build a level.   

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
Spoiler Alert: Every single costume on Mario Maker.

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
I have barely given this game a second look since it first appeared. I knew I would get it, I just didn't care about any previews until I played it at comicon.

This type of creative control is almost daunting to me. I want to make a fun and challenging course. Not the stupid kind of challenging I'm seeing from people based seemingly on some unfair way to go about it but a smart challenge.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2015, 07:07:21 PM »
This game deserves to be a multi-million seller, too bad Nintendo didn't have this for a launch title. They should make a 3DS version too, but the scree might be too small.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2015, 08:48:31 PM »
When do I get to play the Nintendo World Championship levels?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2015, 01:48:54 AM »
How do I find Michel Ancel's level?

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
There are some really good levels out there. I particularly like the ones out of the box where if you get the coins before the P-Block you get stuck, or the areas on small Mario can make it though. This is a fantastic game with inarguably the best replay value of any Mario game, possibly any video game period. If this was a Launch title...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »
How are you guys getting all the locked stuff?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2015, 03:58:20 PM »
Do the 100 Mario Challenge. You only get one item on Easy, I believe you get more on Normal and Expert, but I could be wrong. If it's only one item, then that means 800-1600 levels to unlock everything...

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
How are you guys getting all the locked stuff?

I really need invisible blocks but I'm waiting for my son to come home as  don't want to unlock everything before he gets back form the weekend