Author Topic: Mafia 82: Resident Evil Endgame thoughts and wrapup thread.  (Read 315811 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Mafia 82: Resident Evil Endgame thoughts and wrapup thread.
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »
Results:

Lolmonade was voted out and was the last Mafia member and he had revived into a Mafia goon from the Bulletproof Killer HUNK.

The winners of this game is Steefosaurus and MASB who were the  Townie Doctor/ Neopolitan  ressirected into the 3rd party Jailkeeper/ Encryptor. MASB has been and always was the Merchant: Gunsmith/ Follower.   

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT TO THE END OF RESIDENT EVIL MAFIA!!!

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Mafia 82: Resident Evil Endgame thoughts and wrapup thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:45:43 PM »
My thoughts and all the planning that was done for this game.  Google Docs galore!!!

The Main Resident Evil game doc where I had all the roles and what all the viruses did and when. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Pw3bJWxrNj7Bc9co9jrmg0BVlGDR7dtl6jBPla92a6M/edit?usp=sharing

The Night Actions that I took from everyone. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AKH-lk6jP4goAinQE9f0ir5VotiBo6jS7UbsynIXlDc/edit?usp=sharing

The Virus activity each night as well as the items.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AKH-lk6jP4goAinQE9f0ir5VotiBo6jS7UbsynIXlDc/edit?usp=sharing

Finally my thoughts on the game where they needed to be contained so I wasn't giving away too much of the game to others while I was answering questions.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10EGogUECt-MvZQYjbNQBcLIjifEz8LC1ew5sQOQUz_E/edit?usp=sharing

To answer one of the questions the code in the main RE game doc the codes corresponded to who got which virus each day as I used random.org list feature and the code corisponds to the player that was randomized on the list. That order. 

These were all 15 players and their starting role and any changes that they went through with all the roles.

Khushrenada: Investigator/Commuter
Steefosaurus: Townie Doctor/ Neopolitan died, G virus, 3rd party Jail keeper/ Encryptor
Pokepal148: Universal Backup/ Townie Double Vote
ShyGuy: Beloved Princess/ Miller
ThePerm: Vote Changer+Adder/ BodyGuard

Stevey: Mafia GodFather/ Neopolitan
Nickmitch: Mafia Pretender/ Strongman  Had the G virus but sent me 10 PMs before he died so he was cured.
oohhboy: Mafia Watcher/ Roleblocker
Lucario: Mafia Atestic Venge Vigilante

MASB: Gunsmith/ Follower
Stratos: Jill of all Trades/ Ninja
Lolmonade: Bulletproof Killer, died, G virus, Mafia Goon

Mop it up was a normal townie
Insanolord was a normal townie
Silenced started as a normal townie and then died, G virus and then became 3rd party Mason Role Stopper.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:22:26 PM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 10:46:27 PM »
My thoughts and player thoughts.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:01:34 PM »
Go ahead and post.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 01:39:49 AM »
I decided to play this game monosyllabic as I had a theory that people who barely participated lived longer. I still died.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 01:14:19 AM »
I decided to play this game monosyllabic as I had a theory that people who barely participated lived longer. I still died.
To be honest I thought you were spelling out a sentence word by word each day.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 01:40:48 AM »
well i'm glad I gave up caring at some point.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 06:20:16 AM »

It's a no-win world.

But you're right, this was standard 'kill the actives.' Perhaps my play was risky, but the lack of reasoning/activity were what sunk the boat. Then I come back just so I can be killed again.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
Warning! Lots o' text

At the beginning of the game, I thought it would be nearly impossible for the third-party to win. Just seemed like the mafia and town had too many inherent advantages.

Silenced trying to rouse votes against me worried me a bit. Enough that I messaged Stratos to see if his offer of a vote was still
available. I asked him to vote against Silenced. I gave him a second choice for lolmonade, but like I told Stratos, that was based on nothing but Khush's reasoning. I must not have been reading the topic closely enough, since I later realized that Stratos had voted for Silenced already. :p

At the beginning of Day 3, I found out that Steefosaurus had a Neapolitan role. I assumed he was Town, since we had already gotten rid of stevey, who had the Neapolitan role as well. I assumed there wouldn't be two mafia with that same role. But with Khush and Stratos (who I only then knew was 3rd Party) out of the game, leaving just two 3rd Party left, things looked grim. I didn't know much and it seemed like almost everyone except the Mafia didn't have much info either.

But then, like Gandalf the White coming with the dawn at the Battle of Helm's Deep, Silenced came riding with Hope. Being a mason, he knew that lolmoande and me were 3rd party and PMed us. I thought of the possibility of a trick, but it seemed doubtful and since I had to take a real risk at some point, lolmonade and me got together with Silenced to strategize.

So thanks to Silenced, I knew lolmonade was the Killer and there were three 3rd Party again! I already knew that ThePerm was a townie, but Silenced knew he was the Town Vote Changer, so that would be useful for later. And since lolmonade and insanolord both claimed to be vanilla townies, we knew The Browns #1 Fan had to be it.

At that time, I felt that mafia had to be one of the following four: nickmitch, ShyGuy (sorry for the suspicion, pal! Blame Khush!),
oohhboy and Lucario.
I figured ShyGuy was the Doctor, but Khush's theory about mafia targeting/protecting itself raised a little doubt.

Lolmonade's idea was that he was on borrowed time, so let's sway the vote to target oohhboy and take out as many as we can while he's the killer. We asked Silenced to see if ThePerm could convince him not to save insanolord from death by inaction, but to change someone else's vote.

Later that afternoon (realize all this plotting took place on the sacred day of the 19th anniversary of the PS2's US release date or as I best remember it, Majora's Mask Day), I suggested the Killer go after Lucario (for lack of knowing the hierarchy) and that I would investiagte nickmitch and ShyGuy during the night. That confirmed nickmitch as mafia, but since ShyGuy took no actions, I learned nothing more. :p

Day 4 was like Miyamoto had upturned the teatable! ThePerm decided to take out Steefosaurus who should be dead, but was not, Lucario dead but took out The Professional lolmonade. Turned out ShyGuy was not the Doctor and was now dead. And Silenced was offed a second time, now by Saruman, I mean, the Mafia.

Things looked pretty black then. I went from 2 allies to none! Due to the G-Virus, I asked lolmonade, just for confirmation that he had changed sides (not which side). He said he had. At the time, I thought he changed to the Town. I knew nickmitch had the G-Virus as well and figured he would turn to 3rd Party or Town upon his death.

So I reached out to Steefosaurus. I thought it was likely he had become 3rd Party, but wanted to see what he would say. I think he was a little confused about what made roles change and how the viruses worked. He didn't pepper BeautifulShy with a hundred questions and read and reread the rules and roles topic like I did.

So I finally just laid out my stragety for winning. Vote out nickmitch (despite various warnings from nickmitch and the Encriptor). I thought or hoped Steef had some killing abilities, so I asked him to target ThePerm since oohhboy couldn't harm anyone and that would get rid of the player that can alter the vote. I invesigated oohhboy and steef just to confirm things. That lead me to discover that Steef was the jailkeeper (and then reading up on what the JailKeeper did) and nothing on oohhboy because Steefosaurus protected him that night?

Day 5 showed it was two versus two, so my strategy was to vote out oohhboy and jailkeep lolmonade to keep him from killing us. But depending on how the mafia voted, that could throw things off. Steef voted first and then I waited to vote until the last minute seeing what the mafia would do. Turns out they didn't vote.

Then it was just making really, really, reeaaaallllly sure that Steefosaurus jailkeeped lolmonade during the night since he was
leaning towards oohhboy. So Steef saved me from the last mafia hit and it was on to victory!

This was a crazy and always interesting game. I've never went high and low as many times in one game before. And without Khush to help, I had to up my game!

Many thanks to BeautifulShy for answering my endless questions! :)

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 10:54:21 AM »
Thank you BeautifulShy for running this super-complex version of the game! Initially I found it way too complex, especially because I wasn't very active at all for the first 3 game days and basically spent most of the game playing catch-up. But when I started asking questions things begin to click for me. I'll confess I never read any of the roles/viruses/serums etc information.

I really played without any contact with others until Day 3~ish when I tried to join Silenced's team, because they were making good points, but of course they were immediately offed for it.

Also didn't realise that staying alive with MASB would've ended in a 3rd party victory. I thought MASB was the Killer and it'd lead in a stand-off on Day 7, which I was hoping to pre-empt by using the Kamikaze virus on him during Night 6.
Frankly I just lucked my way through this game, and everytime I followed MASB's advice it'd lead to more Mafia members getting voted out.

+ It's clever the way the rules try to force people to post more to get rid of viruses & simulatenously de-emphasising PMs due to viral threat.
+ Some of the roles are really fun. I loved getting the Encryptor part, even though nobody really bought into it.
- With so many special roles (even Mafia members having dual abilities), I think playing this one as a normal townie would've been a bummer.

So I finally just laid out my stragety for winning. Vote out nickmitch (despite various warnings from nickmitch and the Encriptor). I thought or hoped Steef had some killing abilities, so I asked him to target ThePerm since oohhboy couldn't harm anyone and that would get rid of the player that can alter the vote. I invesigated oohhboy and steef just to confirm things. That lead me to discover that Steef was the jailkeeper (and then reading up on what the JailKeeper did) and nothing on oohhboy because Steefosaurus protected him that night?

Not quite what happened, actually. I jailkept you that night, which blocked 1 action (investigating Oohhboy, apparantly). I thought it was overly suspicious someone would suddenly initiate contact 3 or 4 days in and mostly be asking questions. Definitely considered you Mafia at that juncture, and was pretty swayed by some PM contact I had with Lolmonade. I considered you a threat all the way through, when I became convinced you were the Killer instead.
I also never grasped that 3rd party players were basically a 3rd team. I thought they were individual players who could only win by remaining the last one standing.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Steefosaurus. 

As to the Killer and that role being active in the alive players and active roles in the game thread well I wasn't entirely sure how to go about that since players could change alignments and announcing that saying there is so and so role active now would out that newly reserrected player and pretty much confirming they had that new role.  I went with what role they started the game with.  Like that player that started with that role was still in the game but they may have switched alignment because of the G virus.  Only one player asked me about that and that was MASB.

One other thing which I think I didn't explain well was the PMs for the viruses. Like I said obtained in the initial PMs and said you had one game day to do said task to not be infected by the virus the next day. I think the latter PMs I sent it was explained a bit more elegantly. Where I said that you have this virus and it is not active for this first day but if you don't use the Daylight Serum or do the task asked of you the virus will become active the next day.

If I would of done the viruses again in a game I would of had players infected right away but if they preformed the task they would have been cured of it.  I had it be dorment the first day but they knew about it and what the task was so they could be cured of it before the next day started and that is when the virus would have become active with the protections and restrictions. I also think players having multiple viruses on them prevented players from playing to their full potential.  Like Insanolord and oohhboy I think had two viruses on them but they were not infected yet. 

I also had to make some choices with the dual roles like the commuter/Investigator and Beloved Princess/Miller role. Since that was Ashley Grahams role she was in her knight armor from the special 2 outfit in RE4 so she couldn't be killed by hits or kills but she could be voted out. Everyone no matter the role or virus for the most part could be voted out. The only exception was a one time G virus resserection. So I had to have the Mafia role blocker to be a little more powerful than usual. Otherwise townies might of run away with the game.

I do have to ask one question for Khushrenada.  You commuted the first 2 days. Had you investigated those first two days who would it of been on?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:22:26 AM by BeautifulShy »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 02:11:20 PM »

That was my bad.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 07:06:44 PM »
It's true what they say, the best players bow out first.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 11:51:12 PM »
I do have to ask one question for Khushrenada.  You commuted the first 2 days. Had you investigated those first two days who would it of been on?

I don't know. Never really entered my mind. Maybe I'd have checked out Stratos or someone else I thought might be a good choice to ally with and make sure they were on my side. Day 2, I remember becoming very curious about Lucario but with Silenced, Insanolord and Lolmonade all saying they were a regular townie, I may have checked out one of them.

In the end, until I knew the Mafia role-nullifier was out and I could find the doctor for protection, I was just going to keep protecting myself and hope for the best. The problem about having to wait through the night and for the next day to come up means that the person I investigate could be killed during the night anyways making for a potential wasted investigation or I was killed before I got the result. So, I figured I might as well go with the option that had a higher chance of success.

It meant there might not be a detective for the game but I was less worried about that since townies have won games before without the detective's assistance and I still felt confident enough about being able to figure out people's allegiances without the ability. I suppose I should have fought harder to corral townies in voting out lolmonade Day 2. Who knows how things would have turned out at that point? I'd have taken out the killer before he got me that night and my goal was to target Steefosaurus the next day unless there was a really weird result from the activity of the night. Steef was already becoming my biggest suspect and I reached out to Stratos about voting for Steef when he offered his vote in the Day 2 thread but then decided I should focus on lolmonade that day to try and save Silenced. With Lucario also giving me mafia vibes, townies might have rocked the game harder and faster. In fact, I'm still shocked the townie side won in the end. Also, can't believe it took players so long to take out lolmonade.

You know, I'm willing to make a bet with you that all three votes against you are actually from townies right now and not a single mafia member. Guess we'll know by the end of the game but that's my take.

Guess I lost that bet. (Thanks a lot, oohhboy!!  >:( >:( ). However, as the game went on, his vote for Silenced did become more suspicious. I started to suspect he was the killer and that's why he voted as he did. His post even came across like someone who didn't care who died so long as someone was eliminated that day much like the killer. I really started thinking lolmonade may have been the role nullifier as the game progressed. Turns out, I had the two mixed up.

I also would never trust Khush. That's Mafia 101.

You and a lot of other players need to go back to Mafia school and revise your curriculum. It's hurting your game.  ;)  8)
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 12:23:38 AM »
I think part of the reason lolmonade wasn't voted out sooner was because he was the killer to start the game and once he didn't die after the Lucario venge attack retaliation on lolmonade it was prettymuch confirmed that he was either a normal mafia goon or a normal townie so he didn't have enough power. He could of became a 3rd party player again but with a new role as well but that didn't happen with anyone.   The townies and 3rd parties needed to take out Nickmitch or oohhboy since that one/two punch was going to dominate and get out all the power roles in the game. roleblock/ strongman hit and Mafia hit. So it was kinda a scorched earth policy the 3rd parties had to employ to stay in the game.  It worked for them in the end. 

Steefosaurus started as the Townie doc/ Neoplolitan but had the G virus and switched alignments to 3rd party and MASB had lots of info with their roles and that was kind of important in the end game to look at the results of their searches and that is what caused the win for them I feel.

Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 12:02:52 PM »
My strategy as Killer was to hope for no suspicion and continue to rack kills while hoping maybe someone would try and reach out to me to team up.  Khush's early days accusation meant I had to take him out quick so he couldn't build a body of evidence against me, which he's fairly adept at doing.  I also was truly on business travel the first few days, which didn't help me from looking suspiscious.

Why wasn't I targeted afterward?  Maybe those left didn't think to suspect me.  Maybe the chaos inherent in the game made people hesitant to follow their leads.  I didn't turn into a mafia til the later hours of the game, and that point I felt fairly boxed-in because of conversations I had with Steefo while trying to maintain a shred of innocence.  Him & MASB already had a good thread of who was likely Mafia, which trapped me into making any real moves that'd help, and my last hit got blocked at the end. 

Good game, fun game, neat twist on the format that definitely messed with conventions.  Thanks for hosting, Beautifulshy!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »
So here is my main thought on the g virus and my intentions with it.   Everyone aside from normal townies had 2 roles and could use those roles to gather information in some way either by investigations, neopolitan search, Gunsmith/Follower, watcher and just the killing roles in general was to get as much info into players hands as possible so you could use it later if need be.

So with the G virus I was thinking players could use the info they gathered from before death to inform their new teammates and themselves to further the game in their direction. Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't but that was my main intent with the G virus. The other thing I was intending was if someone was cured of the G virus before they died they could point to that as activity and could live longer.   The cure for the G virus was send me 10 PMs throughout the game before they died. I also included Discord messages in that total but aside from a few early PMs from Steefasaurus and Nickmitch no one really messaged me until they were voted out/killed and then resirected by the G virus. MASB sent me the most messages and they were very interested in the lore of the series and how that might be how the viruses worked. It was all very interesting to them.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »
I also would never trust Khush. That's Mafia 101.

You and a lot of other players need to go back to Mafia school and revise your curriculum. It's hurting your game.  ;)  8)

I got pretty far on that one! If it wasn't for a lucky guess, I would've won it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »
Bumping this to ask a question of folks.  In this topic it was discussed that townies don't get any abilities so I am looking to change that. Resident Evil has all sorts of items in the game and I was thinking of  having the townies only having items each day.  Question is do I make it so they have to use the item the day they get the item or can they hold on to the item until they use that item but doesn't get any new items unless they use the item?     Also should I give roled and Mafia players items so players can't single out a players item useage as being a normal townie?       
Alexis, she/her/Miss