Author Topic: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?  (Read 27383 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2003, 03:27:53 PM »
Yes, we've determined it sucks ass you need a GBA to play the game with other people, Alpha. We're past that point. Perhaps Square will come to their senses and let you use a regular controller, but it seems unlikely. Getting pissed off over the whole thing won't make it any better, though. If you REALLY want to play the game with other people, you better start saving up for a new GBA or borrow one from a friend that has one (I refuse to believe you're the only person you know that owns a GBA). Otherwise, be happy you at least get to play the singleplayer. Either way there's little you can do to change Square's mind.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2003, 03:42:21 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
Yes, we've determined it sucks ass you need a GBA to play the game with other people, Alpha. We're past that point. Perhaps Square will come to their senses and let you use a regular controller, but it seems unlikely. Getting pissed off over the whole thing won't make it any better, though. If you REALLY want to play the game with other people, you better start saving up for a new GBA or borrow one from a friend that has one (I refuse to believe you're the only person you know that owns a GBA). Otherwise, be happy you at least get to play the singleplayer. Either way there's little you can do to change Square's mind.

Yeah, I'm actually the only one with a GBA.  One of my friends does have one, but he's in the Marines now and lives and San Diego.  I doubt he'll fly out here just to play FF:CC with me.

And I know there's really nothing we can do about it, but it's still retarded.
"This hand of mine glows with an awesome power...its burning grip tells me to defeat you!!!"

-Domon, G Gundam

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2003, 03:44:44 PM »
Of course it's retarded, but like I said, nearly all my friends already own a GBA, so I'm not really on the spectrum that's getting screwed here.

And how many friends do you have? I meet people all the time who own GBA's that I don't even know- I just run into them. Surely you can make friends with someone who owns a GBA (just don't tell them it's only because you want to play FF:CC ).
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2003, 04:11:29 PM »
Everyone really shouldn't need a GBA to play with friends...although the concept behind using GBAs as controllers is brilliant. That's just gonna scare gamers away, which is the last thing Nintendo needs. I personally will just rent it if this rumor turns out to be true, because without lots of friends to play with, there's no point in a buy to me.
Later,

InfiniDragon
"For those with wings...fly to your dreams."

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
RE: FF:CC needs more than one GBA?
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2003, 04:19:10 PM »
It does bite Mouse, since I too know no one around who has a GBA, and i'm not going up to strangers and ask them if they have a gba and link cable, what are you thinking?

Tell me it's possible for two players to have one GBA as a controller and the other a GCN controller. If the one player mode will allow you to use the GCN controller than why wouldn't that work with at least 2 players? I would love to see that with 3 or 4 players but if it would work with two than that would be ok.

Square needs to think on this.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2003, 04:22:33 PM »

Gery Ninja: What's the difference between FMV scenes and cinematic scenes? *Absolutely nothing*.

The big advantage of real-time cinema scenes as opposed to FMV is that they're customizable.  Take Zelda 64 for example.  No matter what items or tunics you had equipped, you would see them in the cut-scene.  If the cut-scenes had been FMV, they would have had to anticipate and record every possibility which takes a lot of space and more time and money to render before recording.  The other disadvantage to FMV is that since it's inconsistent with the rest of the game, it can leave a sense of disappointment. You'd love the WHOLE GAME to look like that, but it just isn't possible.  It gets people more interested in checking out the movies than playing the game.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2003, 04:29:25 PM »

Originally posted by: MysticGohan
It does bite Mouse, since I too know no one around who has a GBA, and i'm not going up to strangers and ask them if they have a gba and link cable, what are you thinking?

Tell me it's possible for two players to have one GBA as a controller and the other a GCN controller. If the one player mode will allow you to use the GCN controller than why wouldn't that work with at least 2 players? I would love to see that with 3 or 4 players but if it would work with two than that would be ok.

Square needs to think on this.

It'll only work if all the players had a GBA since they're trying to allow players to access items and the menus without pausing (since the GBA has the screen.) It still sucks, but that's the thinking behind it.

Later,

InfiniDragon

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2003, 05:33:46 PM »
I don't see why, How does the 1st player workout with the GC controller?

It would be intresting even with 2players, One player could use sub menus that wouldn't take alot of space, The GC has the Analog and the C-stick, Couldn't that along with the rest of the buttons take place of what the GBA can do? or atleast work with one gba and one GCN controller.

Like how you could create shortcuts for spells and greeting in pso, It wouldn't be hard, and the menu wouldn't take up hardly any of the screen, or the person with the GC controller can't access the menus, but the person with the GBA can, and could use items or whatever is needed with the GBA to help the person with just the GC controller. In theory this would be a solution for those who don't have many GBA's or friends with any for that matter.

This way more than one person can play, it's sort of a handicap but it would allow for co-op without the need for 4 gba's.

The GBA was to be used for menus right? or atleast quick and easy access, well couldn't work that way too?

Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2003, 06:07:25 PM »
The one player can use the GC controller because there's no one else playing. Thus, you can pause the game (for stuff like the menu) without disrupting anyone's playing. If mulitplayer was like this, everyone would have to stop everytime someone pulls up a menu. Though I didn't mind playing the old way in Secret of Mana, that's the reason they're using GBAs as controllers.
Later,

InfiniDragon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2003, 08:25:25 PM »
It is possible to design menus that don't take up more space than the little HUD-thing you get anyway. A GC-controller would have the advantage of having enough buttons to control the menu and game at the same time, while the GBA would need a switch-button.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2003, 08:32:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth

Gery Ninja: What's the difference between FMV scenes and cinematic scenes? *Absolutely nothing*.

The big advantage of real-time cinema scenes as opposed to FMV is that they're customizable.  Take Zelda 64 for example.  No matter what items or tunics you had equipped, you would see them in the cut-scene.  If the cut-scenes had been FMV, they would have had to anticipate and record every possibility which takes a lot of space and more time and money to render before recording.  The other disadvantage to FMV is that since it's inconsistent with the rest of the game, it can leave a sense of disappointment. You'd love the WHOLE GAME to look like that, but it just isn't possible.  It gets people more interested in checking out the movies than playing the game.

Thanks Bloodworth.  That's essentially what I was trying to say.  I just don't like it when the cut scenes are almost photo-realistic, and the game itself features a few polygons moving around on a muddy background.  (FF8)  They just serve to break the action for me, while I have no problems with the cinematics used in Zelda 64, or even the FMV used in Resident Evil (GCN), and Eternal Darkness, as it wasn't overdone.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline KirbySStar

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2003, 07:32:51 AM »
I guess it sucks to be you guys.  If this game turns out to be as cool as Secret of Mana hell I'll go out to buy another GBA sp or two.  I'm serious.  This game will kick so much ass.. and to feature the GBA as a menu accessory will be so tight!!  I don't know about you guys.. but most people I know play games in the dark... GBA sp will be a must.  I might finally get my old GBA afterburned just for this.  Afterburner's been sitting there.. I'm just too lazy to ship it off to get it installed.  Heh.

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2003, 08:11:22 AM »
I have friends with GBA's but were not dorks who plan out junk and would spend a day on the weekend playing a game. Plus some don't even have a Gamecube so they aren't going to have the GBA to GC cable. Now, if it were fine to use regular controllers, I could be like we could chill at my house and play this game to pass the time before we leave to that party, or something like that.

Why are they making it so difficult for the casual gamer?

DAMN NINTENDO for making us seem even more as cash cow.
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2003, 08:50:24 AM »
I have plenty of friends/foes with GBA's and only 2 others with a GBA/GC link cable and 3 GBA's in my house with one being an SP. And sometimes when a big multiplayer game first comes out(like when SSBM and TS2 came out) we plan a day on the weekend just for thoughs games, and because of that were dorks. And since some of us aren't casual gamers we never chill at my house and play games just to pass the time to go to some kind of party or something like that, because we are so uncool.

Any way this is no problem for me, and i'd much rather have the GBA's for a players own screen rather then the game getting paused every 2 seconds for someone to pick a spell or something.
All I need is one more GC/GBA link cable so my brother and sister could play with me.  
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Don'tHate742

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2003, 08:53:21 AM »
My bad, I forgot to say no offense after what I said, just couldn't find the work so I used dorks
"lol in my language that means poo" - Stevey

"WTF is your languange" - Vudu

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2003, 01:18:03 PM »
"The big advantage of real-time cinema scenes as opposed to FMV is that they're customizable. Take Zelda 64 for example. No matter what items or tunics you had equipped, you would see them in the cut-scene."

Yeah, and I hardly cared whether or not Link had the Mirror Shield and the Blue Tunic and the Biggoron's Sword, just like I had him, in the cut-scene. Honestly, if someone's squabbling over little details like that then maybe they've chosen the wrong hobby.

"If the cut-scenes had been FMV, they would have had to anticipate and record every possibility which takes a lot of space and more time and money to render before recording."

Like I said, nobody really cares that their character in the cut-scene doesn't look exactly how they "customized" him. People shouldn't worry about petty little details as to what kind of sword a guy has.

"The other disadvantage to FMV is that since it's inconsistent with the rest of the game, it can leave a sense of disappointment. You'd love the WHOLE GAME to look like that, but it just isn't possible."

Oh come on- yeah, I'd like the whole game to look as nice as FMV but anyone who actually EXPECTS it is crazy. I'd at least like to see my surroundings in super high quality at least a couple times in the game, as opposed to having to look at a blocky, jaggy, blurry textured character model simply because the developer wants to be "consistent". If you ask me, it compliments the art in the game when you get to see it how the artist truly wanted it to be. You wouldn't want to see the Mona Lisa done in 8 bit-esque pixels, would you?

"It gets people more interested in checking out the movies than playing the game."

People SHOULD be watching the movies- afterall, it progresses the story, which is usually what keeps gamers hooked in games like RPG's (they'd be boring if all you did was around fighting random battles). I agree they shouldn't be more interested in checking out the movies than actually playing the games, but isn't kind of insulting to have the developer offer up a crappy cut-scene because they want you to "focus" on the gameplay? You usually have to work to get to FMV cut-scenes, so think of it more as a reward for HAVING paid attention to the gameplay.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2003, 01:24:40 PM »
Ok, let's just leave it like this Mouse Clicker.

You like being taken out of the game to watch a 30 second quality movie,

Myself and Bloodworth like to see a seamlessly integrated cinematic.

Difference of opinion eh?

Edited to include Mouse Clicker's positive angle.  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2003, 01:36:04 PM »
Fine, if you want to boil MY opinion down to your own negative view of it, go ahead. I just enjoy watching quality movies.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2003, 01:47:11 PM »
There.  I edited it.  Happy?  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2003, 01:59:51 PM »
Thank you. Have fun watching your customized, consistent, horrible quality cut-scenes.

Offline Wesisapie

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2003, 02:13:57 PM »
i found that after playing halflife i didn't like uninteravtive cutscenes at all, much less FMV cutscenes.
Fin.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2003, 04:52:26 PM »
im with grey ninja/bloodworth on the subject of cutscenes, wouldn't have felt right if you charge upto a chest wearing blue and carrying an axe, only to see the cut scene of you opening the chest wearing green and carrying a sword for example.

i guess i just like continuity

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2003, 05:42:51 PM »
So what if you need a GBA for each additional player. FF:CC is most likely an awesome game single player and even better multiplayer in the same vein as Secret of Mana (which was IMO one of SNES era Square's best games, too bad we did not get SeikenDensetsu3). It is not like the game is completely unplayable without the GBA. If we were to get a cookie cutter Final Fantasy (like the ones on PSX/PS2) it would be single player only, and they were great games.  On the FMV subject, at least the PSX/PS2 Final Fantasy FMV's don’t dominate the entire game like SegaCD's Night Trap and Sewer Shark. Overuse of FMV in SegaCD games helped kill the system off.

What’s up Grey Ninja, I see you survived the flame wars in the Tecmo forums.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2003, 06:40:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Drago
What’s up Grey Ninja, I see you survived the flame wars in the Tecmo forums.

lol...  I only posted there like 4 times because I wanted to see SOMETHING for GameCube.    I am surprised that anyone remembers me from there.  I didn't really get into any flame wars there though, as I tried to be as diplomatic as possible, while still getting my point across.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2003, 08:28:13 PM »
I understand Nintendo and Square's reasoning behind pushing the GBA-GCN link (financially), but to me, depending on the exact nature of the connection, I think this could be one of the worst ideas ever for a high-profile game like this.  I mean, GBA's are not controllers (although I love this idea as a secondary use)--they are systems, and they are FAR from cheap (it's nice that I know three people nearby with GBA's, but how common is that, really?).  

As I see it, a game of this stature should include GBA linkup as a bonus--purely optional.  I don't know.  I've just got a really bad feeling about this.  I really hope that regular controller support is fully functional and the GBA is a neat bonus if you have the ability and means.  *shudder*  Thar be a cold breeze-a blowin' matey!  Aaarrrrr....what's that?  An albatross????

Mouse Clicker writes: "Have fun watching your customized, consistent, horrible quality cut-scenes."

Mouse, you seem to have a really low opinion of in-game graphics engines (I kid, I kid--I know what you're getting at, really, I do).  I'm so glad Wind Waker, for instance, didn't have GCI cinemas.  There really is something to be said for continuity, but I will not deny that the FMV in games like Final Fantasy is really quite breathtaking.

And yes, I realize that we're "beyond" the whole "Gee it sucks about the GBA thing, eh?" thing.  But oh well.  I wanted to address it again, just for you, Mouse.  ;-)

Oh, and Grey, I can't get past your avatar...it's just not you!  Maybe it'll grow on me....hahaha.  I expect everyone's avatars to be approved by me of course...haha.  I've been away from these boards for too long!  I'M HOME DADDY!  Or...nevermind.  Anyway, nice to see familiar faces still, haha.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV