Author Topic: Episode 41: Is It Me You're Looking For?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Episode 41: Is It Me You're Looking For?
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »

A few new games, a few old games, and a wicked awesome peripheral make up the content for this week's show.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newscast/25428

This week on the NWR Newscast, we take a close look at the demise of a few storied franchises: Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk.  We analyze the decisions, and give our thoughts on what it means for the music genre.

Also on this week's episode, Zach talks about a game he's really enjoying on the PS3: Dead Space 2, and how that ties back to Dead Space Extraction.  

Neal and Andy recently started playing No More Heroes 2, so that comes into the picture as well.  Neal also has gotten ahold of the Rock Band 3 Squier guitar, and is itching to talk about it.

And had you heard there was a new Dragon Quest game coming out?  Nathan's been playing it an awful lot lately, and has many many things to say about it.

Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Episode 41: Is It Me You're Looking For?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »
Saw the title. Laughed very hard.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:20:12 PM »
Dragon Quest 3 was the one where people got mugged for their copies of the game. They don't have an explicit law about releasing Dragon Quest on weekends, but SquareEnix releases them on Saturdays out of respect for work/school (same thing happens with Pokemon and now Monster Hunter in Japan).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:36 AM »
Zach, after playing Dead Space 2 can you tell me if the game would be any better with Wii pointer controls like RE 4 Wii edition?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:57:51 AM »
I don't think so. I believe, but am not positive, that there is a Move option, but I think you also need the Nav controller, so I wouldn't be able to play that anyway.

I never had any trouble aiming with the stick in DS2, though, or DS1.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
Lionel Richie 4eva.
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
I don't think so. I believe, but am not positive, that there is a Move option, but I think you also need the Nav controller, so I wouldn't be able to play that anyway.

I never had any trouble aiming with the stick in DS2, though, or DS1.

I was the same way with RE 4 until I played the Wii version and now I prefer that style of game using the pointer controls.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
What Nathan complained about with the RB3 Squier guitar not making the "wrong" sound when you play the wrong note... can be resolved if you plug into an amp while you play the game. Same should apply with keyboard. It's not practical for the game to generate wrong notes, because every song would have to include tons of wrong notes in the same tone of the song's correct notes.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:46 PM »
Haha nothing like opening up with Zach singing.  There should be a musical number in cricket cast.

Do you guys feel activision will have learned from murdereing these franchises to give CoD a break and not milk it to death?

Also why no lamenting Hudson USA in the news section?

Like 1/2 my VC games are turbografx -16 stuff.  (Cause I love shmups)

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »
It's not practical for the game to generate wrong notes, because every song would have to include tons of wrong notes in the same tone of the song's correct notes.

Jonny, I wasn't sure if the game was acting as an amp itself, and then also checking notes digitally. If it was doing that, it could just play whatever audio your guitar was producing, check what notes you're hitting behind the scenes and score accordingly.
Bless you, my child.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 11:52:48 PM »
Only tangentially related to this episode, but damn each and every last one of you for pushing Picrack on me.  Damn you all to hell.

Also, play Mass Effect 2; I think all of you would like it.  Zach especially, what with the alien boobies and all.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 01:55:30 AM »
I think the alien characters, the humanoid ones, are missed opportunities. This isn't Star Trek! But hey, Miranda looks good.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:00:08 AM »
This isn't Star Trek!

You really haven't played Mass Effect, have you?
Bless you, my child.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:46 AM »
Zach I think you are like me.  I also don't really enjoy bioware games.  So I've never played Mass Effects or dragon age.  I also feel the fascination with the "choose your own adventure" mechanic in WRPGs is ultimately stupid like it is in books.  To me it shows the devs aren't confident with their narrative giving people the fun so they give you "choices" to be fun.  The reason why its so popular in games right now compared ot books is caused games are inherently interactive so its seems cooler.  But ultimately I think wrpgs are a fad like choose your own adventure novels in the 90s.  It will go away or become way less popular in a few years.  I think.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
Gamers have been fascinated with choice in video games since the early days of the medium. Zork, for instance, bears many of the same concepts as modern Western RPGs. I think games that focus on player choice will only increase in number as games are better able to represent real-world situations.
Bless you, my child.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:25 PM »
I have never gone back and attempted a Zork game, but I did play some of the old text-based versions of the early Quest For Glory PC games (at least the first two text-based versions) for the PC were that they gave the illusion of choice, even if a greater degree of choice didn't exist.  (For those who don't know, it was an adventure game (like King's Quest) with light RPG elements.)  Whereas the later games in the series were driven by a dialogue tree, it seemed as if choice in that game was a real discovery since it was limited only by your imagination and the robustness of the text parsing system.  I spent a lot of time asking characters about everything under the sun or exploring different ways to solve a problem, and I really enjoyed it when I got an unexpected event or easter egg in response. 

It's odd, but more modern games haven't provided that same sense of discovery that I got when I played Quest For Glory II as a kid, mostly because I feel that many choices in modern games are kind of spoon-fed to the player.   
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 05:03:51 PM »
Choice is an attempt to add gameyness to the parts of the game that don't involve putting bullets into people. Most of the time in an RPG is spent on the story so it should be more than just a non-interactive sequence.

Glory Days TD is based very closely off the Pop Island engine, some assets haven't even been changed (like the transition effect of the giant cartoon mouth closing or the "for maximum joy" intro screen) to fit the game's theme better. The military vehicles have been thrown into Pop Island with Paperfield which looks inconsistent in that regard (but since it plays the same as the regular Pop Island the 200 point price may still make it more attractive). I'm hoping for a proper Glory Days game next.