Author Topic: Episode 42: Life, The Universe, and Everything  (Read 3119 times)

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Episode 42: Life, The Universe, and Everything
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:35:04 AM »

A spoonful of Virtual Console helps the medicine go down.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newscast/25487

When a game one of us loves comes out on Virtual Console, we of course have to talk about it on Newscast! Thus, we discuss Faxanadu on the VC this week, which leads into a conversation about some other older games.

In other news, the 3DS launch lineup is set, which causes us to reminisce about the original DS launch. There's a feature on the site for this, so we talk about that for a little while.

Email us at newscast@nintendoworldreport.com!

Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Episode 42: Life, The Universe, and Everything
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:32:31 PM »
Haven't listed yet, but the 3DS launch line-up (at least to me) easily beats the DS launch in terms of quality.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
The Movies edition of You Don't Know Jack had Cookie as the host, by the way (it's one of the ones I happen to own).
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
Love the retro music thrown in.  Its a nice improvement.

Maybe I'll check out faxandu and zelda 2 on VC.  I want to pick up Ys on Vc for turbo graphx.  Maybe I'll get all 3 and go retro aciton rpg nuts.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »
Love the retro music thrown in.  Its a nice improvement.

Maybe I'll check out faxandu and zelda 2 on VC.  I want to pick up Ys on Vc for turbo graphx.  Maybe I'll get all 3 and go retro aciton rpg nuts.

Ys on VC is probably the best version, though I haven't played the PSP re-re-re-remakes.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline KisakiProject

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:53:50 AM »
I ended up picking up Ys last night.  It’s incredible.  It’s like a mix of 1/2 minute hero's rpg mode and Zelda.  Now I know why people rave about these games.  I'm really enjoying the contemporary brilliance of its sound and graphical design.  If I had played these twenty years ago it would have been mind blowing.  Plus 80s- early/mid 90s anime looks is way better than the late 90s-modern MOE crap.

I'll wait on faxanadu and Zelda2 because I got Super Mario Rpg as I've only played it at a friend’s.  But I've been going VC crazy lately so it probably will be soon when I get those.

Someone should do a VC recommendation for Ys book 1 &2.

Also note there is a little none sequel to Faxanadu on the Nokia N - Gage called Xanadu next.  Don't think its ever been ported except pc in japan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:00:44 PM by KisakiProject »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 12:56:05 PM »
Someone should do a VC recommendation for Ys book 1 &2.

They already did it (in August 2008): http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/recommendations/16617
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KisakiProject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:55 PM »
haha thanks for linking me that. 

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I also enjoyed the game music breaks, they make a nice intro to the next game discussion.
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
I loved Faxanadu as a kid.  I found out a few years ago that it was related to another NES game I really liked, Legacy of the Wizard (Dragon Slayer IV: Drasle Family in Japan).  They were both part of the Dragon Slayer series in Japan.  Though the games play nothing alike, they do have some elements that time them together, such as a number spell-names and weapon names (at least the Dragonslayer weapons) in common.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:01:05 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost