Author Topic: 3DS Metroid Announcement Coming?  (Read 7614 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Metroid Announcement Coming?
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 03:07:32 PM »
Everyone on this forum is going to hate me for saying this but I would mind a Metroid: Other M sequel on the 3DS, but done right. I thought that game was pretty good and I hope to see more like it in the future. Although a 2D hybrid between Fusion and Other M would be even nicer.

For me that depends on what "done right" means. I don't think Metroid is done right unless there's a large interconnected world that you explore, using upgrades that change the way you play the game from combat to basic movement.

Apply this to the Other M formula and I would buy it.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 03:30:26 PM »
The lack of it is the reason I didn't buy Other M.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 03:31:19 PM »
I don't consider the Pirme games a side-track, I see them as the evolution of the series. It would be like saying the 3D Mario's are just a side-track.

I'd argue that that's not a very good comparison. The 3D Marios, while great, play significantly differently than the 2D games, whereas Metroid Prime is essentially the same game as the 2D Metroids, just from a different visual perspective. I think a better analog would be between 2D and 3D Zelda games.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
No, the 3D Zelda games are pretty different from the 2D ones too.

Prime is a side-track story wise, it doesn't continue the Metroid storyline, only pad it out a bit. A proper sequel would continue after Fusion but it didn't look like Samus was going to avoid the court martial at the end of Fusion so the story probably cannot continue there.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
I doubt there's any truth to this. Metroid games haven't sold all that well as of recent, so we likely won't see another one for some time.

Everyone on this forum is going to hate me for saying this but I would mind a Metroid: Other M sequel on the 3DS, but done right. I thought that game was pretty good and I hope to see more like it in the future. Although a 2D hybrid between Fusion and Other M would be even nicer.

For me that depends on what "done right" means. I don't think Metroid is done right unless there's a large interconnected world that you explore, using upgrades that change the way you play the game from combat to basic movement.
Metroid Other M has those, they're just presented differently than usual.

Offline cricarra

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
I think Nindendo needs to move the Metroid franchise forward. Prime was a good side-track, but I really wanna see a return to 2D side-scrolling. The gap between Metroid IV (Fusion) and V (Dread?) has gotten big enough, damnit!

And Ian, yes. You trust Pikmin. . .if Pikmin 3 ever comes out.

Returning to gameplay from the 90's isn't moving forward.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Metroid: Other M "done right" in my mind would be... well pretty much the only thing I would suggest keeping would be the third dimensional view.  I liked jumping around and shooting things.  The way Samus controlled was overall fine, except the first person aiming which I felt was really clunky and hard to use in the heat of the moment.  I say the first person view should be ditched outright.

So they would have to ditch the shitty storytelling, and the linear progression, and the focus on action over exploration and then you're probably fine.  So you're left with Super Metroid with polygons?  What the hell did they get even remotely right with Other M?  It's like everything it introduced to Metroid was a clusterfuck disaster.

There is nothing wrong with moving forward.  But when you step forward into a pile of ****, you step back, clean off your shoes and head in a slightly different direction.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »

Agreed. Upgrades should be something you receive from the hands of ancient statues; not something you already have but are just forbidden to use without authorization. I hope we NEVER see a Metroid game do that ever again. It was sad enough that we had to see it happen in Other M.

Metroid: Other M "done right" in my mind would be... well pretty much the only thing I would suggest keeping would be the third dimensional view.  I liked jumping around and shooting things.  The way Samus controlled was overall fine, except the first person aiming which I felt was really clunky and hard to use in the heat of the moment.  I say the first person view should be ditched outright.

I agree. You didn't need to switch to first person in order to use your beam weapon, but you needed to in order to use the missiles which made no sense. I remember dying needlessly because I would switch to my missile weapon and getting hit because I'd end up facing the wrong direction and it would take me a few moments to gather my bearings. That sucked.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:42:59 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 06:37:43 PM »

So they would have to ditch the shitty storytelling, and the linear progression, and the focus on action over exploration and then you're probably fine.  So you're left with Super Metroid with polygons?  What the hell did they get even remotely right with Other M?  It's like everything it introduced to Metroid was a clusterfuck disaster.

There is nothing wrong with moving forward.  But when you step forward into a pile of ****, you step back, clean off your shoes and head in a slightly different direction.

I actually enjoyed Other M, but that damn Ridley I just can not beat for the life of me!
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
The authorized power-ups in Other M are like giving a kid unwrapped Christmas presents.  It just misses the whole point.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:16 PM »
The authorized power-ups in Other M are like giving a kid unwrapped Christmas presents and not authorizing them to play with them  It just misses the whole point.

Post fixed.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 01:27:40 PM »
I think Nindendo needs to move the Metroid franchise forward. Prime was a good side-track, but I really wanna see a return to 2D side-scrolling. The gap between Metroid IV (Fusion) and V (Dread?) has gotten big enough, damnit!

And Ian, yes. You trust Pikmin. . .if Pikmin 3 ever comes out.

Returning to gameplay from the 90's isn't moving forward.

By "moving forward" I meant getting on with the series. The games were all sequencial until the Prime series, taking place between 2 games, and Other: M, also between 2 games. The main series hasn't been touched in forever.
And I wouldn't call it "returning to gameplay from the 90s" because it'd have to be evolved somewhat to justify a proper sequel.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
I don't consider the Pirme games a side-track, I see them as the evolution of the series. It would be like saying the 3D Mario's are just a side-track.

I'd argue that that's not a very good comparison. The 3D Marios, while great, play significantly differently than the 2D games, whereas Metroid Prime is essentially the same game as the 2D Metroids, just from a different visual perspective. I think a better analog would be between 2D and 3D Zelda games.

I'd call them a side track because they're basically their own mini-series within the franchise. I don't think it compares with Super Mario because the series moved almost entirely to 3D on the N64, and stayed that way until New Super Mario Bros. Metroid had stayed a 2D franchise through the main entries until the Prime series came along.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.