Author Topic: Episode 34: Best of 2010 Part 2  (Read 9728 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Episode 34: Best of 2010 Part 2
« on: December 31, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »

Karl joins in for the second part of our 2010 retrospective.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newscast/24640

After our massive two hour first half of our Best Of 2010 special, we bring it all home with special guest Karl Casteneda.  The regular news is cast aside for a week as we chat at you for another hour or two about the games we loved in 2010.

So grab a drink and sit back; this could be awhile.  

Send any show feedback to newscast@nintendoworldreport.com.  We love to hear from you!

Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 34: Best of 2010 Part 2
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
Something is wrong, sirs. Did you accidentally upload episode 33 again? I clicked the link for this episode and the introduction to episode 33 played. I haven't listened beyond 2 minutes, so I don't know if this was done intentionally as a preface to Part 2 of the GotY discussion (I really doubt that, but...).

EDIT: Yep, it's definitely episode 33, but the URL does read nwrnewscast34.mp3 so I guess an accident occurred somewhere along the lines.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 01:51:57 PM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 02:01:09 PM »
Sorry about that, it looks as if the MP3 version got Ep 33 uploaded again as Ep 34.

The AAC feed is fine, I think.  I'm updating the MP3 link with the correct file as we speak.  Should be done in 10 mins or so.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
Cool. Looking forward to it.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »
Yeah, the iTunes versions are fine as I just checked.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 02:15:29 PM »
Yep, the proper file for Ep 34, MP3 version should be good to go now.

Offline cricarra

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »
Holy hell you guys LOVE to bitch. If you don't like a game/series fine but your Zelda rant had stupid points and too much complaining. Ranting about colored words? Seriously? I'm unsubscribing.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:46:29 AM by cricarra »

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34:05 AM »
A) If you think I don't like Zelda, then you must have missed the part where I said I just sat down to replay the whole franchise a year ago.

B) Where did you get the impression I was complaining about the colored words?  I was just curious about them, and thought I would ask.

C) There's always room for improvement, both in the Zelda series, and in our podcast.  Thanks for your feedback and I hope you find a podcast that only says nice things about the products you enjoy.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:18 AM »
ALWAYS good to hear someone talking positively about Killer 7. Major kudos to Karl.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:07:53 AM »
No subject should be free of criticism. Frankly, I think this show works best when we're going off on a complete tangent. Unsubscribe if you want, but I hate to think your relationship with Newscast is so tenuous as to be severed because we're being critical (fairly) of a long-established Nintendo franchise.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline cricarra

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »
Again I don't have a problem with people not liking a franchise or video game I like as long I think they have good reasons. This is where all the opinions come in and no one is truly right or wrong but I thought you guys couldn't back your complaining up and I'd rather not listening to nitpicking and ranting. I wasn't singling anyone out in my complaining you might have brought it up but (Andrew Gergin?) was complaining about colors.

One reason I can't  listen to most podcasts is because of peoples "hurr durr wii is collecting dust and stupid waggle ruins everything" etc. Nothing is more annoying that people acting like they know what they're talking about when they don't. Like all the negativity for Skyward Sword when only one person played it and when we all don't know much about the game.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
Again, Andy wasn't complaining about the colors.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »
I asked about them, because I didn't understand why they were there.  I wasn't complaining about them.

We did list some complaints about Twilight Princess, because several of our hosts didn't enjoy it.  Sorry about that.  It doesn't mean we don't like Zelda games or that we were uneducated in our complaints.  We all played it.  I enjoyed it quite a bit, probably more than anyone else on the show.

Once again, sorry you didn't enjoy the podcast, and I hope you can find another that suits your tastes.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:24:29 PM by NWR_DrewMG »

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:58:46 PM »
Like all the negativity for Skyward Sword when only one person played it and when we all don't know much about the game.

I wasn't present for the Zelda discussion, but I would have had some words.

When all Nintendo can show me on stage and on the show floor at the biggest industry event of the year is a souped up translation of the Wii Sports Resorts mechanics, I am bound to be unimpressed. With the game being so close to launch, one would expect to have seen something much more interesting.

Nothing we saw at E3 indicated that Skyward Sword would be a significant departure from what Zelda has been for quite some time. I think the Zelda series needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Keep the mythology, the focus on combat and puzzles, but do it somewhere else and mix up the game design.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 03:53:36 PM »
Nothing we saw at E3 indicated that Skyward Sword would be a significant departure from what Zelda has been for quite some time. I think the Zelda series needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Keep the mythology, the focus on combat and puzzles, but do it somewhere else and mix up the game design.

On the other hand, they didn't really show anything that indicated it wouldn't be a change. This is Nintendo's big showpiece for full motion control in a quote-unquote hardcore game, and so they focused the demo on showing off the control mechanics, and the control mechanics alone. I'm not saying it will be a big change; I wouldn't be surprised at all if it kept the same form as the previous games, but it's far too early to jump to that conclusion based on what we've seen so far.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 06:52:44 PM »

On the other hand, they didn't really show anything that indicated it wouldn't be a change. This is Nintendo's big showpiece for full motion control in a quote-unquote hardcore game, and so they focused the demo on showing off the control mechanics, and the control mechanics alone. I'm not saying it will be a big change; I wouldn't be surprised at all if it kept the same form as the previous games, but it's far too early to jump to that conclusion based on what we've seen so far.

I agree Insanolord, we don't know that much about Skyward Sword. My point is that it is Nintendo's responsibility to showcase their game properly, and if the big reveal doesn't get me excited I have no reason outside of pure speculation to think positively about it.

Ever since I got burned with Animal Crossing Wii I have been very hesitant with getting my hopes up over limited information.
Bless you, my child.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Nathan's exactly right about Skyward Sword. Nintendo's been talking a big game about changes to the series, but they've shown us little to make us believe that it'll be nothing more than Twilight Princess with Wii Sports Resort controls.

I'll totally be there day one if its just that, but I hope it's more than that.

Also, I don't think we're actually close to the release. With Miyamoto's 50% done comments, I think Zelda's a fall 2011 release now.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
I would think summer 2011 at the earliest.

No matter what they do with Skyward Sword, it'll stick to the usual Zelda formula.  They might augment the formula with different game mechanics, but it's going to be old kill seven bosses, grab a bunch of weapons, kill Ganon deal.  I think the hardware actually restricts them to that, to a great degree.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:43 PM »
I would think summer 2011 at the earliest.

No matter what they do with Skyward Sword, it'll stick to the usual Zelda formula.  They might augment the formula with different game mechanics, but it's going to be old kill seven bosses, grab a bunch of weapons, kill Ganon deal.  I think the hardware actually restricts them to that, to a great degree.

I have to admit that I was both excited and dissapointed when I saw Skyward Sword. I really liked Twilight Princess and was looking forward to a true successor to that game, but when I saw the art style of Skyward Sword I was slightly confused as to what they were trying to do with the game. I noticed the Wii Sports Resort control similarities, but I thought Nintendo would have a right to get away with this as long as they refine the controls, which is something that appears to still be unproven to fans.

Overall, I will be keeping a close on the game simply because I am a fan of the series and have not had a console Zelda fix in a while. I have tried to satisfy this by playing OoT and MM, but I prefer the modern console Zeldas. Budget pending, I would like to have this game and Last Story and a 3DS by the end of 2011.

As for the release date, chances are that it will not be released any where close to the 3DS because they would cannalbalize eash other's sales and Nintendo does not want that to happen, but I would wager that many fans would not mind to have both sooner rather than later. I see Nintendo releasing Skyward Sword as the Wii's last major holiday franchise. That is why I see Skyward Sword as the Wii's swan song, and it is a good title to close a console's lifecycle.

Once the Wii 2, which will be HD, is released, I would like to see a Zelda title done with the production values of Final Fantasy 13 and God of War 3.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 07:58:44 AM »
I think if the Zelda series took on the form of the Uncharted games, that would be a game changer. Replace Nathan Drake's guns with Link's sword and bow, but keep all of the environment traversing (which fits PERFECTLY well with Zelda's puzzle solving), and you have the next game of the year contender.

It's simple, really.

EDIT:  Also to add, I'd love to see a duck and cover system used in the world of Hylia. It'd work incredibly well with Link's bow/boomerang/hookshot/wands/etc..  There's just so much more that could be done with this.  I imagine that The Last Story is gonna feel a bit like this with its cover system. Pretty excited about that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:01:54 AM by Rachtman »
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
I think if the Zelda series took on the form of the Uncharted games, that would be a game changer. Replace Nathan Drake's guns with Link's sword and bow, but keep all of the environment traversing (which fits PERFECTLY well with Zelda's puzzle solving), and you have the next game of the year contender.

It's simple, really.

EDIT:  Also to add, I'd love to see a duck and cover system used in the world of Hylia. It'd work incredibly well with Link's bow/boomerang/hookshot/wands/etc..  There's just so much more that could be done with this.  I imagine that The Last Story is gonna feel a bit like this with its cover system. Pretty excited about that.

I want to see Zelda changed in a way that can only be defined as Zelda. There's nothing wrong with learning from other franchises or game types, but I don't want it to be "Uncharted but Zelda."

Bless you, my child.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
If Zelda simply went from having a single-digit number of main dungeons to having dozens and dozens of small dungeons, some of which have new weapons and bosses but all of which have some sort of plot significance and reward, I'd be really pleased. Also I would really like it if they introduced XP and more "magic", the spells in Ocarina were cool and I wish they kept using that idea.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »
Regarding Zelda, put me in the "it's probably going to be more of the same" category.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but...

As for the picks, I'd like to applaud Karl in particular for going somewhat off the reservation in his selections.  Not that I'm knocking everyone else's picks (my own would be 999, DKCR, and Monster Hunter Tri, so I'm not exactly original myself...), but it was refreshing to hear a different list of games, and he's actually got me to look into Art of Balance, to the point where I'm probably going to pick it up soon. 

All in all, a good show once more to cap off the year, and I look forward to hearing from you guys more often.

Offline anand

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
Twilight Princess was awesome, a huge refinement of the 3D Zelda formula that was absolutely stuffed with quality, fresh content (read: PUZZLES), and I think Skyward Sword will be all things to all people. Voice acting would make the game interminable, like most games these days are.

And you guys were way too harsh on Shantae (even though you liked it).

That said, this was a really enjoyable episode. I started tuning in after the charity show, and I'm liking it a lot. I might even give that comic podcast a listen!

(Were the last 9 minutes blank, though, or is my iPod dying?)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:42:28 PM by anand »

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 06:54:39 PM »
Yeah, the last 9 minutes were blank.