Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 237759 times)

Offline denjet78

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Galaxy
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
I'm just so bored with games in general. I want something new, somthing fun, and something engrossing. I think that's why I didn't like Mario Sunshine. The worlds felt a bit... sterile. There just wasn't enough to do. The fact that the worlds changed and limited you to whichever star you were going after just killed it for me. It felt like I was playing a bunch of mini games rather than exploring a huge and diverse world. It just didn't feel like Mario to me, even with Yoshi.

Mario Galaxy though, it seems very frenetic, very alive. Where in Sunshine the worlds felt empty and small, here there is so much going on that it's almost too much to take in all at once. And I'm completely aware of the irony in refering to a game that seems to be spread out across a number of small planets in this way.

It just seems like there's going to be so much to do, and always in the background you're going to see new worlds that you've yet to travel to. So much goodness! I really can't wait for this one. It was the only game that got me truely and honestly excited.

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:Mario Galaxy
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »
Well, we'll know tomorrow how this game really works- CONFIRMED PLAYABLE!

Offline AnyoneEB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 12:57:29 AM »
Actually, the first thing I thought when I saw the Mario video during the press conference was "Wow, that looks like Mad Space (a Sonic Adventure 2 level)." I doubt they are actually very similar. I guess we will find out with impressions today.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 01:32:44 AM »
You know, this new Mario game makes me want to go back and finish Mario Sunshine all over again. I know I'm of the minority but I prefer SMS to SM64, not to say SM64 is bad, in fact it is great but I feel SMS is better .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2006, 05:44:47 AM »
I consider Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario 64 about equal.  Sunshine felt more refined in gameplay (and obviously graphics) but it didn't have quite enough variety or levels for me.  Too many blue coins.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline odilon

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2006, 06:09:05 AM »
IGN is reporting that it will be playable at the show.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2006, 06:23:20 AM »
Mario's character model is NICE. Much improved. I think it's the best looking game shown yet.

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2006, 06:32:55 AM »
For some reason I keep on thinking "NiGHTS" when I look at the game...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2006, 08:05:32 AM »
The game looks magical.  That's something that Mario hasn't had for a while.  The last time I saw a Mario game that immediately looked magical on first view was Super Mario 64.  The spinoffs don't have it and Super Mario Sunshine didn't have it.  So that to me suggests Nintendo is on the right track.

Offline attackslug

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2006, 08:40:19 AM »
The planet-hopping reminds me a bit of Katamari's option screen.
And DAMN, this game looks like the most surreal mario yet, which saying quite a bit.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2006, 09:23:41 AM »
I think Super Paper Mario looks like the most surreal one yet.  Equations made up of flowers and stars in the clouds, giant 8-bit Mario sprites crushing everything in their path, vertical lines appearing all over the screen, I think Intelligent Systems' art designers went insane from the pure-white walls of the Nintendo HQ offices.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline JoeSmashBro

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
-Joe
"If the guests give you their coats, hang them in the closet!"
AIM: WhatJoeSays

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 09:53:34 AM »
Gamespot's impressions seemed pretty positive.  It sounds like it plays like Mario which was my biggest worry since the remote was first shown.  Honestly the "shake" move could probably be done with a simple button press.  But that doesn't make the game any worse, it just doesn't sell the remote concept that well.  

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2006, 10:13:50 AM »
I am so glad to hear it's coming along well.
Hopefully somebody will con Nintendo into letting them rip video from gameplay (or at least shoot video).

They said "Mario looks great" so the concerns over his character model should be decreased a bit.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 12:13:19 PM »
Mario Galaxy Impressions - IGN - A little blurb on IGN about the gameplay of Mario Galaxy. Apparently it is freaking AWESOME.  
Check out PixlBit!

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »
Impressions sound great.

Oh, AMN has screenies. Looks INCREDIBLE.

edit:

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The game looks magical.  That's something that Mario hasn't had for a while.  The last time I saw a Mario game that immediately looked magical on first view was Super Mario 64.  The spinoffs don't have it and Super Mario Sunshine didn't have it.  So that to me suggests Nintendo is on the right track.

I completley agree. It seems like there's been a derth of inspiration or hallucenegic mushrooms at Nintendo this past generation...at least when it came to Mario.

...I'm thinking this probably has alot to do with Miyamoto: he didn't need to be directly involved with alot of cube games because the cube was just an N64 with prettier graphics. But now that they have a new control scheme, his involvement is more necessary, and Nintnedo's flagship games will have more of that magical Miyamoto touch as a result.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 04:15:28 PM »
The game looks brilliant. Can't wait to play it.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 04:24:29 PM »
If this truely is a launch title, I'm going to be in pain trying to decide whether to play TP or this first... >=|
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »
Has a Nintendo console EVER launched with a Mario AND a Zelda game?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 06:49:21 PM »
Nope.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2006, 07:17:24 PM »
Is it just me, or does this game remind you of Le Petit Prince??
He should be in the new Smash Bros.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2006, 07:29:27 PM »
haha indeed, I said that in the first page in this thread, the little prince brings so many childhood memories... this game is really awesome.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
Nintendo, too many awesome games at once.  Seriously.

"but at least it isn't trying to look realistic like Sunshine"

How do you figure this?  Sunshine had a very Mario look to it.
Personally, I love Sunshine, as much as SM64, but I felt it was rushed.  It had the Mario magic, but not the complete formula.  I'm glad Nintendo has taken back to finishing their games properly again, even if it does mean delays.

I'm a happy guy.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2006, 08:17:43 PM »
While it doesn't mean much in Japan: if they do launch with Mario they will be launching with Mario Zelda AND Metroid Prime.

That's huge.  3 top of the line games in one day.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 07:28:30 AM »
Hostile-Creation when I say realistic, remember that people keep complaining that they miss the Mushroom kingdom. Most of the areas looked less fantasy like than previous Mario outings, and I remember when it was first revealed people compared the "realistic" setting of Delphino Plaza to that of Sonic Adventure 2. But see I didn't have a problem with that at all, as a matter of fact I prefer Sunshine to M64. But this new Mario... Its something that we really havn't seen much of in a Mario game, but at the same time it fits big time. Too me it looks like the Mushroom Kingdom in space, it has landscape that is clearly worthy of the Mario name.  

Who seriously is still not happy about Nintendo's showing at this E3?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn