Author Topic: PSP PRICE ANNOUNCED!!!  (Read 89741 times)

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: *rumor*PSP PRICE ANNOUNCED!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2004, 05:41:55 AM »
I think Uncle Rich AiAi is right about Sony's plan to try to sell the PSP to rich, gadget-crazy guys with jobs, but that doesn't mean it's going to work.  The PSP, I guess, is an interesting experiment to see just how large the adult market for videogames has become.  
I'm not sure what the answer is...this is the same mistake Sega made with its handhelds, but that was 10 years ago.  My intuition says that a PSP costing over $300 U.S. will face some major obstacles.

Edit: And since this news has been squashed...I'm going to go back to assuming it will cost less than $300 until I hear otherwise from Sony itself.  If this price was the actual price, Sony may reconsider based on the reaction from the public.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2004, 06:47:30 AM »
I think 350 was announced as the price a while back, too, so I have inclinations to believe this even if it didn't come from an official source. At that price point it won't sell to people with little disposable income (kids, teenagers, McD employees, married people, etc). You can almost get a computer for that! And a computer can at least do somehing productive (like crashing and destroying the only copy of your thesis three days before the deadline). The PSP is competing not only with the DS and GBA, but the PS2, Xbox and GC, too. All of them are cheaper. Then there are the games. I mean, at 350 the PSP is almost competing with PDAs and that's where it draws the shortest straw. Sure, the PSP plays games for a few hours, but guess what, a PDA can do a LOT more and is much more interesting to gadget freaks. Sure, the PSP offers the most advanced graphics on the go, but seriously, at that price it should do more than graphics, a proprietary movie format and MP3. PDAs play games, too. Not the best, but still pretty nice. PDAs have WLAN, have both a huge display and touchscreen controls, have much more versatile software.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2004, 07:24:26 AM »
I agree with this.  The PSP just doesn't seem like it'd work in a real world situation, but alas it will.  Paying 350 or heck, even 150 is still too much for just a handheld system that plays games and movies.  The GBA plays "movies" and games and now it's around 30$ , 80 for the SP.  The DS I think is at the breaking point of handhelds.  But it does so much more.  The PSP on the other hand just sits there and looks pretty, albeit not that much...but oh well.  I'll get one if it ever goes down to 80, but the much more "inferior" PS2 still hasn't reached that point, and it's almost 5 years old.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:*rumor*PSP PRICE ANNOUNCED!!!
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2004, 10:29:44 AM »
I despise the PSP for one reason (of many)...

If it succeeds, it will kill 2-D gaming for good.

Offline Zach

• Bad Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2004, 11:19:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Uncle Rich AiAi
keep this in mind: the GC is cheaper than the PS2.  Did that result GC > PS2 sales?  No.  That proves people are willing to pay more for a console that costs more over a cheaper one.

yes the gc is cheaper, but you have to keep in mind that the PS2 was not sony's first system (thus the name PS2).  With DS vs. PSP, sony is entering into the handheld world for the first time, and since handhelds are different from consoles, the Sony name alone may not be enouph for sony to beat the DS, but then again it may.
WiiCode: 2469 4326 9885 9257

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2004, 12:17:21 PM »
"yes the gc is cheaper, but you have to keep in mind that the PS2 was not sony's first system (thus the name PS2). With DS vs. PSP, sony is entering into the handheld world for the first time, and since handhelds are different from consoles, the Sony name alone may not be enouph for sony to beat the DS, but then again it may."

Well, let's put it this way the Playstation name brand can't hurt them.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2004, 01:25:50 PM »
2.3 times as much is a little different than 1.5 times as much....

If the PS2 and x-box cost 470 dollars at launch i think it would be a little different...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »
Well this whole thing may have been debunked. See what you guys think.

If you go to this link HERE you will see two posters by the names of  "penance" and "WhiteBoySushi" who say they are from the Torch The Bridge forums. They claim that this whole thing about the PSP costing 350 dollars was created as a hoax originally intended to only fool other TTB forum members but that it spun out of control.

They provide a link HERE that leads to a TTB forums page containg the annoucement as well as the now infamous removed Gamespot article that got this whole thing underway. It's dated Sept. 24th as you'll notice and this all lends credence to the theory that the entire nintendo fansite community has been had.

So what do you guys think? It looks to me like these guys might be telling the truth. Although I know I'm gonna be doing a lot more research before I commit to believing anyone's story.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 07:14:54 AM »
Hoax or not, I believe that's actually going to be the price (but I think I already said that...).

Pale: If? IF??? The XBox cost freakin' 480 Euros at launch! Granted, that was before the dollar dropped, but it was a few months later corrected to 300, same as the PS2's price at the time.

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 11:33:22 AM »
I might have opened my wallet if it had that much in it.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 03:11:30 AM »
Who's talking about Europe.... =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline ichioko

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 07:57:53 PM »
I don't think the point about Sony's target audience with the PSP is even valid.  The success of any console depends greatly on how large the user base is, and although there are games with target audiences, the idea of targeting a console's possible buyer is just stupid, and Sony knows this.  

For example, look at the GameCube.  Most casual gamers and Sony fanboys have labelled it as a "kiddie" console, although Nintendo has stated they intend to appeal to gamers of all ages.  This reputation of GameCube's "target audience" has not helped sales, considering most gamers today are not "hard core" gamers, and wouldn't be caught dead with a purple lunchbox that plays "kid's games".  

Looking at the Playstation 2's success, it can be seen that its established base eclipses both the Xbox and GameCube.  This is the key to Sony's success with their console.  Because the PS2 has such a large user base, Sony does not have to rely on in-house games to push sales, but instead pushes a large number of third party games that appeal to a smaller fraction of the people who own a PS2.  Sony is a company that works off of sheer quantity over quality to stay alive in this industry.

The bottom line is that the high price of the PSP should not be considered to have any sort of demographic, because if companies don't sell consoles, they limit who can buy their games.  I see the speculation of the price point of $350 to be more of a realization by Sony, perhaps, that putting all those pretty specs and features in the PSP cost a lot of money.  Money which Sony is not willing to lose at a rate that Microsoft has lost because of the cost of making Xboxes.  The real challenge, therefore, is a tough balancing act of trading loss of profit on consoles with expected profit of licenced software, while maintaining an appeal to the majority of the handheld market.  IMHO, Sony is relying on their name and the PSP's technical appeal to push a ridiculously expensive piece of hardware in a market which they have no idea how to approach.  Anyone with a head on their shoulders shouldn't waste their money on buying a handheld PS2 (I can't really say portable, because it has been stated that the PSP is not meant to be played "on the go").  The real test is will the brand of Sony be able to overcome the already gigantic hurdles the PSP faces (price, battery life, funcitonality and value of extras like UMD movies and the ability to function as a quasi-walkman, and of course Nintendo)?

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 09:52:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"They didn't become #1 in the consoles wars for nothing."

Actually they did... sort of.  If Sega didn't make a 2D console with 3D capabilities thrown in at the last minute and Nintendo hadn't made a cartridge system Sony probably wouldn't have lasted five years.  They got REALLY lucky.  Both of their competitors f*cked up huge.  The reason the PS2 is so successful is because of the Playstation name, the year head start, Nintendo's constant Cube related brain farts, and Microsoft's inability to break into Japan.  The Playstation was in the right place at the right time and they've been riding that wave ever since.  If the PSP is a success it will because of the Playstation name, NOT for any good reason.  Sony so far has made virtually ever mistake other company's have made when trying to enter the portable market.

So because Sony designed the best console last generation, got all the third parties to support it, and got many to make exclusives for the PS1, among so many other things, they became #1 for nothing?  If the PS1 received more competition it still would've lasted more than 5 years, it's sold over 100,000,00 units for consoles alone.  

Sony hasn't made every mistake other companies have made in the portable market...  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 10:00:33 AM »
"So because Sony designed the best console last generation, got all the third parties to support it, and got many to make exclusives for the PS1, among so many other things, they became #1 for nothing?"

Had they done the exact same thing but Nintendo and Sega hadn't f*cked up they wouldn't be #1.  They were in the right place at the right time.  Third parties wouldn't have gone with an unproven newcomber if they weren't limited by the hardware of the N64 and Saturn.  Final Fantasy VII would have been on the N64.  Considering Square jumping ship is what caused all of the other third parties to follow and considering that game was the Playstation killer app I think it's fair to say that if Nintendo made a disc based system Sony wouldn't be #1.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 10:09:35 AM »
That was not the argument.  You said they became #1 for nothing of their doing.  

And yes it was Square's FF7 that got all the other third parties to jump onto PS1...  Yes the game came out 2 years after the PS came out, and that made all the companies who already were not on PS goto them lol.  The majority of companies were already developing and released tons of games themselves before FF7 came out 2 years later.....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2004, 02:19:02 PM »
PSP Price to be annouced tomorrow?

Sony is having a Sony Dealer's Conference tomorrow

Gamefront.de

Sony plant 'PlayStation Dealers Conference' / PSP-Preisbekanntgabe?

04.10.04 - Sony hat in Japan Einladungen für eine 'PlayStation Dealers Conference' an den Fachhandel verschickt. Die Veranstaltung findet drei Mal statt: Am 05.10.04 in Tokio, am 06.10.04 in Nagoya und am 07.10.04 in Osaka.

Geplant ist, Händlern das kommende Lineup für PlayStation2 und PSP vorzustellen. Möglicherweise wird Sony dem Fachhandel auch den Preis von PSP bekanntgeben.

NE1 care to translate?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2004, 02:23:29 PM »
actually I got it translated already (bored at work w/ 2 much free time)

Does Sony plan 'PlayStation Dealers Conference' / PSP-Preisbekanntgabe?  

04.10.04 - Sony sent in Japan invitations for one 'PlayStation Dealers Conference' at the specialty shop.  The organization takes place three times: at the 05.10.04 in Tokyo, at the 06.10.04 in Nagoya and at the 07.10.04 in Osaka.  

Planned is, to introduce dealers the coming Lineup for PLAYSTATION2 and PSP.  Possibly Sony will announce also the price of PSP to the specialty shop.  

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2004, 06:46:24 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Actually they did... sort of.  If Sega didn't make a 2D console with 3D capabilities thrown in at the last minute and Nintendo hadn't made a cartridge system Sony probably wouldn't have lasted five years.  They got REALLY lucky.  Both of their competitors f*cked up huge.  The reason the PS2 is so successful is because of the Playstation name, the year head start, Nintendo's constant Cube related brain farts, and Microsoft's inability to break into Japan.  The Playstation was in the right place at the right time and they've been riding that wave ever since.  If the PSP is a success it will because of the Playstation name, NOT for any good reason.  Sony so far has made virtually ever mistake other company's have made when trying to enter the portable market.

Oh really?  Yes, Sega and Nintendo made their share of mistakes as you listed, but Sony took advantage of it and released a system that was easy to develop for.  joeamis said everything else I don't need to repeat.

Originally posted by: odifiend
"Sony are not targeting you people, ie: kids and college people. They are targeting people in the mid-20s and above who like to buying expensive gadgets and so forth."

I don't agree.  The video game market is almost entirely comprised of teenagers and 'college people'.  I don't think it would be worth Sony's while to make a gaming system they'll likely lose money on for maybe 10% of the gaming population.

I didn't say whether targeting that age group will be successful.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2004, 07:26:34 PM »
Is this the thread where PSP news is lumped? Well whatever i'll just post this here

PSP could be delayed to as far back as November 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2004, 10:07:37 PM »

Meanwhile, Piper Jaffray & Co. paints an even gloomier picture for the PSP's launch ambitions. In a report released today, the securities firm expects the handheld "to launch later than the current March 2005 expectation. First, Sony is usually late with most product introductions…and we are hearing that the platform has other issues such as thermal problems (transistors are running very hot) and a very short battery life (90 minutes) that will almost certainly delay the launch."

LOL!  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2004, 10:38:34 PM »
Good for arctic vacations.  Bad for arctic vacations.

Keeps ya warm, but not long enough.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2004, 12:20:51 AM »
Professional 666
that picture of Reggie is kinda freaky

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2004, 12:40:08 AM »
according to a quote on another forum, PSP was not mentioned<sp> at the conference, which might add a little fuel to the 'being delayed till late next year, developers having problems with battery life' rumor.

I went to Sony's December retailer meeting... Tales (Rebirth), MGS3, Ratchet3, GT4, Kagerou2, FF&DQ Itadaki St., Gundam vs Z-Gundam, Kessen 3, Bleach (Jump Manga), DMC3, Capcom Fighting Jam, Simple 2000 Series... that just about covers it. There was no announcement of PSP price or release date.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
RE: ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2004, 07:27:20 AM »
"a very short battery life (90 minutes)"

90 minutes?!  There's no way Sony would be THAT dumb.  I mean my parents who don't play videogames wouldn't design something with a battery life that short.

Still I find this all quite amusing.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
RE:ITT: PSP Discussion
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2004, 05:28:15 PM »
According to Sengamer.nl (scroll down the page), a developer says that PSP will be able to connect to the Xbox

Translated from dutch:

PSP, the new portable game system of Sony Computer Entertainment, would be able to make according to single game developers also a connection with the Xbox game system of Microsoft.