Author Topic: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)  (Read 269197 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Hey! DC's got stuff too... (Official Thread for the DCU of Movies and TV)
« Reply #850 on: December 26, 2020, 10:19:52 PM »
Unfortunately I hated the movie. Saw it last Wednesday and it's just dire. Story is a complete mess, fights scenes are terrible and so many plotholes it's ridiculous. Music is so bland it's completely forgettable (Zimmer really phoned this one in). So disappointing coming from the love that I have for the first one. Looks like DC are back at their usual level of quality.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 27, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
I liked WW84's content. That being said the movie would have been better if they cut an hour out of it. The movie had some serious pacing issues and was slow. The movie was longer than the Shining without all the suspense. As far as plotholes go: The movie is not grounded in reality, it's grounded in magic, which for me is fine. This movie would be better with good editing. That's one of the problems over at DC right now though, when they do edit movies over there they cut the wrong scenes out and then their movies don't make sense.

Also, I can't  stress this enough: You do not need CGI to make cat people. Cat people are better achieved through practical effects with the same result at 1/100 the cost. CGI tails are OK though

Nice Armor Goldar... where did you get it?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:25:09 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #852 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:52 PM »
I'm a little bit warmer on the fight scenes, but I agree with The Perm that a lot could be cut to improve the movie.  A little bit does need to be added because Maxwell Lord's plan is never explained.  I know it's tropey for a villain to explain their plan, but when the plan is as convoluted as his, it needs to be explained.  I still have no idea what his endgame was, and early on it isn't clear why he didn't just wish that his oil-based ponzi scheme would work out, but I guess they explain that specific part later.

Anyway, I'd definitely cut the opening scene.  I still don't know why they put in another child scene, with this one building to nothing in particular.  The movie also does a bit of stretching to get to the ending, but I guess it made sense.  The scene where Diana learns how to fly kinda could also be cut or just made shorter while things like how she's been experimenting with making things invisible could've been explored more.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 30, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
I'd cut the intro scene too. As I was watching it while eating my beef wellington on Christmas day I thought "this is moving backwards, why is this scene necessary?"

I don't think Maxwell had a particularly solid plan, so he couldn't really explain it. I liked Cheetah, but that should have been deprecated in the plot line. They should have had WW fight the godlike being responsible for the crystal's powers. Obviously Max wasn't a fighter just like Lex Luthor, so they had WW fight Cheetah for a scene instead. Had they broken WW84 into two movies it would have been better. The movie had a problem with scope and pacing. It both tried to do too much, and too little. Had they made it a TV series they could have made six solid episodes with the material they had. I thought the action was pretty good when it was there, the acting was entertaining, the plot was broken though, and that's why the pacing was off. This movie has a lot of online hate, but I give it a 79/100  A few changes here and there it could have been in the 90s/100
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:35:51 PM by ThePerm »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 31, 2020, 11:11:47 AM »
How for AT&T to mess up the launch of Wonder Woman:

1 - Advertise on TV "Wonder Woman 1984 in cinemas now!"
2 - Pay no attention that half the UK (at the time, all of southeastern England, all of Wales and Scotland) was in Tier 4 which closed cinemas so there was no way to watch it.
3 - Release it on HBO Max which is US only, then spend all of 2020 about "an international release for HBO Max", instead of using Amazon or Netflix to handle the rest.

I still have my movie pass but Cineworld has been closed up shop entirely until at least April 2021, so there's no way for me to watch it without paying extra for a rental.

Well done AT&T.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2020, 05:56:32 PM »
Some positives about HBO max

I already had it, because I already had HBO. They finally added it to Roku, so I didnt have to do stupid stuff to make it work on my TV.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2020, 07:09:56 PM »
Here's a quick info dump that I didn't bother to post as it was happening.

WW84 didn't review that well... but apparently good enough for WB who has fast tracked WW3 (WW1999?) to be directed by same person.

$70M spent to finish JL for Zach Snyder.... WB announces that they have no plans to continue the Snyderverse after this. But they will be releasing BvS Remastered on HBO and BRD
some #restorethesnyderverse or something like that is trending.

WB also announced that they will be running with 2 Batman trilogies at the same time. They will alternate each other, and they feel the general audience is smart enough to follow both.  No idea if Batfleck is the other Batman or if it will be something like Batman Beyond.

Dude that played Cyborg continues to press on his "accountability" tour against WB and Joss Whedon. States that the new WB CEO is part of the problem by being an enabler, and also tried to silence him by throwing Whedon and other under the bus to save Geoff Johns(?), but that he refuses to do another WB movie under the current CEO of WB.

I can't remember all the details. But apparently theres a bunch of DC related projects in the works.... we just conitinue to not hear about many of them other than Batman, and now WW and I guess SS.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:14:53 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: December 31, 2020, 07:36:11 PM »
DC is actually doing what I've wanted them to do for years. I was working at a call center almost 10 years ago, and while I was in the bathroom pissing I thought "they should just make multiple batman series"

This was right when the Dark Knight Rises was coming out. I thought about how it was pretty cool how each director or creative force who had control of Batman had something different to say and make, and that it was silly that they would wait for one director to execute their vision and then reboot it. Why wait? You could fill out a schedule better if you ran parallels.

I thought it would be cool if they held a contest that would be a cross between project greenlight and Face/Off where they find some directors and have them compete in rounds for making movies. They get 4 months to make a movie, and then whatever they make ends up on a streaming service for all to watch, they would go through 3-4 rounds with increasing budgets, some would be eliminated, an then eventually it would culminate in 3 Batman movies. This is pretty close to that.

Then years later I thought of this concept called Bat Time. Similar Idea. Just a random anthology of Batman "movies" Some would have continuity with others, some wouldn't. You could have a guest director for each and focus on something. Comic book lore is pretty deep. They could go all over the place. I wouldn't have minded watching another Schumacher Batman. It's a pity he passed recently. He got such a bad rap, but I wonder how much of that was 90s studio interference. The guy also directed Lost Boys, Falling Down, and 8MM.

Also, with the Mandalorian now, it is amazing what you can do with new studio tech. I feel like I watched like 3 Star Wars movies since The Rise of Skywalker came out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 04, 2021, 06:27:12 PM »
Hmmmmm..... this one is beyond me.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:35:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 04, 2021, 06:44:43 PM »
Hmmmmm..... this one is beyond me.
Michael Keaton is too old to play Terry McGinnis. No need for stunt casting. Just pick a younger, less known actor instead of the household name.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:47 PM »
/s?

Clearly Keaton is playing Old Bruce Wayne/ Retired Batman
no idea who McGinnis / Batman Beyond will be.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:15:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #862 on: January 05, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »
Live action Batman Beyond is overdue to me, so I'm willing to give it a chance despite the constant disappointment from the DCEU.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #863 on: January 06, 2021, 07:36:10 AM »
I am really disappointed that DC comics once had a universe that aged and had characters age and have kids and move on.  I really wish that Crisis never happened.  I wish that DC could have aged its universe pass the mantel to a new generation and have a truly growing and evolving universe.  Then if books wanted to revisit eras from that universe they could. Why this rant?  Because Batman Beyond did that very well.  It was a natural future for the Justice League Cartoon universe and I would have loved for Batman Beyond to have grown into Superman Beyond and eventually retire to a new show Justice League Beyond.  But alas that never happened.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 06, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »
It sounds good in theory, but it opens up a lot of confusing issues.

Superman, for example, essentially never ages.  How does his alter-ego get handled?  Does he stay with Lois, being her 40ish year old boy toy as she passes away in her 80s?  Or does she get de-aged every few years like Magneto seems to?  Does he end up getting so disgusted with humanity that he just flies off to go live on another planet?  I would.  But that doesn't make a compelling story for four issues a month for the last 30 years or so.

Comic continuity is a mess.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #865 on: January 06, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »
I counter that with how Superman copes with a world around him that ages as he doesn't could make for interesting plot lines.  I think eventually he'd leave the planet as dealing with the JL and people in general would naturally frustrate him over the years.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 06, 2021, 08:32:57 PM »
It would make for an interesting one time story.  I guess you could have him go into space for a few years, get bored, come back to Earth, and tell a story of him getting reacquainted with future-Earth... And then?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 06, 2021, 08:53:47 PM »
It would make for an interesting one time story.  I guess you could have him go into space for a few years, get bored, come back to Earth, and tell a story of him getting reacquainted with future-Earth... And then?
Wasn’t that Superman Returns? It turned out the “and then” was Superman was a dead-beat dad and the world was like perfectly fine without him. *lose horn*

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 06, 2021, 09:20:49 PM »
Dead-beat father and a rapist.  I don't understand the appeal of that movie.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #869 on: January 07, 2021, 12:11:53 AM »
The Superman movies are all pretty lackluster to me.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 08, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
The first one, when you take it in a historical context, is pretty dang amazing.  As a movie, I feel it still holds up today.

I need to see the remix of the second.  But the original version is... *okay*.

Everything after that... *cat hairball sounds*

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 08, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
even the studio theatrical cut of superman 2 is entertaining. Superman can take off his S on his chest and throw it around and do stuff because "eh!?"

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #872 on: January 08, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
The first one, when you take it in a historical context, is pretty dang amazing. 

That's fair.  The context does matter with a film like that.

Superman 2 is okay at best.  Those movies just don't really do much for me personally.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 08, 2021, 10:18:27 PM »
The first movie I ever saw at the theaters was Superman IV. My brother simultaneously watched Masters of the Universe at a different plex.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Is anyone watching Superman and Lois on the CW?   It is really good and I love the direction it is going in from the first episode.  There is a bit in the first few minutes of the first episode which goes back to the ideal version of Superman as this hero is something to be striving for.  It also has some in there about the downsides of being Superman and much more.   I really like the first episode.

I have also been watching BatWoman. I watched the first season with Ruby Rose and then all that stuff she went through. Absolutely horrible.  Having to have her be replaced by Javicia Leslie. I like both Ruby and Javicia in different ways.  Ruby because of all the work she puts into Kate Kane and how passionate she is about finding her sister Beth. 

Javicia I like because she is showing a different look at how to be BatWoman because of her race and there is likely several things which happened in Season two that Ruby likely would be able to do. Lots of different stories that can be told with both. 

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.