Author Topic: Samurai Showdown Anthology Canceled?!  (Read 2593 times)

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Samurai Showdown Anthology Canceled?!
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »
Hey Guys, I just checked Amazon's site for info on the release of Samurai Showdown Anthology for the Wii, and it says 'Canceled'. Can anyone verify this? And why the heck would they cancel it? The PS2 version is apparently still on track, but I wanted to support the Wii :-\

Any info would be appreciated.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Samurai Showdown Anthology Canceled?!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:42:46 AM »
Well, I can't talk about the US but it's already released here, listed for 17€ (dirt cheap for a Wii game) on Amazon and ships within 24 hours.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:08:10 AM »
Not to mention some of the press got their hands on it. The PSP version is out now I believe.

Glad to to know someone else here is interested in this title besides me. I've been checking its release monthly, and it slowly gets pushed back by a month or so. It doesn't make sense unless SNK wants to release these games on VC/ Virtual Arcade individually get more money that way?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline SirSniffy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:13:30 PM »
Not to mention some of the press got their hands on it. The PSP version is out now I believe.
Samurai Showdown is one of my favorite series ever. I think that with any anthology, they usually rate it on the extra features that surround the titles. That ranking could be because there just aren't many modes or features. I will get it regardless of the platform, but I have really been trying to support the Wii more lately.

On a positive note, My friend told me that Gamestop is still accepting pre-orders for it. But with Gamestop...I don't know sometimes. I will wait and see.
On the surface simplicity...but the darkest pit in me...is Pagan Poetry...Pagan Poetry...

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
I may pick it up. It is cheap enough to where it isn't a huge risk like the SNK Classics (which I enjoyed).
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:27:54 PM »
Checked gamestop's site, they have pushed back again. Though this time, its 4/14. What's going on?

Best Buy doesn't have a Wii version when I searched for it. Target has listing, saying 'Item arriving 2-6 weeks. Order now.' Walmart says its 'coming soon' when I clicked for additional information. With no info from SNK, or from the gaming press, can we assume the worst?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 11:54:40 PM »
After a bit of a false start, (the game was released, but no brick and mortar stores carried it the first week in my area), I picked it up. Yes it exists, and yes, its still good after all these years.

Right off the bat, there's no widescreen support. If that's an issue, you've been warned. Also worth noting, there was no pixelation, at least on my TV. I quickly ran one of my VC games just to make sure it wasn't my eyes, but no, SNK must've did something.

Other than that, I put the first Samurai Shodown through its paces. You definatley want the classic controller for this one, or the Hori Stick if you're that dedicated. Buttons are customizable, you can use the d-pad or the analog stick if that's your thing. Controls are silky smooth on the CC, no complaints here.

From what I've gathered, loading the first Samurai Shodown is a mixture of the arcade and Neo Geo console version. The red blood is there (the Neo Geo version had white blood), you have unlimited continues (the Neo Geo version gave a set amount) and can set the difficulty a la home version. Though I never figured out what MVS meant... There's also a practice mode for Samurai Shodown I-V, with customizable settings, so you can learn the nuances of each game.

Those expecting to just jump in and slash and kick your way through will be disappointed. You have to look for openings and counters while not leaving yourself open. Long before Smash Bros, there's a person who runs across the screen either giving points, health, or a bomb (In part I and II at least, haven't checked the rest yet). This doesn't happen often, but if you're a super orthodox tightwad purist, know that it happens. Deal with it.

Move lists are available at the pause menu, though its a bit spartan. Its as if they just plastered it on the screen and called it a day.

Sounds are intact, though I notice that the soundtrack sounds clearer than the sound effects, at least in Samurai Shodown I and II. There's also an arranged mode if you want to hear these tracks using real instruments, but if you're a stickler for the original, you can ignore it.

After beating Samurai Shodown one with one of the characters, I'm impressed that A) The game has aged relatively well B) SNK didn't screw up royally  ;) I'm skittish about the game's initial distribution, though I'm sure Amazon Ebay and the usual online suspects have you covered. But if you have a passing interest, and some money to spare, I'd urge some urgency before it evaporates  8)
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 12:25:48 AM »
Though I never figured out what MVS meant...

MVS= Multi Video System. It was the arcade version of the Neo Geo. The home version was the AES (Advanced Entertainment System).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20