Author Topic: Mario Galaxy  (Read 237788 times)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
RE: Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2006, 06:23:36 PM »
Bill, I've played the game and I'm saying that very thing. We're not talking about control disjointment as though the control is "bad." No, the control is great, just as you would expect from a Mario game. The problem is related to the aesthetics of Mario - should we have control of a separate non-Mario entity? Why have a cursor at all? I don't feel like direct pointing is a necessary element of the game when the design of the game is so inspired without it. The cursor mucks up the philosophy of the design.

Edit: Tangential point: I suppose we ARE talking about the quality of the control, but we aren't talking about it being difficult or awkward or rough, necessarily. We're talking about it making sense when compared to the game design. My criticism of Zelda was similar except far more severe.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Super Mario Galaxy
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2006, 06:42:49 PM »
I don't see the issue here . . . Zelda has a damn cursor floating around and it has no effect on the gameplay "fairy wise I am not talking about shootingwise" Navi and we should stop calling her navi by the way shes green . . . not blue. . . anywhoo navi *lol* just is a cursor to pull up map menus and what not . . . She effects nothing on gameplay.  At least in mario that cursor is actually pulling him towards gravity holes and flinging him place to place.  Then again I can see what you guys are saying, why is there some floating star doing all this crap to mario . . . but honestly I see the pointer being used as a fundamental of the gameplay not something they could lop off.   This whole physics system with fling mario in space seems to be done only better with the cursor.  

My overall point here is that games like Zelda and Metal Gear are meant to pull you into the story, feel emotion for the character per se.  Mario always has been fun interactivity between me and the game.  The story is always the same in matter of fact I am going to go out on the limb and say the Princess gets stolen YET AGAIN, OH NOES I SHOULD OF PUT SPOILERS ON MY PREDICTIONS. . .  I am more interested in how they can make the game more fun and different from the normal mario platforming.  I dont need to be joined at the hip by mario.  

No matter how unattached you guys feel about distancing yourself from Mario you can never completely sever your ties from him anyways.  Look at how young kids playing video games look when trying out a game for the first time, they tend to jump when the character jumps and turn the controller in a racing game to help steer the car.  We do the same, we immerse ourselves in games because we allow our subcontious to do so.  I believe thats called the suspension of disbelief, we do the same in movies.  We can watch a futuristic war movie and totally believe in the movie because it seems real to us.  We are essentially allowing our common sense take a chill pill and believe whatever is on the screen.  I think Marios planetal journey is goin to do the same with or without a frantic star zooming  all over the screen due to my shaky hands.

thans enough rambling on my end tho  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2006, 07:40:28 PM »
I felt exactly the same way as svevan at first. And yet...

When you're playing with action figures, you don't control just one. You don't just control Woody, but also little bo peep, and her sheep. You see what I'm saying here?  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
Not really. But I DO see what darkheart is saying..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
Only 122 days left! Hype hype hype!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
"The problem is related to the aesthetics of Mario - should we have control of a separate non-Mario entity? Why have a cursor at all? I don't feel like direct pointing is a necessary element of the game when the design of the game is so inspired without it. The cursor mucks up the philosophy of the design."

I like how Svevan was the only person to ever complain about this... =3
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2007, 05:40:42 PM »
Hmmm... maybe games are about interaction, not psychologically distancing yourself from a character?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2007, 06:52:09 PM »
I'd say this is more like removing the waterpack and making it seperate.

With the waterpack in Sunshine, you were really controlling it instead of Mario at times. When you think about it, you were just directing which way the waterpack hovered, where it travelled at high speed or when it would spray out water to attack enemies or find secrets. But because the waterpack was so closely connected to Mario, it was easier to view it all as Mario's actions. But really, the waterpack is a seprate entity. At times, you needed to act in harmony with it. The waterpack can't jump or ground pound. But Mario can.

Likewise with this game, a cursor may be collecting items or hurting enemies. It may seem more disorienting because it is more seperated than the waterpack. But, like learning to control the waterpack with Mario's actions, the brain may begin to adjust and view it as a part of his actions.

And let's not get into Sunshine's third entity, the camera. You want to talk about taking a person out of the action......
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
Well, for the sake of it, I must say that I enjoyed the Hover Pack in Super Mario Sunshine as much as I enjoyed the Raccoon Tail in Super Mario Bros. 3.  Now, the Tanooki Suit, Kuribo's Boot, Frog Suit, and Hammer Bros. Suit were better, but the Raccoon Tail and Water Pack were about on the same level to me, and upgrades of similar nature.

Essentially, both made the game more focused on jumping and allowed greater platforming feats.  The problem is that the Hover Nozzle was required for nearly everything.  Really, I'd have much preferred the thing have run out of water easier, be more difficult to fill, or just disappear when Mario got hit.  I would have liked some secret areas that only Water Pack Mario could reach that were really hidden, or had a SCUBA Suite/Frog Suit for Mario that would work better than the normal Hover Pack did.  Ideally, though, I would have appreciated a Raccoon Tail in the game over the entire switchable nozzle side of the Water Pack.  You could fly to the heights the Jet Nozzle allowed, and slowly fall to get the distance of the Hover Nozzle.  Classic Mario meets Mario 64, IMO.  The Tail shouldn't have been needed for everything, and would go away with a hit.

Of course, I think the normal water Spray Nozzle was a bad choice.  At times, it was too strong, at other times, it did nothing or little to enemies, and at even other times, it was too mandatory.  If the Fire Flower could have been in the game, it would have been able to double up this purpose, yet have been less mandatory.

That said, I like Super Mario Sunshine more than Super Mario 64, it's just at the point in time it was released, I was better trained to pick out flaws and annoying things.  The Water Pack was definitely a step toward incorporating the old SMB 3 gameplay into the SM 64 environment, I just think it could have been done better.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:56 PM »
Better, as in the Bee suit, yes?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »
Have I played Super Mario Galaxy yet?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2007, 07:32:55 PM »
No, but you buy the hype!

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2007, 07:37:11 PM »
I'd love a linear 3D remake of SMB 3.  I think that could have potential.

But yes, I think SMG looks like the best 3D Mario yet.  I'm glad costumes are back, and I think the game will be Game of the Year.

However, I like the Game of the Year games to be fun and entertaining, and I think the people responsible for that just liked to play table top RPGs all their life.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2007, 07:40:53 PM »

But yes, I think SMG looks like the best 3D Mario yet. I'm glad costumes are back, and I think the game will be Game of the Year.

I agree =)

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
I like how Svevan was the only person to ever complain about this... =3

Eh?

Originally posted by: Smoke39
I agree with Svev
GOREGASM!

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2007, 08:17:56 PM »
Haha, you really think you count?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »
I just hope the cursor in SMG doesn't create a game that while fun, is vacuous and flashy trash. Actually you know, I believe that as we are playing Mario he represents our inner spirit, his adventure to save the princess is our drive to accomplish something spectacular. As we are interconnected with Mario we are going on a spiritual journey ourselves, to face the dangers of life through the context of Mario's world. The goomba represents our need to distract ourselves from daily life through a much needed shroom, which if we don't avoid or destroy, we are hurt, representing the trials and tribulations of drug use. Now the 1up shroom represents the opposite of goomba, in that it is a rare and wonderus food that will help us grow, such as friendship. This is what Mario has always been about, and his battle with Bowser has been our inner demon that we must conquer, and since demons come in many forms we must come up with different ways to defeat them.

Now that we have a cursor in Mario Galaxy, our personality is in turn divided amongst our conscious and subconscious. While we feel as if we are playing Mario (our conscious) subconsciously we are guiding the world around him through the cursor. In a way the cursor represents how our sub conscious guides us during our path, while the conscious is when we willingly do an action, as is seen by controlling Mario directly. When both of these are not in tune, our personality is split into two and our sub conscious begins to fight with our conscious, which could be disastrous. So in a way it appears Mario galaxy is training us to meld both together and live a productive life. This is why I support Mario Galaxies unique controls!  If you don't understand what I am saying, the conscious represents the super-ego, and sub-conscious represents the id. While the Ego represents the combination of those two which you need to accomplish if you wish to connect yourself with Mario in Mario Galaxy.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »
Evan thinks way to deeply about things, how the hell do you enjoy games lol.

Edit: GP makes possibly one of the best posts of all time.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
I just hope the cursor in SMG doesn't create a game that while fun, is vacuous and flashy trash. Actually you know, I believe that as we are playing Mario he represents our inner spirit, his adventure to save the princess is our drive to accomplish something spectacular. As we are interconnected with Mario we are going on a spiritual journey ourselves, to face the dangers of life through the context of Mario's world. The goomba represents our need to distract ourselves from daily life through a much needed shroom, which if we don't avoid or destroy, we are hurt, representing the trials and tribulations of drug use. Now the 1up shroom represents the opposite of goomba, in that it is a rare and wonderus food that will help us grow, such as friendship. This is what Mario has always been about, and his battle with Bowser has been our inner demon that we must conquer, and since demons come in many forms we must come up with different ways to defeat them.

Now that we have a cursor in Mario Galaxy, our personality is in turn divided amongst our conscious and subconscious. While we feel as if we are playing Mario (our conscious) subconsciously we are guiding the world around him through the cursor. In a way the cursor represents how our sub conscious guides us during our path, while the conscious is when we willingly do an action, as is seen by controlling Mario directly. When both of these are not in tune, our personality is split into two and our sub conscious begins to fight with our conscious, which could be disastrous. So in a way it appears Mario galaxy is training us to meld both together and live a productive life. This is why I support Mario Galaxies unique controls!  If you don't understand what I am saying, the conscious represents the super-ego, and sub-conscious represents the id. While the Ego represents the combination of those two which you need to accomplish if you wish to connect yourself with Mario in Mario Galaxy.

@_@

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2007, 12:26:33 AM »
GP you crazy anti-intellectual, I think you might be on to something here. I understand SMG now, I can finally play in peace now that I am enlightened.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2007, 05:17:32 AM »
That was fantastic, GP.  If message board posting is an art, then that post is a masterpiece.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2007, 05:36:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Paradox.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2007, 05:49:11 AM »

Originally posted by: Mashiro

Do you ever listen to the podcast?  I'm hoping you do, 'cause it's awesome beyond belief, but when Evan is on.. yeah, he thinks WAY too deep into things sometime.  There's a reason why everyone kept getting on to you that one time during the anniversary show, Evan.  :P

I think it's great having Evan on there, though.  He creates a sort of diversion from the way everyone else thinks.  Counter-balancing, I suppose.  But it makes for one heck of an interesting podcast.  ^_^  
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »
Yeah I listen to the podcasts regularly now, I haven't heard evan on it yet though (haven't listening to the older episodes yet).

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »
He was last on the anniversary show, and it was quite hilarious.  They wouldn't let Evan get a word in, it seemed.  I felt kinda bad for him.  You should definitely go back and listen to some of the beginning NWR podcasts (PGC then..), and listen for Mike and Evan's commentary.  Good stuff.

But back on topic...

I really hope we do see other transformations other than the Bee suit and the Boo suit.  This game will own completely if it can rival Super Mario Bros. 3 in terms of that.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!