Author Topic: Comcast to Merge Tech TV and G4 Networks  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Comcast to Merge Tech TV and G4 Networks
« on: March 25, 2004, 02:37:57 PM »
The combined television network will focus on gaming and cater to a larger market.

Comcast today announced its purchase of Tech TV, home of "X-Play" as well as other technology-focused programming.  Tech TV will be merged with Comcast's own G4 channel, which is geared specifically towards video gamers but has floundered with a smaller distribution network.  The new, combined network will be accessible by 44 million cable and satellite subscribers, a considerable increase from G4's previous distribution of 15 million subscribers.  The sale was estimated at $300 million USD.

It is currently unclear what kind of programming the new channel will offer, though gaming is likely to remain a significant, if not exclusive, focus for the network.

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Comcast to Merge Tech TV and G4 Networks
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:50:48 PM »
Cool, yo?

I want G4.  And I want TechTV.  But I don't want Xplay.  HMM
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 02:54:02 PM »
I'll be sooooo pissed off is The Screen Savers gets canned....  I'll also be pissed off it the whole thing turns into a big sex crazed ratings fest...  Argh....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
RE:Comcast to Merge Tech TV and G4 Networks
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 02:55:21 PM »
Well maybe now G4TV woun't have as many re-reuns of the same shows all week long.  You seriously only need to tune in 2 days a week to catch new episodes of anything, and then its rereuns all week long.

Never seen TechTV so that will definaltely add something to the channel.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 04:23:23 PM »
I really like TechTV, so I hope we don't lose a lot of the good programming that's on there now.  Personally, I think X-Play is garbage, especially with their reviews.  Gross misprononciation of characters' names, inability to understand simple game mechanics, and other things like having someone who hates shooters review a shooter game and give it a bad score are just some of the things that killed the show for me.  I've never seen G4, so I have some hope that the video game side of this new channel will be good, but I'm more worried about losing my favorite techtv shows.
Nintendo is my crack.

Offline Coarse_Limely

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »
In college, my TV was always tuned to Tech TV. Screen Savers was awesome, and there was always something interesting on. Now I don't watch anything on the channel except X-Play, though.

I've been watching a lot of G4, instead, and I really enjoy their programs. Portal was awesome for awhile, but then they lost their good voice actors, and killed off the best character on the show (one of the most hilarious characters ever created, in fact). Cinematech is cool sometimes, with CG sequences from every game that has 'em. The news show is pretty good, and up-to-date. I hope they lose Judgement Day and keep X-Play instead. tommy telarico may be a good soundtrack composer, but he has terrible taste in games. Starcade is funny to watch. It's a video arcade game show from the early 80's. The show had 2 hosts, and both of them were so incredibly rude to the guests half the time, it's sad. "Boy, you're not very good at this game, are you? Well, back to your podium and let's see how good your opponent does!"

Should be interesting to see how the programming for the new network pans out. I hope they start Portal over from the beginning. Everybody should watch it. It starts out slow, but after they defeat The Ultimate the first time and Apex shows up and starts causing trouble, the show turns into solid gold!

Offline cubedcinder128

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 04:36:32 PM »

Originally posted by: The Imperious Leader
I really like TechTV, so I hope we don't lose a lot of the good programming that's on there now.  Personally, I think X-Play is garbage, especially with their reviews.  Gross misprononciation of characters' names, inability to understand simple game mechanics, and other things like having someone who hates shooters review a shooter game and give it a bad score are just some of the things that killed the show for me.  I've never seen G4, so I have some hope that the video game side of this new channel will be good, but I'm more worried about losing my favorite techtv shows.

I concur. TechTV isn't as good as it was before 2003 started, but I watched Call for Help every afternoon and sometimes watched The Screen Savers as well, even though most of the good people from there have nowadays gone elsewhere (or places that have just ruined them, in Morgan's case of moving to X-Play)

As PaleZer0 said, if they remove my favorites and replace them with crappy copies of X-Play that are merely designed to attract people my age, then I'll be seriously ticked.
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 04:40:59 PM »
Good Riddance to Addam Sesler. Such an idiot! I shed no tears for any potential loss of X-Play... I did like Leop Lapport on the Screen Savers though

Offline uwvark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 08:16:37 PM »
I don't know what to think. I liked having the only 24 hour a day totally dedicated to vg channel. I can see it had major problems though. Maybe this will fix em. ?
POWER, WISDOM, & COURAGE

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 09:01:21 PM »
Rather strangely, I was randomly "interviewed" by G4 on the GDC showroom floor today. I don't know when the GDC special airs, but keep an eye out for attendee comments on Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!

It's a shame I don't get G4 here...  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 10:57:08 PM »
I was also interviewed by G4 today at the Expo.  It was kinda weird....my first press interview.  They told me it was going to run in about 2 weeks.  I forget the name of the show, but I believe it started with an F.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 11:09:10 PM »
I hope they don't get rid of X Play- it's one of the best shows on television, certainly the best show about videogames. They're unbiased, fair, and funny most of the time. TechTV is overall a great channel. G4, on the other hand, sucks balls. Comcast would be better off just airing some more gaming shows on TechTV and dropping G4 altogether.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline android advance

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2004, 12:20:30 AM »
Man yall got to go to GDC. I wanted to go so bad but I can't afford to go.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26:27 AM »
I hate parts of X Play with a passion.  But it's still better than G4.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 12:14:41 PM »
Filter: Diane Mizota... and some stuff about video games. Oh, right, it's a top ten show. And G4 does indeed suck testes. The best shows on there are JD [yeah, the reviews suck, but it's funny; that's the point] and Electric Playground [interviews that kick the living hell out of Xboxtv.com's]. And that show with Diane. It's Filter, I think?

This can only be good for the channel though. Regardless of the quality TechTV [I've never seen it], at least this will pull it out of rerun hell.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline ameliaempire

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 01:45:12 PM »
This is some kind of sick joke! From what I have read, nobody gives a toss about G4... except that Comcast has invested zillions of dollars. So in order to save face, they are buying TechTV to kill it, and have a wider distribution channel for the failed G4 network. I guess they have loads of money to burn. It just makes me ill. I mean, who is this Charles Hirschhorn character? And what does he have on Comcast that they let him get away with such flawed thinking? I think I will go punt kick my television out the window! Oh yea... I forgot, I don't matter. I am not part of the targeted demographic group. X-p

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 06:58:36 PM »

Originally posted by: PaleZer0
I'll be sooooo pissed off is The Screen Savers gets canned....

I just saw part of the SSs and I got the impression that the show would be safe.

I personally like Xplay, not sayin` it's good or bad just that I like it.
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 09:52:12 PM »
http://www.g4tv.com/techtvmerger/

Don't worry, guys.  Your friends Leo and Adam are safe on the merged network.  It doesn't look like Tech TV's lineup will be affected too much, though I'll be a little upset if Unscrewed is canned.

Also, it looks like Berto2K is right.  Here's the online description of the G4 show Filter:

G4's exciting video game countdown show will help viewers sort through the endless number of games, characters and new gaming systems. Each episode will count down the best (or worst) of the video game world, with the results determined and voted on by G4 viewers at the G4tv.com website. Each rank on the countdown will also feature game clips, viewer e-mail and "man on the street" interviews.

Watch for new episodes of Filter on Thursdays at 10:30 PM EST/7:30 PM PST

That certainly reminds me of my brief experience.  So those of you out there with G4, keep an eye out and VCR tape ready for Berto2K and me the next few Thursday nights!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi