Author Topic: Kimishima: Online Service Cost 2000 To 3000 Yen Annually  (Read 7897 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Kimishima: Online Service Cost 2000 To 3000 Yen Annually
« on: February 01, 2017, 04:40:40 AM »

...now how much would you pay?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/44067/kimishima-online-service-cost-2000-to-3000-yen-annually

The Nikkei newspaper appears to have nailed down a price range for the Switch's online service.

Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima was asked about the online service cost in an interview with Nikkei, and he confirmed the annual cost would be between 2000 and 3000 yen (roughly US$18 - $27).

The online service is so far confirmed to include online multiplayer and one "classic game" (NES or Super Nintendo) rental per month, with the SNES games adding online play. More details are expected before the service launches this fall. Comparable services for the Xbox One and PlayStation systems, including 4-6 free games per month to keep for the life of the subscription, are US$60 a year.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline fred13

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: Kimishima: Online Service Cost 2000 To 3000 Yen Annually
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 01:09:02 PM »
$20 is the max I'd pay.
I don't play games online very often so it's hard for me to justify paying for a subscription to be able to play online.
Plus, they also said on Splatoon 2 there's voice chat, but you can only chat with your "Friends" I'm sorry , but I don't have enough friends that play Nintendo games consistantly to make that work at all and if I did, I'd just open a google hangouts with them and chat that way since we're going to have to use our phones anyway.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
I can live with $20.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »
I can live with $20.

$20.00?!?!

But seriously, I think this is sort of confirmation of a theory I had in my head after we began discussing Nintendo charging for online last month. I was disappointed that Nintendo wasn't pursuing the free online strategy they had kept with for 10 years now since I thought it would make a great selling point. But I think it's clear that the online infrastructure they've got is starting to suck into their profits with maintenance. Consider Miiverse and all the pictures and images posted on that which just keeps growing. Then you've got administrators who constantly have to be checking over all the posts created to keep it all family friendly and they need to be paid. It got me thinking that perhaps the charge for online would be low to basically cover the maintenance costs and make a little bit of profit. I think this price range seems to be inline with that thought.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »
Except they got rid of Miiverse.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Yeah probably because of ballooning costs and the need to keep policing the users and the content they post.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 02:11:26 PM »
I think a bigger reason for getting rid of Miiverse is because it was basically an echo chamber for the hardcore Nintendo fans that the rest of the world wasn't seeing.  I imagine they want people using other forms of social media with the Switch now so that many non-Nintendo fans can see what they're Nintendo friends are talking about and be more likely to create more word of mouth outside of the Nintendo faithful.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 02:20:52 PM »
Oh, I just posted about this in our other thread. Sorry.

I can live with $20 considering I don't pay for any other subscription services.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
It's less than I thought, but I'd still prefer a free option with less features.

Miiverse being (essentially) contained within the system is what I liked about it. I won't use one tied to social media, so I'll miss Miiverse.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 02:41:38 PM »
Yeah, $20 is good.

I don't get why Nintendo couldn't keep Miiverse and include other social media integration.  Miiverse is a cool, fun Nintendo space.  I don't really post there, but I like to look at communities from time to time.  Though, to be honest, most of what I see are things that trickle their way into Twitter anyway.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:29 PM »
So roughly $3/month cdn. Might be OK. Have to see what they offer.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:03 PM »
This is pricing for Japan. We'll have to see where it falls in other regions because I think the $20 figure is a little on the optimistic side. I say that $30-40 USD is still in play at this point.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:36:26 PM »
This is pricing for Japan. We'll have to see where it falls in other regions because I think the $20 figure is a little on the optimistic side. I say that $30-40 USD is still in play at this point.
Really, though? Is Kimishima so clueless that he is unaware Nintendo watchers all around the world will be quoting him on his pricing estimate? I guess if they come out with a clarification in a day we will know for sure, but the Switch conference was done live for the globe, so I'm thinkin' he knows what effect his pronouncements will have.

Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Really, though? Is Kimishima so clueless that he is unaware Nintendo watchers all around the world will be quoting him on his pricing estimate? I guess if they come out with a clarification in a day we will know for sure, but the Switch conference was done live for the globe, so I'm thinkin' he knows what effect his pronouncements will have.

Yeah, considering the Switch Reveal was done globally and so much Nintendo news from Japan gets posted throughout all regions after it is released, I have to think that Kimishima is aware that other regions will be aware of his comments and comparing pricing and offerings.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
I will accept 30 dollars, but only if it stops people from arguing about overseas inflation.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
Good! That's pretty reasonable to me. Well just so long as everything works with some modern sensibilities I will bite.

Voice chat in Splatoon only with friends is just fine by me. Most of my friends who I play with online are you guys anyway so it's not like I have to worry about keeping up with real life people. I'm a 30 year old dad now, aint no body got time for real life! And my friends I do play with online never talk anyway. I'm looking at you Mopitup!

I'm sure Call of Duty will let you chat with anyone and everyone but I've learned to cut that horse ship off immediately. I remember being so excited to finally use voice chat with the Wii U and Black Ops 2. That first week was great! People were nice and just shooting the breeze and by week 2 it was just disgusting. I get called n***** and f** enough in Smash bros through text, I certainly don't want to hear it out loud.

Is there any online community with open voice chat that people actually look forward to or is everything just some type of party chat with only friends? I figure its just kids and the socially inept who enjoy all that verbal chaos.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
Considering I, Evan_B, subscribe to many online services already, I cannot at all live with 20$ on a yearly basis!

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »
With the little that we know, I can't see myself paying more than $25 for Nintendo online.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 07:16:45 PM »
It's going to cost $100 a year for online. What a rip off.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »
Considering I, Evan_B, subscribe to many online services already, I cannot at all live with 20$ on a yearly basis!
Ay, shut up. No one cares.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
$20 a year isn't bad. The only upside to a paid online service is if companies like EA and Activision are willing to give full online support because they are getting a cut of the money.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »
Im glad it wont be as expensive as Xbox Live Gold. Im wondering what it will be here in Australia. Im hoping for $30, but Im expecting $40.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 02:25:34 AM »
This is better. I mean, the online service is still bad at the moment due to the lack of detailed information, but it's nice to hear that it might not be the full PS+ and XBL Gold price of US$60.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »
Much less than I was expecting. $20 a year is less than $2 a month.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
Not too bad a year... As long as I play something at least once a month I'm getting some value out of paying for it.
Mission...complete?