Author Topic: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime  (Read 14926 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:08:45 AM »
I saw a trailer for this game while wandering around E3 and I knew that I instantly had to buy it. It impressed me so much I forgot all about the lackluster Children of Mana demo I had just played.

And now Game Informer has an online preview of the game that just re-affirms my desire for this game, perhaps the game I've actually been most excited about from Square/Enix since Super Mario RPG!

You're the last free slime! All the other slimes have all been taken hostage! You have to save them!

Rocket Slime begins with an army of Plob forces ransacking your hometown of Boingburg. They kidnap all 100 citizens and have left massive spike balls blocking key shops, a save point, a museum, and other vital locations. Rocket must save every abducted slime and take out every evil monster if he hopes to succeed in getting things back to normal.

It has an innovative action-rpg battle system involving shooting your character around like a rubber band and tossing your items (of which you can carry only three at a time) into various contraptions!

Just hold the A button and press the D-pad in the direction you’d like to launch. Once you hit an enemy, item, or friend, move Rocket under the flying object and he will catch it. Rocket can carry up to three objects at once. Hit B to throw them at other enemies, into cannons, or onto mine carts and rafts. The carts and rafts are found throughout every level and manage to form a convenient, yet plausible way for tank ammo and captured enemies to get back to your town. Rocket can even use this himself as a way to get instantly back to town.

Your town grows as you progress in the game!

Once you send a new monster type back to town, a friendly version of it will prance around the streets with the rest of the happy slimes. And if you collect enough of a certain type, it will be made into a statue in the museum.

and it has TANK BATTLES!!!

the tank fights, you must run around from three different screens collecting ammo that falls out of little chutes. Next you move over to the cannons and toss the ammo in. The two cannons on every tank either shoot forward in a straight line or arc upwards slightly. If two pieces of average ammo collide in midair, both rounds are cancelled out. This means you’ll have to be smart about how you distribute ammo to the upper and lower cannons. Some ammo also needs to be handled very carefully as it will explode or crumble into dust. Just don’t let it crash on the ground and you’ll be fine for the most part.

You must physically leave your tank via walking or shooting yourself out of a cannon. Once inside the enemy’s tank you can disable ammo chutes and attack members of the other team. But the main goal is to go towards the heart room and take it out. You’ll have to blast through many barriers to get there, but the heart only takes one hit and everything is over.

At first you have to do all of the shooting and smashing yourself, but eventually your slime buddies will help you out. Only a select few of the 100 slimes can participate in tank combat, but the ones that do always offer something unique. Some can heal party members, others aggressively try to bust into the enemy tank and cause havoc, while others make sure to get rid of any invading monsters. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

SquareEnix! TAKE MY MONEY!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
RE: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
ahem

and

ahem

We had some coverage too... =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE:Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 10:29:05 AM »
Um.... hehehe... yeah....

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 06:29:45 AM »
I got this yesterday... tank battles are fun and kind of hetic.  I finished on with 0 HP and the other still had 50+.  I ran back and forth between firing ammo at the other tank and running down to kill off the baddies that tried to kill my tanks heart.  I managed to get the other tank to 0 and on my way over killed off baddies on the way there and killed their tank heart and won the battle.  This was after I had upped my tank's hp to the max that I was currently able to get it (220).  the rival tank had 200 hp.

I have saved like 28 or 29 slimes so far.  
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 07:56:47 AM »
I'm so excited for this.  I have no money so I was timing my return of Sonic Rush so that it happens that Rocket slime would be the next on my GameQ.  When is PGC going to have a review?  (I'm not sure if I want to buy yet because money is tight right now.)
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 10:02:18 AM »
Another DS game I want that has no release date! And I just put Rockman ZX on order!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 10:10:27 AM »
Mega Man ZX is good, but has a lot of wadering around if you don't know where a section you need to be is.  Also the game is not easy.  On normal the boss fights seem to be harder than they should or need to be for a "normal" difficulty.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 10:21:47 AM »
This game looks good, and it seems to be reviewing well.  Me wantee, but I need to save money for Wii instead...
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 10:23:07 AM »
Rocket demands you buy him now!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 01:04:26 AM »
Eh, I'll wait for now, I've been spending way too much on games lately (even though the only full price game I bought during the last ~6 months was Melty Blood) and I need to build up my cash reserves again in case I want to get a Wii.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:56:29 PM »
OMG. Buy this game. NOW.

Seriously, this game returns us to the actual FUN of action games, it returns us to simple but intuitive controls, and it gives us BIG DAMN TANKS to blow up! Oh my god, the characters are so great, and it has a kirby-esque charm to it!

One enemy tank is named Chrono Twigger. That enough should be worth purchase.

I bought the game and lent it to my younger brother since I'm a nice guy, but seriously, I just spent 3 hours watching him play... WATCHING HIM PLAY HIS DS... last night just because this is so pwnful. I'm thinking of buying my own personal copy now since he's basically taken over my copy.

You want more third party support for Nintendo? Good, buy this game. You want to play good games? Good. Buy this game.

... it's AWESOME! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 09:04:03 PM »
Need more money .

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2006, 09:57:05 AM »
the game is full of square-enix things. that said, I have only two slimes left to find, and they are the last two  in the game you get.

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 01:49:07 AM »
The manual's headings include "Control Squishtem", "A Goolance at the Game Screens", and "Introgoocing Items".

I think this may just be the Best Game Ever.  (Keep in mind that I generally loathe any Square game, so me liking this is actually a PRETTY BIG DEAL.)
It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 06:24:33 AM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
One enemy tank is named Chrono Twigger. That enough should be worth purchase.
I wonder if that's a hint of things to come
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 06:39:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Aussie Ben PGC
The manual's headings include "Control Squishtem", "A Goolance at the Game Screens", and "Introgoocing Items".

I think this may just be the Best Game Ever.  (Keep in mind that I generally loathe any Square game, so me liking this is actually a PRETTY BIG DEAL.)

BIG DEAL! BIG DEAL!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006, 07:46:47 AM »
Game Complete.  The closing credits are full of Slime reffrences.  Made completeing the game all the much better, too.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »

Originally posted by: Aussie Ben PGC

Good thing it's an Enix game, eh?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2006, 10:51:11 AM »
Hey I'm missing two slimes in the Forewood Forest and I've picked that place apart.  Anybody have any idea where they might be.  I now it has to be around a well because I didn't find one well.  I've already completed 3 other ares so this is very annoying.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 07:39:46 AM »
This guy seems pretty stoked.  

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 11:51:16 AM »
I actually found them.  There is a well covered with Leaves by the entrance to the boss.

Good game.  Tank battles are pretty intense.

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2006, 12:55:42 PM »
This game is awesome.  Adorable and fun.  I do wish that the difficulty was a little bit higher - I have a feeling I'm going to blow through this one the same way I do with every good DS game, and then be stuck wishing there were more games like this.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2006, 01:20:08 PM »
I just hate the fact that wireless Tank Battles are 1 vs. 1 PvP.

They should use multi-cart to let players get in teams together and either do 4 vs. 4 PvP or let a team of 4 players tackle some uber-hard like Computer teams!

ARGH! Make some Co-op multiplay! Then I'd have no regret buying an additional copy of this game for myself!

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2006, 08:20:39 PM »
I just beat it completely, well I beat all the tank battles and story.  I have to say it gets really intense towards the end.  For my last 5 tank battles I pretty much had to keep the leader of the other tank at bay until there engine room was open.  Then I have to beat them up again rush over and hope to God that they didn't make it across the field and to my engine before I made it to theirs.

4 vs 4 Player tank battles would be awesome.  Though there have to only be 1 captain to keep the feel of the game.  My biggest quirk with this game is even at the end my arsenal was no where near what the enemy had toward a little over 2/3 of the way through.  I also had no luck collecting things like medical herbs because you can't carry those. Overall a good game  at a good length.  Any longer and it would have been tedious.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »
Help: Im at Mt. Krakatorda, and am stuck. I have already been in the first tank battle, but dont know what to do. Right of the Giant gate near the top, to the right past the stairs leading to the piggy bank, I am at the place with the totum pole holding the 1000T weight. I know I need certain items and swith them to activate the switch, but I dont know which ones. How do I procede from here?
We will rise from the litter boxes, and send humans into the doghouses.          BEWARE!!!!! ....                                    Muah ha ha!!!!