Author Topic: Is Microsoft worried, or going in for the kill?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Is Microsoft worried, or going in for the kill?
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:17:47 PM »
From CheapAssGamer

Less than 1 Year on the market, and the word on the street is that the XBox 360 is going to be getting a price drop on Aug 1st.  Sorta.

Starting August 1st, the Xbox 360 bundle that includes:

* Xbox 360 premium
   * 4 months free of Live
   * 1250 Live points
   * PGR3

will be retailing for $399.

According to a breakdown later in the thread, it comes out to be about a $50 value (PGR3 is the only first party title not to drop to $30 and the speculation is that MS is keeping it at $50 to make the bundle look like a better deal.  1200 Live points are $12 and a 3-month Live card is about $12 and you get a free month with the purchase of the system).

So...  speculate.  Pretty early for a price drop... Is MS running scared or do they smell the blood in the water?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Is Microsoft worried, or going in for the kill?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:27:29 PM »
I criticize PGR3 for not running at 60fps.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 05:55:08 PM »
And for rendering below the requisite HD resolution watermark. Xbox180, more like.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline cmoney

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
At least they're not trying to dump copies of PDZ on people.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 09:54:06 PM »
Both.

They're moving in to kill the PS3 but they're terrified of what the Wii might do.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:20:16 PM »
They're acting normal. The system has been out for quite some time now and it's time for bundles to appear. I've seen a retailer bundle the X360 premium with King Kong for 380€ once, THAT is bad.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Is Microsoft worried, or going in for the kill?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 04:43:49 AM »
$399 is a "sale" price? lol

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 05:23:12 AM »
It looks less like a price drop and more like MS is going to be bundeling stuff with it.

Right now the Xbox 360 premium is $399, And when you first sign up any Xbox360 you get 1 free month of XboxLive and you get 1000 Live Points.

So this isn't that big of a deal. All your getting is 3 more months of XboxLive, 250 more LivePoints and a copy of PGR3 which more then likely will be a 'Platinum Hit' come the time this package comes out.

I think people are blowing this out of proportion. Now IF Sony came out and said they were going to bundel GT and give you $25 Sony Bucks then ya I would see that as being a big deal because Sony has never come out of the gate with a Bundle system.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 05:40:11 AM »
I still think its early for a  bundle.  The only reason I see the bundle actually coming out is that the Wii is threatening Oct.  The 360 needs enough penetration that when the PS3 come you'll see that the launch games look like nothing really special while MS is shooting off a fairly solid lineup for less.  I think they are also hoping that this will stem the tied of Wii buyers a little and help christmas, the whole I have money for 1 console at this price.  People wait for the price drop.  Shoot if that had been a game I cared about it look pretty attractive.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 06:57:25 AM »
I agree with KDR, this is normal.  Maybe slightly earlier than I expected, but the holidays are coming and to go a whole year without any kind of price drop or bundle would be very odd.  Look at the Nintendogs and Mario Kart bundles on DS last year.  Actually, it's probably smart to do the bundle earlier rather than later, it could expand Microsoft's lead.  Gotta do it while you can.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:02 PM »
How do i get those 1000 free points since I never got them.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »
What are live points?  They weren't around for the original xbox.  Is that the ranking system where they give you points for doing stupid extra things in games you have long since beaten.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 09:08:38 AM »
I really think that Microsoft is at a point of strength at the point in the game.  They have a very nice system that is expensive, but compared to the other system coming out, is very fairly priced.  Their system has graphics that are beginning to truly look next generation and already has a large list of games that appeal to its core market (US gamers.)

Its too competitors are Nintendo and Sony.  Sony has a system that is going for the exact same market and even strategy as Microsoft...yet the system is drastic price increase over the Xbox 360 which will hinder sales.

Nintendo has a cheaper system focusing on innovation, but with inferior graphics capabilities, Xbox 360s core market is likely to ignore this system.  

So do I believe Microsoft is worried?  No.  I think they are definately going in for the kill.  They are going to do whatever they can to stop Sony's new system from picking up steam.

And I don't even think Microsoft even cares if Nintendo is successful, because killing Sony will land Microsoft in either first or second place by a huge margin.  

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 09:21:10 AM »
I think the big three are always worried about each other - the question, of course, is how much.

The Xbox 360 is currently the top in the next-gen console wars only because it's the only one that's out yet!  When the PS3 and Wii come out, people who have been holding out on jumping to the next-gen 'cause they were waiting for one of those two or both instead of the Xbox 360, then the Xbox 360 won't be the only uber-console on the block, so of course Microsoft would do something to try to make it more appealing.

It's not like the Xbox 360 is actually making Microsoft any money...so a price cut to lose more is essentially trying to "buy" more market share.

Is this price cut early?  I wouldn't say so.

Did they release it too early?  I'd say so...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:33 AM »
MS would be much much more domininant coming into this season if the 360 hadn't been plagued with unreliable hardware.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 11:07:27 AM »
Ceric:  This is true.  There was much bad press about Microsoft's new console, and if Sony had a competing system that didn't seem plagued with similar problems, and a higher price then I would think that the hardware problems would have been more sever.

Yet, I don't think it is going to be a problem.  This holiday season will be interesting to see how Nintendo is perceived after all the E-3 hype and positive press going into launch.

I still don't believe Microsoft is worried about Nintendo.  I am sure they believe the Gamecube audience is the true Nintendo audience and market...and they are ignoring the DS market as potentially the new Nintendo market and audience.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »
Microsoft still phayls in Japan so who cares.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »
I think Microsoft was not worried about Nintendo, but judging by all the comments from Peter Moore and even that one from Bill Gates, I think MS has taken notice of Wii.  Really, who couldn't, after it's showing at E3?  There is still the possibility that Nintendo will come out of the gate running so fast that it will flatten both other consoles, in spite of the power disparity.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 05:15:02 PM »
I think they need to just lower the price of the console, make LIVE free for the first year if you buy before 07 begins, and hope Gears keeps them alive through the launches this fall.  Packing in a game isn't a good idea if you ask me because most people who adopt the console this fall will be looking for Gears of War first and formost.  If I had the money I'd do it, but I believe it will be just a Wii this year.  
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2006, 11:07:25 PM »
Well. Canada is getting that rumoured bundle, but no news if the US will be getting the same..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2006, 11:12:11 PM »
My mentor at Microsoft, Ed Ventura, has not heard of any plans for the bundle pack in the U.S. Then again it may not be an area he would be involved with (he is head of franchise development). Regardless he gave me a free copy of PGR3, so my Xbox 360 purchase is almost like a bundle pack .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144