Author Topic: REVO on display at GDC  (Read 4619 times)

Offline Aussiedude

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
REVO on display at GDC
« on: March 22, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »
First clear pic of Revs rear end.

revolution report
Will Wii Win?  

Offline Fro

• View Profile
RE: REVO on display at GDC
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/697/697733p1.html

IGN has a ridiclous amount of high-res pics up.  Matt says Nintendo reps were telling him this is still the prototype from Tokyo Game Show.

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 05:01:03 PM »
This system is retardedly gorgeous. It is art.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
Still no pictures of the games...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2006, 05:37:56 PM »
Oh shits!  Hide the thread quick before Ian comes in here!

There still isn't an ethernet port!
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 05:45:20 PM »
"Oh shits! Hide the thread quick before Ian comes in here!  There still isn't an ethernet port!"

I honestly didn't think of that until you mentioned it.  Eh, I've expressed my disapproval of that decision enough times.

What I'm noticing is that there's just an AV Out port.  The Cube has two ports, with one being for component cables.  So what's being supported here?  Not doing HD is one thing but not even matching what the Cube's video output options would be pretty lame.  Maybe they just use one port now?

Offline Rafalapso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 05:55:30 PM »
I guess that this AV Out is the gamecube digital out.

Offline RiskyChris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:03:18 PM »
Holy crap.  The controller changed?

a,b -> X,Y

??

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »
It's a,b when held sideways... probably for playing NES games. Makes it a bit easier to understand that layout.

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 06:17:07 PM »
I don't think the output can be identical to the Cube's digital out, because the digital out on Cube doesn't carry sound... and there is no second port for sound on the Rev prototype. It could always be added later, I guess.

But I don't see it as a sign for worry. It's proprietary. It can be made to support all outputs, like the 360's port. It's more cost effective that way. You just use the correct wire accessory for your setup.

The controller positioning bar doesn't seem to have a port either, unless it go into one of the USB slots.    
"wow."

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 06:23:26 PM »
Well since that REV and Remote on display are the older designs shown at last Tokyo Game Show, I ain't gonna comment on it yet.

And btw, how many photos does one need to take?! Geez, like 5 max for the REV. To whomever took the pics: grow-up!

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
RE:REVO on display at GDC
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Oh shits! Hide the thread quick before Ian comes in here!  There still isn't an ethernet port!"

I honestly didn't think of that until you mentioned it.  Eh, I've expressed my disapproval of that decision enough times.

What I'm noticing is that there's just an AV Out port.  The Cube has two ports, with one being for component cables.  So what's being supported here?  Not doing HD is one thing but not even matching what the Cube's video output options would be pretty lame.  Maybe they just use one port now?

It's possible Nintendo's found a way to replicate the functions of both in a single port.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 06:39:11 PM »
If you actually read the article you'd notice the model is the same one as at TGS. The actual 'new' model won't surface until E3. And if you remember, the patents filed AFTER TGS showed that extra port. Clearly that will be on the model (likely audio out) but not this one.

EDIT: And apparantly the controller changed, but the changes haven't been shown/announced yet.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 06:48:13 PM »
I appreciated seeing the thing in comparison to the controller/dc-out/ds.

The rev is TINY. And gorgeous.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline 31 Flavas

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 07:29:37 PM »

Originally posted by: jasonditz

It's possible Nintendo's found a way to replicate the functions of both in a single port.
Hell, Sony/Microsoft have... it really shouldn't be an amazing discovery/feature.

"Once 6 A.M roles around on Friday it's like a human tsunami and everything will be taken within minutes." -- Luigi Dude

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 08:33:40 AM »
The best looking next gen console and a blue light and slot loading dvd drive to boot.  

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 10:19:08 AM »
Yeah I noticed the machine after fighting my way throug the crowd playing the various DS demos. It sure it nice to look at close up. As for the size of  the drive if anyone remember the old Zip drives, that is about the size of the unit. The controler is about the size of a small remote and the numchuck looks to fit comfortably in your hands.

When I went yesterday it was like walking through a mine feild there were many cameras and I was shooed out of one shot being taken at the GarageGames booth.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 02:49:47 PM »
The Ethernet issue could be a lot worse.  When I was at Target picking up Metroid Prime: Hunters, I noticed the Xbox 360 accessories.  The Wifi adapter dongle thing is $99.99.  That's how much I paid for my DS, and it has wifi built in.  

Offline slacker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 05:32:58 PM »
The rev looks very nice. Give me an all metal special edition or clear edition, and I'll wind up actually camping out to get one (that is if there will be a shortage of course). Its the best looking one so far. Very contemporary and very stylish. Now, for the games plz....