Author Topic: Disney bought Fox: Fox Shareholders Agreed to $71B Disney Buyout!!  (Read 65748 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
The Marvel Cinematic Universe: so utterly incapable of creating a good villain that Disney went out & bought Fox's instead of hiring competent writers.
There’s no guarantee that the villains Marvel get back in the deal will be any better written.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
They had Marvel rights, but only because they ripped off Marvel with shitty contracts. We're all Nintendo people, can you imagine if to this day the Zelda CDi crap continued and Nintendo had no control over it? Or if Nintendo had followed through with the Playstation? The only reason why Marvel made those deals before is they were in a shitty financial position trying to stay afloat. Comics have only had a few periods of booming money making. Their artistic intellectual endeavor has always been consistent.

I don't see how it was Fox's fault for making an offer that Marvel accepted.  Marvel was in bad financial way, and Superhero movies were NOT the booming business they are today.  Marvel still had all the rights to make comic books, merchandise, etc, just not movies or tv.

And your example needs to be amended, it'd be like if Nintendo sold-off the movie/tv rights to Mario and Zelda today, not the franchises themselves.  If Video game movies become a breakaway success in the next 5-10 years, it wasn't the buyer screwing Nintendo, it was them making a deal at the time they felt was mutually beneficial, and the buyer ended up being the one who got the better deal in the long run.

The point was Marvel as a company was somewhat incompetent with the IP. Nintendo licensed stuff, they never sold "film rights" Disney never screwed up that badly. Nintendo almost did at some point. Disney has licensed stuff to Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't have the infinite playing card producing rights to Mickey Mouse cards as long as Nintendo keeps producing Card decks. They're not incompetent.  Marvel on the other hand could be buying Disney at this point if they had just looked over the wording of the contracts harder.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for X-Mas!?
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »
Good News Everyone (officially to be read in Farnsworth voice - it's Disney cannon now)

Deadpool to remain R-rated in Disney's care - says Bob Iger
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/deadpool-will-stay-r-rated-fox-disney-merger-1067651

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:50:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Disney bought Fox: X-Men & Fantastic 4 coming home for X-Mas!!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 04:45:11 PM »

That's a helluva coincidence....

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
Looks like Fox is expecting the deal to be completed by next summer, at the latest.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/disney-fox-merger-close-idate-summer-2019-fbc-diet-fox-peter-rice-1202363025/

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 12:57:12 AM »
Fox throwing in the towel after Dark Phoenix?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/04/19/kevin-feige-hoovering-up-deadpool-fantastic-four-and-x-men-for-marvels-phase-4-dark-phoenix-the-last-fox-x-men-movie/

No New Mutants.
No Doom
No Gambit
No X-Force
No Silver Surfer
No X-23

....but hopefully Deadpool 3 will still happen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:50:31 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
I don't think it necessarily those movies are all canned...but their current iteration would be. Which, besides X-Force, is a good thing. Pretty sure New Mutants is still happening, because it was essentially finished.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 01:56:00 PM »
I wonder how much Disney is gonna pick up from where Fox is leaving off.  I'd think most of those movies would be pretty much canned.  Isn't New Mutants the only one that's kind of done?  It's a sunk cost for the studio that Fox is recouping from the sale and that Disney likely wouldn't be concerned with.  I don't think there's much to gain by keeping a Gambit movie in production that just has Channing Tatum tied to it and little else.  Anything X-Men might be better built from the Deadpool universe.  The rest of the X-Men movies have been a series of poor characterizations.  The only real issue is explaining away the last couple of X-Men movies.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
If New Mutants is done and Disney wants to get something out of it while also trying to distance themselves from it with the intention of rebooting X-Men, maybe let Netflix release it as a Netflix Original. It wouldn’t be the first time Netflix picked up a movie like this.

I agree with building off Deadpool to reboot X-Men. Without having seen Deadpool 2, there’s very little connecting it to Fox’s main X-Men films right now. Off the top of my head, it reused the mansion exterior for Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. Does that really matter? If we nitpick, I suppose Deadpool mass murdering fools should have caught the attention of The Avengers, but I think it’s better to just handwave that away. I mean, the Netflix Marvel shows only casually hint at being connected so it isn’t much of a stretch.

Additionally, recasting Colossus, not showing any other existing mutant in Fox’s continuity, and having the final set piece on a totally-not-a-SHIELD-Helicarrier works in favor of stealth-inserting Deadpool into the MCU. “Wade Wilson were there all along,” Kevin Feige says as he turns into the shrug emoji.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 10:03:05 PM »
I would love to see Deadpool pop up in random movies just to explain the continuity errors integrating the universes would make.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
New Mutants looked like a more interesting concept than any of the crap Marvel has been putting out for the past four years, so if it gets axed I would be disappointed, but not surprised.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 06:41:35 PM »
I did like that New Mutants was trying to be a horror movie. Technically the movie was done before they decided to delay for reshoots and adding a prominent character to the story.

Maybe they scrap the changes.... or maybe Netflix picks up the tab on the reshoots to stream it instead of a theater release?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »
So apparently Comcast offered 16% more than Disney to buy Fox, but they went with Disney anyway, for various reasons. Man, that would have SUCKED.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 04:58:08 AM »
I would love to see Deadpool pop up in random movies just to explain the continuity errors integrating the universes would make.

That would be great. They can always James Bond "forget about it" too.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2018, 11:01:21 AM »
So there is a multi-layered story going around right now about Comcast teasing that they will make a $60B CASH Offer for FOX if the AT&T/Time Warner merger is allowed to happen.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1I82I7?__twitter_impression=true

This is ontop of them also pitching to do a full buyout of the Sky Broadcasting in Europe.

the different angles pitched on this is that ONE, this is crazy talk, because not only would paying all this in cash severely cash strap Comcast, but according to a supposed FOX Stock holder, that $60B doesn't even include the $12B of FOX debt that the Disney deal of $52B in stock assets absorbs. And on top of that, there are severe taxes to be had with that much cash involved in a transaction, which also according to the same supposed FOX shareholder, makes the Disney offer still seem much better, as the stocks assets are tax deferred and still appreciating.

Now the other side of this is that Comcast is announcing this before a decision is made in the AT&T merger because they are trying to force a decision, and in the meantime push news that will hopefully make Disney stock take a dip that will depreciate the stock value and make the offer seem less desireable from a $ for $ stand point.

So from my understanding this is the financial breakdown Comcast is willing to put down to spoil this for Disney:

$30B for the portion of Sky that Fox don't own
$60B for Fox in CASH
$12B for the Fox debts that they will have to absorb to sweeten the deal and at least match Disney.

a total of $102B? That seems quite steep. And I think if they make this acquisition happen, it might make Comcast even bigger than AT&T if their merger is allowed to go thru.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
I read that the Fox attempt will only go out if the ATT deal passes, and from what little I have read, it sounds like the courts/feds will shoot that down. So all this Comcast talk is fluff to me unless they are green-lit to merge w/ ATT. It is also known that the majority owner of Fox hates cash deals because of the extra tax burden, so I'm pretty sure this will be dead in the water. Not like Disney couldn't flex a bit more cash muscles and up the ante again to elbow them out.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
We don't get exciting business drama like this very often, so I'm enjoying watching this play out.

The only other notable story is Elon Musk v/s investors.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2018, 09:04:06 PM »
I read that the Fox attempt will only go out if the ATT deal passes

That is literally the 1st sentence of the post you are responding to. LOL

So there is a multi-layered story going around right now about Comcast teasing that they will make a $60B CASH Offer for FOX if the AT&T/Time Warner merger is allowed to happen

and from what little I have read, it sounds like the courts/feds will shoot that down. So all this Comcast talk is fluff to me unless they are green-lit to merge w/ ATT.

Well..... according to a tweet today by AT&T, they have some sort of connection to bribery consulting payments to Cohen LLC (yes, Trump's fixer "Lawyer") that the DOJ refuses to discuss, yet strangely seems connected to that period time where AT&T was looking to gain favor on a ruling of their merger.

So assuming that lumps AT&T into the dark rabbit hole that is on the topic of undiscussable, that may put a nail in the coffin of this deal if a certain other investigation is involved, because that other investigation has all of those communications.... the truth will be known soon enough

So all this Comcast talk is fluff to me unless they are green-lit to merge w/ ATT. It is also known that the majority owner of Fox hates cash deals because of the extra tax burden, so I'm pretty sure this will be dead in the water. Not like Disney couldn't flex a bit more cash muscles and up the ante again to elbow them out.

Let's hope Disney doesn't have to sweeten up anything in the deal.
I'm didn't really care about the AT&T/Warner deal, but now that it's caught up in what it's caught up in, and the fact that Comcast is banking on it succeeding, I hope it crumbles before there is even a ruling about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:05:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
Senate will open hearings on AT&T, they're gonna be in deep **** soon.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2018, 09:11:08 PM »
Disney can (probably still) buy Fox, but they can't buy James Murdoch.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-murdoch-wouldnt-move-to-disney-if-fox-deal-closes-1525824120

Also, the added political intrigue is making things extra spicy!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2018, 09:20:41 PM »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2018, 09:50:04 PM »
Disney can (probably still) buy Fox, but they can't buy James Murdoch.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/james-murdoch-wouldnt-move-to-disney-if-fox-deal-closes-1525824120

Also, the added political intrigue is making things extra spicy!

Wasn't he always going to stay with the FOX New Channel and send his sons to some day be hopeful head figures in the Disney House of the Mouse?

and here is BOMBSHELL dropped that is undiscussable here on it's own.
but Page 4 and 5 are related to AT&T
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pskgpwr15r48tx5/Executive%20Summary.pdf?dl=0

Everything else is related to "Stupid Watergate Speedrun Record"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2018, 01:01:09 AM »
Huh, I'm sorry BnM, I totally missed that first point you made. I even reread your post to make sure you didn't mention it and I still glossed over that part.

Also, that dropbox file is gone now, but with how this thing is continuing down the political path then I have no desire to continue. I've tried to tune most of that circus side show out. Just hoping Comcast doesn't have their way in this matter.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2018, 02:15:44 AM »
Huh, I'm sorry BnM, I totally missed that first point you made. I even reread your post to make sure you didn't mention it and I still glossed over that part.

Also, that dropbox file is gone now, but with how this thing is continuing down the political path then I have no desire to continue. I've tried to tune most of that circus side show out. Just hoping Comcast doesn't have their way in this matter.

It's all good. I also mentioned the cash being taxed, but at least I know you were on the same page, even if you didn't actually read what I posted. lol
I also would have saved or quoted the relevant stuff out of that link (and there was A LOT... it will all come up again as it was all from the Stormy Lawyer, and Cohen's counsel's response was "How did he know about that!?") but we can't directly discuss any of that here.... so I didn't bother. Now it's gone.

If I find another link that backed it up. I'll repost it. Very juicy heads up on the news for the next few days. LOL

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2018, 02:50:54 AM »
I still had the page up, so I was able to save it.

here is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/43bpqfhibyu57u6/AACz54hgjT-ONinfyNjEh45aa?dl=0

Let me know if it works or not. It should be a pdf page
I can still see it in my browser, but the page itself is gone.

edit: That link doesn't appear to work...
I still have it up. Lot of stuff straight from Avenetti.... :/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 02:53:10 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »