Author Topic: Damn that stupid WiiU tablet.  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Pantburster

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
Damn that stupid WiiU tablet.
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
I believe Nintendo invented a great method of gaming control when they introduced the world to the wiimote and here we are getting hyped about an analog stick based controller? has the world gone mad? Side-on Nes style, tilt and motion, and amazing pointer usage in shooters, this piece of kit when accepted for what it can do instead of what it can't do is an amazing advance on gaming. If you take a classic like Resident evil 4 and simply add the pointer it improves it or take a game like Mercury and add tilt it improves it. I want to know who wants a tablet, have we become fashion victims following apple in a direction that is not healthy for gaming?

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
Re: Damn that stupid WiiU tablet.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
I believe Nintendo invented a great method of gaming control when they introduced the world to the wiimote and here we are getting hyped about an analog stick based controller? has the world gone mad? Side-on Nes style, tilt and motion, and amazing pointer usage in shooters, this piece of kit when accepted for what it can do instead of what it can't do is an amazing advance on gaming. If you take a classic like Resident evil 4 and simply add the pointer it improves it or take a game like Mercury and add tilt it improves it. I want to know who wants a tablet, have we become fashion victims following apple in a direction that is not healthy for gaming?

It's a good thing then that we can still use our Wii remotes for Wii U. Whether or not they see much support is another matter entirely but at least developers have the option.
Gouge away.

Offline Disco Stu

• Has a Fever for Saturday Night
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
It's a way to support traditional gameplay while still driving it forward instead of sidestepping the traditional stuff entirely.  I for one am happy about this.
I got hooked on the white stuff back in the 70s.

Offline Pantburster

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »
If you look at the uptake of secondary input devices for all systems then you can see the wiimote is more or less abandoned! How many games used the gamecube pad on Wii? or the six axis control on ps3 or Kinect on XB360, need i go on? the fantastic Wiimote/nunchuk has been replaced by a very bad thing indeed.

Third party support will continue to be a problem for nintendo even with an analog stick device. They should of stuck to the plan of appealing to a broader audience whilst keeping the fanboys sweet with new IP's or for me F zero Gx 2 :-)

I can't see how the WiiU pad is gonna work for wii sports gamers they created this gen and i also can't see hardcore gamers dumping their xboxes or ps3's to play WiiU when their new and more powerful boxes are round the corner.

I'll stick with my Wii for now, i have a ton of games left to complete.

The only way they can get out of this hole is through amazing games! So get your creative finger out Nintendo because all you have left is fanboys this gen and they still remember the bloody nose you gave them last gen.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
One reason why the Wii was panned so hard by the hardcore is because of the wiimote.  While I think it moved gaming forward, it is not something that works for every type of game.  Unfortunately, developers ended up making it the only form of control for many games and those games suffered.  With the tablet, Nintendo gives an analogue controller for those wanting that, a big screen DS essentially, and the wiimote is still supported, plus a new and improved traditional controller to boot.  Really, Nintendo isn't getting rid of the wiimote, it's just making sure that it is not the only option this time around.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
Louie is right, the Wii Remote will still be supported (hell, at E3 it was heavily shown and used for first party Wii U games), but the Wii U GamePad will give them parity with other systems since third parties (and gamers) often complained about the Wii Remote + Nunchu having fewer buttons.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
It's a good thing then that we can still use our Wii remotes for Wii U. Whether or not they see much support is another matter entirely but at least developers have the option.

Anyone who's afraid of non-Gamepad controllers not being supported need not for one reason:  Only 2 Gamepads can be used at a time.  U Pro controllers will be accounted for regularly in every game that allows for 4 players.  It remains to be seen if developers are convinced that many people still have Wiimotes, let alone Wiimotes and Nunchucks, but hopefully they also support that input along w/ U Pro.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:47 PM »
I still think it's likely there will be a Remote+ packed in with the system.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:49 AM »
As others have pointed out the old wiimote thing is still supported, plus the Tablet thing has a few tilt and tumble waggle gimmicks of its own.

The best way to think of the Wii U's tablet controller is if a Wiimote, Classic Controller, and DS were all fused together during some weird Star Trek Transporter malfunction.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:21:15 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »
More like Brundle Fly.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
eh, I don't really agree with the OP but there are some serious downsides to the tablet. 

It's got to be the most expensive controller ever included with a system and that's driving up the cost of the system.  Maybe manufacturing costs will drop a little bit but unless Nintendo is going to sell the system a real loss, those expenses are passed on to early adopters as well as people that wait for the system to build a good library.  How much of a price-drop can Nintendo afford in 3 years?  Probably not as much of one as they could have had they not used the tablet.  That screen and the chipset and battery that makes it function are expenses that aren't going to go away.

I have no high hopes for the battery either.  If the range for the tablet was 50 feet, and I could use it around the home without any problems, i'd be cool with 3-4 hours of use, but if I have to be within 20 feet of the system, there better be some serious battery life in the tablet (10+ hours per charge).  If I'm tethered to the system by wireless range, don't tether me to the charger, too--it really defeats the point of having a wireless controller in the first place.

Offline n-phage

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:39:43 PM »
I think this is the primary reason why I am not nearly as excited for the WiiU as I have been for past Nintendo systems.  I vastly prefer the wiimote + nunchuk over dual analog.  I would have preferred an improved version of the wiimote over the tablet controller.  To me it really is a step backwards.  I understand that the wiimote is still an option, but I have my doubts to how much it will actually be utilized in single player experiences.  I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of third party games don't allow it as an option.

Offline Ashraf_2003

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Wiimote
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
Well, I'm sure that most third party developers will focus on developing for the Wii  U  pro controller, and no matter how Nintendo is putting the Wii U gamepad in the front, I think it's going to be ignored by the hardcore gamers and they will only use the Wii  U pro controller , Nintendo is used to making products and then it just sinks and never rise, the Wii U pro controller is going to be the man of the next generation.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »
Every game shown so far uses the GamePad in at least some capacity. I really doubt devs are going to ignore it in favor of the Pro controller, when it does everything the Pro does and then some. Even if it's just for a menu or a map, the vast majority of Wii U games will use the GamePad.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 05:05:50 PM »
I think a bigger problem is that the WiiU is going to support non-motion+ wiimotes. If that's the baseline, motion+ will be as futile as it was on the Wii. They should have canned the regulars and suffered the consumer confusion consequences. Or started throwing out motion+dongles like candy.