Author Topic: Official DS Sales Thread  (Read 697109 times)

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
RE:Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #1600 on: April 04, 2006, 08:27:18 PM »

Originally posted by: animecyberrat
yeah the broadband verses dial up debate  is so irrelevant now because the few people who dont have broadband only dont have it because they dont look into it.

You can get satelite internet anywhere and dsl is over the phone lines so if you have dial up you can get dsl. try contacting yahoo sbc or one of the national providers dont ask aol or any of the stupid local phone companies cuz they dont usualy know crap about anything. theres also wireless cable thatc an also provide high speed internet so unless you live deep in the woods up in the mountains where theres not even phone lines and radio signals you can get dsl or cable internet some way some how. Sure you might have to pay somewhere close to 34 dollars a month for it but its more than worth it to get rid of dial up, not just due to speed but reliablity and its always on so you dont have to worry about missing phone calls.

I have friends who live down in the snake river canyon who cant get cell service or local radio and who are out of city limits and no cable whoc an still get dsl.

Not necessary, You would have to live pretty near the tower in order to get dsl, otherwise the further you are the slower it is. Despite having a phone line does not necessary gurrantee you can get dsl, you'll still need a provider and in most areas that may not be for quite sometime.

It took several years before my area could have dsl ( Which I have, 5mb connection )

Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Official DS Sales Thread
« Reply #1601 on: April 04, 2006, 08:38:14 PM »
43 million households have broadband connections right now. In the past 3 years, the US went from 2/3 of internet connected households using dialup to 2/3 using broadband. High speed internet access is not some rare thing that's restricted to huge metropolitan areas anymore, it's the rule rather than the exception. Look at what you originally said:

"Until High Speed Internet is available to the majority of the US,"

Not only is it "available" in the majority of the US, it has already been gotten by the majority of the US.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 05, 2006, 12:32:32 AM »
Careful, "broadband" can mean 256kbaud.

Offline cmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 05, 2006, 01:47:51 AM »
Yuck

10mbps is stardard fare here. Praise Jesus.  

Offline NobleXenon54

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 05, 2006, 03:26:11 AM »
Doesn't satellite Internet suck for playing online games, because of the horrible ping times? I live out in the woods and I can NOT get any form of high speed Internet for online game playing. Seriously, I only live 3 miles from the CO box and can not get DSL. The are no cable lines, wireless towers, or anything. The only way I can get it is if I move., I even looked at my IP to see what their DSL offers, and it is only 512kbps. If anyone here wants to work for Frontiernet and bury a fiber line for me, please do so.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: April 05, 2006, 07:11:17 AM »
256k is plenty for what we're talking about here though, game downloads.  

Offline hudsonhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: April 05, 2006, 07:57:33 AM »

Originally posted by: NobleXenon54
I only live 3 miles from the CO box and can not get DSL.

You could probably get ISDN, or IDSL.  May be cost prohibitive though, you might want to call your phone company and find out.  ISDN's range is just over 3 miles.

Sattelite internet sucks for a ton of reasons - cost, latency (ping times) and upload, since you still use dialup for your upstream.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: April 05, 2006, 08:10:36 AM »

Originally posted by: hudsonhawk

Sattelite internet sucks for a ton of reasons - cost, latency (ping times) and upload, since you still use dialup for your upstream.

That's no longer true actually. Two way satellite internet access has been available for a few years now.  

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #1608 on: April 05, 2006, 10:17:22 AM »
Normally, DSL has a limit of 3 'cable' miles. I live less than 3 miles from the CO, but I wasn't able to get it. The reason is the longer the cable, the greater the resistance to the signal. So, someone living next door to the CO will have awesome access while the person at the end of the line will have some speed issues.

Repeaters can be placed on the line, but for some reason US companies have been resistant to the idea, while in Europe its supposedly common place (never been there, only what I heard).

Alot of places are now getting Internet access through electric lines. Not as fast as cable or DSL, but faster than dialup. And someday soon WiMax will be popping up all over the place. Its only a matter of a few years before anyone who wants fast internet will get it.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: April 05, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »
I can't believe it's that time of the week already....  Media Create Sales 27 Mar - 2 Apr

1. (PS2 - Sega) Pro Soccer wo Tsukurou Europe Championship- 149,000
2. (PS2, Banpresto) Another Century's Episode 2 - 111,000
3. (DS, Nintendo) Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 86,000 / 1,735,000
4. (PS2, Square Enix) Final Fantasy XII - 86,000 / 2,088,000
5. (DS, Nintendo) Pokemon Ranger: Diamond and Pearl e-no Michi - 83,000 / 277,000
6. (DS, Nintendo) Oideyo Doubutsu no Mori - 80,000 / 2,350,000
7. (DS, Nintendo) Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training - 52,000 / 1,821,000
8. (DS, Nintendo) Eigo ga Nigate na Otona no DS Training: Eigo Zuke - 50,000 / 753,000
9. (PSP, Konami) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Portable - 50,000
10. (PSP, Bandai) Naruto: Narutimate Portable - 41,000

11 PS2 Jikkyou Pachiko Slot ??? ! My Sky NEW
12 PS2 Zettai Zetsumei Toshi (Disaster Report) 2 NEW
13 NDS Mario Kart DS
14 PS2 Ace Combat Zero
15 NDS Xenosaga I/II NEW
16 PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou (Dynasty Warriors) 4 Empires
17 X360 RumbleRoses XX NEW
18 PS2 Gunparade Orchestra Green NEW
19 NDS Big Brain Academy
20 NDS Seiken Densetsu CHILDREN of MANA
21 NDS Tamagotchi DS
22 PSP Monster Hunter Portable
23 PS2 Sengoku Musou (Samurai Warrior) 2
24 NDS Daredemo Asobi Taizen
25 NDS San X Land -Let's play at Theme Park- NEW
26 GBA Cryon Shin chan
27 NDS Marheaven DS NEW
28 NDS Contact NEW
29 PS2 BLACK CAT
30 PS2 Monster 2

DS software sales in general are up, both Brain Trainings sold more than last week, FFXII down. Higher Brrain Training sales probably represent a bigger DS Lite shipment. Disappointing debut from Contact...

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: April 05, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »
What's up with Xenosaga I/II? This is the first I heard of the DS getting it.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: April 05, 2006, 11:32:29 PM »
Missed the thread some months ago? Basically it's a SNES-RPG-style version of both XS eps combined.

I found this interesting:
17 X360 RumbleRoses XX NEW

An XC game in the charts? IN JAPAN???
Interestingly Rumble Roses doesn't sell at all in the west. You can pick the PS2 version up for a tenner or so 'round here, the only game on the shelves that's even cheaper is Second Sight at 5 Euros.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: April 06, 2006, 01:32:09 AM »
The sad part about that is Second Sight is a good game. I haven't played Rumble Roses, but I haven't heard anything good about it either.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: April 06, 2006, 04:52:37 AM »
I've read that RR lacks features and characters but the combat engine is a good one and the fights play pretty well.

Almost considered buying Second Sight but then I read that it involves stealth and I'm not buying a stealth game, not even at 5 Euros.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: April 06, 2006, 05:06:17 AM »
I've never understood the popularity of games like that, completely stealth-based games. It's almost as if you bought a game to not play it. Metal Gear Solid = crap, which is why it did so poorly on the Gamecube, Gamecube owners like to be able to play their games, not sneaking around and avoiding all the action.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: April 06, 2006, 05:49:38 AM »
Thief is godly! mgs not so much though, I bought it for my PC and got bored of it pretty quickly. MGS is to focused on its cinematic parts, and with that I agree that the game is almost meant to not be played, but Thief is mind blowing, the tension Ive felt with the game hasnt been match by any other game on any other platform.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: April 06, 2006, 06:52:25 AM »
Thief indeed ruled. I loved going through that mansion at the beginning and filling the swimming pool with corpses

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: April 06, 2006, 07:28:49 AM »
Brandogg: RailPGs are the games you buy to not play, stealth games usually have a lot of gameplay. I don't like them because the loss condition is usually not defined very well (when can the guard see me?).

NOLF is said to be a good stealth game. Dunno, I've tried Nolf 2 and I don't think it's possible to go through the first level without being seen. That would certainly make ghosting impossible.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: April 06, 2006, 09:27:12 AM »
I can't believe that Contact did so poorly.  I hope Atlus doesn't back out of the North American release.  The thought makes me sad.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: April 06, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »
Hardware numbers for last week

DSL 149,371
DS 59,903
PSP 36,943
PS2 33,301
GBASP 6,732
Xbox360 3,258
GBM 2,992
GC 1,492
GBA 151
Xbox 68

DS continues to climb as Nintendo ship more and more, Xbox 360 sales double thanks to the smashing breakaway success of Rumble Roses.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: April 06, 2006, 06:50:46 PM »
I don't think this train is ready to stop.... woah
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 06, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »
Ummm...

(that's all I can manage to get out)

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 06, 2006, 06:59:18 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Missed the thread some months ago? Basically it's a SNES-RPG-style version of both XS eps combined.

Neat, so it's basically just like the PS2 versions only without all the FMV?

I've got two questions now:

1) Did they keep the penis monster from the first game?
2) Will there be a US release?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #1623 on: April 06, 2006, 07:36:31 PM »
MARIO, BRING BACK THE COMMENTARY
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 06, 2006, 07:53:28 PM »
am I alone in wanting to play at theme park?

I wish Nintendo would see to it that we get more obscure localizations instead of just the million-seller stuff.