Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 611967 times)

Offline Tansunn

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« Reply #1575 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
You're right on all points.  However, it seems weird that since the Motion Plus is supposedly 1:1 accurate that it wouldn't have me aiming at the floor when I pulled the bow out, since that's how it was oriented in my hand.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 30, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
The nunchuck isn't one to one though. So you aiming would still be off.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 30, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
Looks like I'll be spending $70 on this game. It's just a gold version of something I already have 2 of and yet here I am. So this is why my parents are disappointed in me.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: August 30, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »
You're right on all points.  However, it seems weird that since the Motion Plus is supposedly 1:1 accurate that it wouldn't have me aiming at the floor when I pulled the bow out, since that's how it was oriented in my hand.

Good point. In Resort you tell the bow when to orient, but Zelda would be different in that regard, huh? I assume they programmed the game to either give you a window in which to adjust the controller, or to ignore the first smooth movement it detects, but I haven't played the demo, so I'm not sure.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 30, 2011, 02:39:35 PM »
Since I don't have the Motion + attachment yet, the $70 bundle is a great deal.  I'm basically getting a golden Wiimote with Motion + support for only $20.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 31, 2011, 05:25:51 AM »
Aaaaaaaand... box-art.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 31, 2011, 12:44:13 PM »
That's much more colorful than most Zelda boxarts. Is it the PAL version only, or is NA getting the same?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1582 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »
The second image (the collectors box) is the boxart for the North American version. I think it feels more epic, though the PAL one is nice too.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
Got my Bundle Pre-ordered on Amazon after checking the last few days but, I'm to stingy to pay for better shipping...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 31, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
Thank you! That's more in keeping with what I expected. Although I agree that they're both nice on the eyes.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 31, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
Neither beats TP's boxart...but really, how could they?

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:02 PM »
I like the flying box art better, personally.  It communicates a lot more of what's different in this Zelda game.  Plus I'm pretty sure I have a thing for giant bird riding and floating cities in general.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 31, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
I like the flying one better too.  It focuses much more on the painted style that I like.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:23 AM »
I like the Bundle Box more.  It feels more like Zelda and holds the style of the Painted  Bird.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline marty

• Score: -96
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 01, 2011, 12:12:34 PM »
Both boxes look nice except for all the branding crap that every box has these days--  age rating, Wii logo, Nintendo logo-- sports games are generally the worst since they have so many liscenses that they (must?) show off.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1590 on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:54 PM »
Both boxes look nice except for all the branding crap that every box has these days--  age rating, Wii logo, Nintendo logo-- sports games are generally the worst since they have so many liscenses that they (must?) show off.

So, you have a problem with how video game boxart has existed for the lat 20+ years? EVERY game has those things on them: rating, system logo, publisher logo (sometimes developer logo) and been like this since the ESRB started (and even before then boxes would have the same stuff on). Not sure why you act like this is anything new. It's no different than a game released in 1995.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: September 07, 2011, 06:59:23 PM »
So it looks like the next issue of Game Informer will have some new Skyward Sword info.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/07/october-cover-revealed-the-safdlegend-of-zelda-skyward-sword1235dda.aspx

They say this issue comes out on September 13, which is the same day as Nintendo's event in Japan next week, and since Nintendo's event in Japan will happen first, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo shows off a new trailer for Skyward Sword at that event as well.

Either way, looks like Nintendo is finally going to start getting the hype train for this game starting next week.  For anyone looking to avoid spoilers, better be careful.  For the rest of us, all aboard, CHOO CHOO!!!
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: September 13, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »
Awesome new video showing the upgrade system! So glad something like this exists now and/or again!

Lots of things to collect that mean something and insects are back as well.

Music is bright and cheery just the way I like it. The 2 main tracks we can hear in this video are 10 times better than almost everything in TP as far as i'm concerned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YgfOpjd8AE&feature=player_embedded
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: September 13, 2011, 01:29:04 PM »
That's coolish.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: September 13, 2011, 01:47:16 PM »
What's cool is how Link uses a sailcloth to slow down his dive descent to a stop... sailcloth? That might mean we will sail on a boat at one point or another.

From that video we know how Link goes up between realms, and from Game Informer's exclusive video we know now how Link goes down between realms. Skydiving is awesome.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Zelda Interview! Good stuff!
« Reply #1595 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
One thing I liked about TP is that during the cut scenes it's clear motion capture was used for some of them, giving that nice smooth realistic flow to the characters. That isn't shown when he gets blown into the sky, it looks so primitive, but oh well.

On the other hand, the trees sway very nicely which is a nice plus! If you look closely you can see the shadows on the ground moving with the trees as well.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1194013p1.html
Eiji Aonuma has been speaking to Game Informer about Skyward Sword and the unique set of difficulties posed by making a Zelda game. "The problem is that when you do something once in a game like Ocarina of Time, when you make the next game it becomes expected that all of that is there. You end up spending a lot of time creating all these elements of the game just to meet expectations."

Aonuma said his aim for Skyward Sword is to "take the franchise into new places."

And it seems that one of the ways to innovate has been to employ a young, exciting development team. "A number of people working on Zelda now are people that grew up playing Zelda. From their perspective, they're looking at it as, 'What are some of the things that failed to be helpful in getting through the game?' They're stripping that out and streamlining.'"

But as with any Zelda title, heated debates will rage about its position within the overarching, and somewhat hazy, continuity. Speaking of the increasingly-elaborate Zelda mythos, Aonuma admitted, "We've made so many games now that we can't help but think about how those games connect to one another. However, that consideration comes late in the development process. When we create a new game, we don't start with a preset notion of what the story is going to be or how it's going to flow. We start by focusing in on what the core gameplay element is going to be and then develop from that."

And for the detractors, who believe there's no definitive timeline, well Aonuma said, "There is a document on my computer that has a stamp on it that says 'Top Secret'. I actually haven't even shown it to many of the staff members. One of the special privileges of being the producer of the series is that I have the right as we're finalizing the game's story to then decide what fits in.

"We've been talking a lot about how we're trying to make this Zelda game feel new and different, but there will come a point in the game where you'll still get that final feeling that this is still a Zelda game."

The structure seems familiar in part, with the forest temple and fire temple once again being the first two dungeons you'll enter. But one of the big changes is the inclusion of something called The Silent Realm. When Link places the Skyward Sword into the ground, he accesses this alternate world, where he must face a series of spiritual tests amidst nightmarish versions of previous areas. But upon entering The Silent Realm, Link is stripped of his weapons and must survive using a mixture of guile and stealth. Collossus-sized creatures called The Guardians defend this realm, and can kill you with a single hit. To defeat them, you must collect tears.

Perhaps symptomatic of Aonuma's approach to Skyward Sword is the main musical theme for Skyward Sword. It's Zelda's Lyllaby reversed. Similarly, Skyward Sword promises to be the Zelda series we all love, but maybe not quite as we know it.

I'm excited.

Edit

I just saw that video that Miyamoto runs us through, how is no one talking about it!? It looks fantastic! It was almost too much info for me! I don't want to see anything until I get the game!

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/12/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-swords-gorgeous-new-worlds?objectid=872155

Edit again.

Seriously either there is another thread where people are discussing this or everyone has just lost all hope in this game. Let's talk about it!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:34:06 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »
I spoiled the **** out of myself watching that Miyamoto clip. I don't want to hear or see anything other than impressions and game reviews.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »
Awesome, I love collecting crap and didn't get enough of it in Rare's N64 games.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: September 14, 2011, 03:28:47 PM »
Seriously either there is another thread where people are discussing this or everyone has just lost all hope in this game. Let's talk about it!
No, I refuse to talk about LoZ:SS Forever until its in my my Wii and has save data and activity on my memory.

Aw, who am I kidding.

I think the graphics looked excellent with the style.  To think the 3DS can do this :P:
I like how he climbed over the shield and the upgrade system may be interesting.  Looking at it though.  All the mushrooms sort of make me feel like I'm seeing Link visiting a different game heroe's world.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: September 14, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
I spoiled the **** out of myself watching that Miyamoto clip. I don't want to hear or see anything other than impressions and game reviews.

Finally some discussion! I'm with you about not hearing or seeing any more of Zelda before it comes out.

Zap at least these collectibles can actually mean something tangible to use in the game.

RomanceDawn