Author Topic: RFN RetroActive (Jr.) #34: Mario Tennis: Power Tour  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RFN RetroActive (Jr.) #34: Mario Tennis: Power Tour
« on: September 27, 2015, 05:53:12 PM »
Hey everyone! Here's the official thread for discussing Mario Tennis: Power Tour - the winner of your RetroActive Mario Maker-inspired poll! Please post your comments and discussions here and we'll use some of the excerpts from conversation on the show!

Remember, this game has an RPG mode, so I'm especially interested to hear your thoughts on that versus creating a more conventional sports game.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:59:00 PM by Crimm »
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive (Jr.) #34: Mario Tennis: Power Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 03:44:48 PM »
No one yet? Ok

Played and streamed the first hour today. I find it curious that the game spends the first 10 minutes or so hyping up this story and characters I care nothing about, yet when it's time to play you're encouraged to start taking on players without having taken part in a single tutorial. Some academy this is! You even have to go to the very end of the navigation screen, past the junior and senior courts to get to the training area. I've beaten the junior doubles matches and the first set of training mini games. Let's see how far I go.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:19 AM »
I've been a tad lazy to get to the game just yet. I'm a little inundated, but i'll try to get some play time. I did play the game boy color one when it was new.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:21:53 PM »
I've been playing casually for a few days and enjoying it... just finished the junior stuff (singles and doubles) and have started playing the training games. Like Soren mentioned, I find it really odd that there has been no instructions or tutorials at all so far - but don't mind just getting in and playing a bit after a relatively long intro.

The RPG elements and story (such as it is) are actually nice touches in my opinion. I like tennis games well enough, but not so much that I'd go out of my way to play one normally. These extra elements have helped make the game more interesting to me - at least, in the very early stages.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:38:47 PM »
meh tennis give me a kart and then I'll wreck ****.
Made you look ****.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
I'm honestly surprised at how little Mario I've seen to date. One portrait in the headmaster's office
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
Power Shots.

They exist! But it's not until the 1st Rank Senior Doubles match that you face an opponent that can destroy you with them. And it's not like the game prepares much for them. They tell you to go to the training center but they don't really tell you much about them. I didn't even know my teammate could equip the power shots I earned until after the match, so it's almost like I played a handicap match: (if the video starts from the beginning, skip to 28:41 for the match)

After a disastrous first set, I was able to rebound and come from behind to win. But I felt like I learned more about Power Shots on the fly in that span of 20 minutes than the game had thought me in the 2 hours beforehand.  Learning like that is not fun. The final stats proved it all.

I know the game will get challenging in a good way soon, but it's not making the best impression right now. Specially when I'm button mashing to get through and endless barrage of text bubbles and worthless story.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 12:42:15 AM »
So wait, is this the first time they did a handheld Mario sports game without any connectivity to the version they released on consoles? I mean they basically had a trend there going and it was already done on the GBA with the golf game so what the heck?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
So wait, is this the first time they did a handheld Mario sports game without any connectivity to the version they released on consoles? I mean they basically had a trend there going and it was already done on the GBA with the golf game so I wonder why they didn't do the same here?

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 09:42:24 AM »
(Much like Soren, also working through senior matches now, and trying to come to grips with controls. Still don't know how to do a reliable drop shot.

I like the whole faux-RPG thing well enough, and mostly enjoy the mini-games in the training area and the new gym that opened up. But it still feels like the pacing is off - would reading the manual (if I had one) help?  Maybe it's just a disconnect because I'm not sure about the controls so doing way more mashing than I'd like?

Also feel like I've botched my RPG leveling. Oops.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 10:07:31 AM »
So I'm still plugging away at the game now and then, still mostly enjoying it.  But had one observation.

Does anyone else find that, after beating the Island Open and getting invited to Peach's tournament, Mario comes off as slightly "touched" with his inability to communicate normally - despite the fact that all other characters (tennis players, Toads, Bowser, etc) can talk normally?

It was cute initially, but this game has sooo much talking, and Mario responding or contributing except with one of his little catchphrases really made me question if he had broken one block too many.  Concussions are nothing to laugh at!

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:50 PM »
Mario does come off a bit soft in the head, yes.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 08:34:59 AM »
Also, I can now relate to podcast bitching about Peach in single-player.  She's kicking my rear, and will require some different tactics than I've been using so far.  (Which is a good thing, I think. Frustrating at the moment, but good.)

Oddly, the doubles tournament didn't have that kind of block.