Author Topic: Majora's Mask 3D Announced  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Apollo5

• Addison Webb
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Majora's Mask 3D Announced
« on: November 05, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

Link's second Nintendo 64 adventure hits the 3DS in Spring 2015.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/38931/majoras-mask-3d-announced

Nintendo started off Wednesday's direct with a trailer announcing a Nintendo 3DS remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Iwata added that the game has been streamlined for the platform and updated to improve approachability.

A special edition was announced for Europe, which will include a pin, steelbook case and double-sided poster.

Majora's Mask 3D will be released in spring 2015.

Addison Webb

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Majora's Mask 3D Announced
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 05:16:22 PM »
YUSSSSSS

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »

You finally really did it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »
The only appropriate response to this news:

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:36:56 PM »

You maniacs! You remade it up!

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »

God damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »
Eh, it's easily the worst 3D Zelda so I am not excited about it. I think when it comes out, they will see that the vocal minority calling for the game won't buy the game in big numbers.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
"Updated to improve approachability" sounds like marketer-speak for "dumbed down".  Majora's Mask isn't very accessible.  It's three day system is so restrictive that one of my key memories of playing it involved my parents springing some errand on me out-of-the-blue that needed to be done "right this second" and me leaving the game paused for a few hours because there was no way to save mid-dungeon.  You know how hard it is to explain to a non-gamer about having to get to a save point first?  For this game it was like explaining nuclear fission.  Oh and I suddenly feel really old realizing that this game came out when I was a teenager and parents butting in with stupid chores was a legitimate threat to gaming sessions.

The thing is though that in a way the inaccessibility of the game is why it has such a devoted fanbase.  If you get Majora's Mask you're like in the cool crowd among Zelda fans.  This was the hardcore Zelda with a weird game mechanic that seemed very user unfriendly at first and it had only four dungeons and reused models from Ocarina of Time.  It was easy to dismiss it superficially.  Hell it even came out late in the N64's life, when less people were still playing the system, and it required the expansion pack.  So you had to be still into the N64 in late 2000 and had the expansion pack and not be turned off by the game mechanics to even end up playing it.  Everyone I know who owned an N64 played Ocarina of Time yet aside from my brother who played my copy I don't think I knew anyone outside of the internet that played Majora's Mask.

Due to the game's obscurity it will be good for more people to give it a go, though if Nintendo mucks around with it to much to make it more accessible will it really be offering the same game?  I can't imagine Nintendo making a game like MM today and it even seemed unexpected then.  In a way it would be nice to showcase that, to show future generations that Nintendo can sometimes make an high quality game that is also inaccessible and uncompromising.

One change I would make is the option to make time stand still in the dungeon.  The three day cycle works okay as a time limit when dealing with tasks in the overworld but the possibility of having to redo a whole dungeon from scratch is annoying.  Being able to turn that off and take the dungeons in at one's own pace would be a good change that would make the game more accessible without really altering it too much.  A temp quick save is also a necessity for a handheld game.  Though much of the game involves repeating the same actions again and again.  That isn't accessible no matter how you dice it and I can't think of a way to remove that without completely buggering up the game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
I remember so little of Majora's Mask. I can't wait to spend $40 to own another copy of it. Like Ocarina of Time 3D and The Wind Waker HD, that's (sadly) what it's going to take to inspire me to play it again.

I don't recall the game being that inaccessible. It was weird and it challenged the expectations of people who played Ocarina of Time. There was that song that slowed down time which made accomplishing anything in the three-day time limit pretty easy. I'm not even good at video games and I didn't think it was that bad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 06:53:47 PM »
I've never played the game, and was kind of waiting for this to happen to do so. It doesn't really appeal to me that much, but so many people rave about it I feel like I have to give it a shot.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
This game is really not that restrictive. Three days when you slow down time gives a lot of time to do Snowhead and Southern Swamp in a single cycle. Some casuals could probably even accomplish that. Greta Bay and Ilkana will take two cycles, Ilkana because of all the crap you have to gather and Great Bay if you don't get the Stone Mask. Casuals may take 3 cycles for Great Bay and Ilkana 3 or 4. It is balanced enough that you don't have change anything with the possible exception of saving anywhere you want, but I wouldn't even do that. Not all casuals may latch onto it, but that is why they are adding that "improved approachability".

Anyway, I think this should have been a N3DS release, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm so fucking happy and I hope America also receives a special edition.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline TheXenocide

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:15:33 AM »
How in the world did they make the moon even more unsettling?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 12:16:38 AM »
Yes!YES!
FFFOOOCCCUUUSSS BBBLLLAAASSSTTT!!!
Made you look ****.

Offline NintendoFanboy

• Score: -15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 06:24:44 AM »
I hope we get the special bundle.
Sometimes europe gets stuff the U.S. doesn't Hey nintendo, Got $50 or $60 for the special edition!
in case your wandering.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 08:33:31 AM »
I remember so little about playing Majora's Mask. I look forward to playing it again, almost like new.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »
Great news - the only thing from this Nintendo Direct that caught my attention.  Definitely looking forward to it.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Redfusion55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTF AOGMOPDMDOSAD I WANT THAT 3DS SO BAD ITS MY FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME AND I JUST GOT A SMASH BROS 3DS MFEIOUANFSMODAÖ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 02:19:37 PM »
I feel like they could make the Bomber's Notebook more intuitive. [The bomber's notebook maps out what happens on what days at what times.] I can't quite recall what it was about it that needed improvement, but I remember thinking something about it was lacking, when I played this game a year or so ago.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TheXenocide

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
The only changes I want: 1) I play the song of double time, it gives me the option to jump forward in time to whichever part of whichever day I need to go to instead of having to play it enough times to get there.  2) Let me use the friggin D-Pad for more slots for item switching! D-Pad did nothing in ocarina and it could be VERY useful in this particular game!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
It's about time! Wonder if we will get a New 3DS to commemorate it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
The only changes I want: 1) I play the song of double time, it gives me the option to jump forward in time to whichever part of whichever day I need to go to instead of having to play it enough times to get there.  2) Let me use the friggin D-Pad for more slots for item switching! D-Pad did nothing in ocarina and it could be VERY useful in this particular game!

Yup, I'm sure the touch screen will be a boon for mask switching, but at least hard linking the three (cough four) transformation masks to the d-pad would be great.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Depending on what they do with this game, I might give it another shot. It was tough to get into it on N64 because of the poor structure, but it seemed like an interesting game otherwise.