Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundle  (Read 29581 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Humble Indie Bundle
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:30:25 PM »
Five games, pay what you want.

The lineup is:

Braid
Cortex Command
Machinarium
Osmos
Revenge of the Titans

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Indie Bundle 2 is here
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »
It's a pity they can't offer the console versions of these, or I'd actually pick them up.  I have no use for the PC versions.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:33:17 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »
I already have Osmos (and it's a lot better on the iPad than on PC anyway), but the rest of them sound pretty cool and I've been meaning to try Braid for a while, so I'll probably do this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
Just don't be $15 like it costs on Xbox Live Arcade, the game is vastly over-rated.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
Yeah, the reason I haven't played it yet is it wasn't worth $15 to me, but this bundle lets me pay whatever I want.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
I might try some of those other ones, i'm not much of a PC gamer though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:57 PM »
I wouldn't say that Braid is overrated, just overpriced.  I found it to be beautiful and clever, just not worth $15.  Same with Machinarium; absolutely gorgeous and fun to play (and less frustrating than most point-and-clicks) but not worth the normal $20.  I got both games for $5 and was very pleased with the price.

The only other game out of the bunch I've played is Osmos which I have for my iPod.  A nice little diversion but not much more than that.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
People were saying Braid was the digital game of the year (some delusional people even saying it was the overall GOTY). It's not a terrible game, I just don't think it was as good as many people were saying. As you mentioned, it was also overpriced. Even if it was $10 I would be reluctant to recommend it, the only reason I even have the game on XBLA is because I won it in a contest from Spike (that year they had a contest in honor of the VGA's where you could win a downloadable game for any system; I already had the WiiWare game they were offering, World of Goo, and I didn't have a PlayStation 3 yet so I went with the Xbox Live Arcade choice in Braid).

Offline Shadowxaf

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:25:53 PM »
I liked Braid.  One of the best platforming/puzzle games I've played.  The puzzles had simple solutions, that were nonetheless challenging to solve.  I like puzzles that make me think in different ways instead of just being more complex versions of the same puzzles.

Machinarium has awesome atmosphere and character tied to above average point-n-click adventure gameplay.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:26 AM »
Braid is awesome, but some parts are pretty difficult. At first I didn't see the point of the rewinding, but then it made total sense.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Braid never really held my attention.  It's a clever game and a fine indie release... but I couldn't get excited enough about the game to finish when first released.  Purchased this bundle to try and rectify that, and am now having a hard time (again!) to play through some of the levels just because my interest level is there.

I can totally understand why people like Braid, yet for me it's still an "ok" game at best.  The hype that Braid received was way overdone - although I think the same thing could be said about WiiWare's big release World of Goo.

(On the other hand, Cave Story deserves all the props it gets and more...)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 03:08:39 PM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
But if it wasn't for that hype then hose games would have gone unnoticed.

a necessary overdoing.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:45 AM »
I just got an email from the people running this bundle, telling me that, because it's been such a success, they've decided to give me all the games from the original Humble Indie Bundle in addition to the ones from this one. So I get even more new games, as well as what I'm pretty sure is my fourth copy of World of Goo (and I haven't even bought the iPad version yet).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:09:35 AM by insanolord »

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
Yeah, it was a nice gesture. I bought the bundle last year as well though, so it doesn't do much for me. For those that care, it can all be activated via Steam was well... in case you'd prefer that over just straight-up executable.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:42 PM »
Anybody who donates more than the current average now gets the first set of games.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
All 6 of the original bundle's games have Mac versions, but only half of the Mac versions are available on Steam despite all of the Windows versions being there, which is annoying.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:27 PM »
Anybody who donates more than the current average now gets the first set of games.

Actually, I paid less than the current average and I still got the first bundle (even though I already bought it last year).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure it means anyone buying it at over the average going forward gets it, while everyone who'd bought it up to that point got it regardless of what they paid.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
All 6 of the original bundle's games have Mac versions, but only half of the Mac versions are available on Steam despite all of the Windows versions being there, which is annoying.

What's it really matter? It's easier to just download the Mac file right from the bundle's website and archive it to use whenever you want. The annoyance would be having to load Steam and download all of your games through it. Besides, the availability of the Mac versions will surely increase over time. Steam hasn't been on Mac for very long, after all. What's really impressive is that the bundle provides all of the files necessary to natively run the games in Linux. A few of them even have their source code available. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
It's a pity they can't offer the console versions of these, or I'd actually pick them up.  I have no use for the PC versions.

These are indie devs, most of them aren't even allowed to make console games.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

What's it really matter? It's easier to just download the Mac file right from the bundle's website and archive it to use whenever you want. The annoyance would be having to load Steam and download all of your games through it. Besides, the availability of the Mac versions will surely increase over time. Steam hasn't been on Mac for very long, after all. What's really impressive is that the bundle provides all of the files necessary to natively run the games in Linux. A few of them even have their source code available. :)

It's no big deal, it's just an inconvenience. I do everything through the Steam client because the social features are nice and it's nice to have everything in one place, so it would have saved me the (incredibly minor) trouble of putting the files in the right place and creating a shortcut for the games in Steam.

J.P. Corbran

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 07:31:58 PM »
What's it really matter? It's easier to just download the Mac file right from the bundle's website and archive it to use whenever you want. The annoyance would be having to load Steam and download all of your games through it.

No joke--I still have the original Humble Indie Bundle sitting in a folder on my desktop.  It's been there for over a year.  I haven't touched it.

It's just easier to have the games available through Steam.  I don't have to think about storing the games anywhere else.  I always know where they'll be whenver I finally get around to playing them.  :)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 07:55:18 PM »
It's a pity they can't offer the console versions of these, or I'd actually pick them up.  I have no use for the PC versions

Only two of the five games even have console versions, and there is no way that any kind of bundle like this will EVER fly on a console, because of the licensing fees and whatnot.

I already have Osmos (and it's a lot better on the iPad than on PC anyway)

What?

I'm thinking about this bundle just so I can finally get the full version of Cortex Command legally without paying the ridiculous $20 they want for a pre-alpha product.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
If Nintendo was truly interested in pushing their online services forward, they'd partner with Valve.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report