Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 266098 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #350 on: January 27, 2011, 01:38:53 AM »
accelerometers inside too.

edit: 5" display confirmed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:41:21 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #351 on: January 27, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »
Screens look great, but "NGP" is a terrible name.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 27, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:45:43 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 27, 2011, 01:44:54 AM »
I'm thinking it's going to cost $400.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 27, 2011, 01:47:22 AM »
I forgot to mention PS3 level graphics

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #355 on: January 27, 2011, 01:48:26 AM »
Really, NGP? Is Sony trying to come up with the worst and most generic game system name ever? The system itself looks OK, but I am not paying what I expect them to charge for it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 27, 2011, 01:50:34 AM »
Rear Touch Pad is multi touch and is the exact same size and placement as the screen.

So where you touch on the pad directly translates to where you would touch on the screen.
They're both 5 inches.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2011, 01:51:33 AM »
The battery life on this thing CAN'T be good. I'm stil waiting on that. However, the 3DS did set the bar kind of low.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 27, 2011, 01:53:03 AM »
Front screen is also multi-touch, so you can finger the front and poker in the back ;) :P:

and another video, rear pad gameplay this time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LOdPwVJhMo&feature=player_embedded#
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:54:54 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 27, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
The PSP name might have been soiled, but what the hell? NGP. Generic and pretentious! Are they going to throw every feature they can think of short of the kitchen sink to sell this?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #360 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:56 AM »
^ I hope they do. Sony please include even the kitchen sink.

$499.99

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:35 AM »
That looks very large. Like 3DS, price and battery life are looking like the big hurdles here. I'm sure at some point I'll get one, but I can wait.

Offline Shadowxaf

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 27, 2011, 01:56:53 AM »
I couldn't ask more from the hardware, but will it be any more open to smaller/independent game designers? Or let anyone make a game like with the Android and iPhone? (or better yet, just put android on it too :-)

Of course, by the time this comes out, the next iPhone and iPod touch with similar specifications will be out
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:59:11 AM by Shadowxaf »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 27, 2011, 01:57:53 AM »
NGP has a feature called LiveArena that is sorta like SpotPass in that it lets you know what people ion your area are playing.

edit: Little Deviants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-9FTXXcZr0&feature=player_embedded#

A game where you control a ball. when you push on the rear touchpad you actually push up through the floor in the game. Looks interesting, but need a better video feed, it's kinda low quality.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:59:46 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #364 on: January 27, 2011, 01:58:03 AM »
Stalker mode is a go.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #365 on: January 27, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
I couldn't ask more from the hardware, but will it be any more open to smaller/independent game designers? Or let anyone make a game like with the Android and iPhone?

Of course, by the time this comes out, the next iPhone and iPod touch with similar specifications will be out

Sony earlier announced a "platform" for android devices.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 27, 2011, 02:03:59 AM »
I find it funny that everything Sony is presenting on screen is in English, but everything they say is in Japanese.

Should have posted this earlier, but here is a live feed for anyone that wants to watch:
Live Feed - Kotaku Japan

Offline Shadowxaf

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 27, 2011, 02:04:24 AM »
I couldn't ask more from the hardware, but will it be any more open to smaller/independent game designers? Or let anyone make a game like with the Android and iPhone?

Sony earlier announced a "platform" for android devices.

But I assume this will be more closed than an android phone.  Part of the reason I didn't get the PSP (besides its awful screen), is that most of the games were just remade PS2 games sold for $40.  I'd rather have a lot of smaller/indie titles than a couple of high profile games.... Nintendo games would be good, too :-P

Offline Shadowxaf

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 27, 2011, 02:07:57 AM »
7:08AM NGP and PlayStation Suite. "Content that operates on smartphones will operate on PlayStation.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 27, 2011, 02:09:10 AM »
If it works on a Smart Phone, it seems like they are saying it will also work on NGP.

I assume that to mean all sorts of games, apps and widgets.
Most likely everything that S.E.X. Play uses will also work on NGP.

edit: Looks like games are Backwards compatible though downloading.

Capcom just loaded up MHP3rd on the NGP.

Sega has Yakuza 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1J1iFGxcs&feature=player_embedded

Hideo Kojima is showing off MGS4 (no new game announcements)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:28:44 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and it's called Next Generation Portable (NGP)
« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2011, 02:33:02 AM »
Nice, another likely-to-be prohibitively expensive handheld for Japan to focus AAA development on instead of the PS3, likely with battery life that hardly makes it a "portable" system at all.  And it features the most unique name ever given to a gaming system: "Next Generation Handheld."  Sheesh, was Sony even trying with that name?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2011, 02:36:34 AM »
"It is Home Console that you can carry in your pocket." - that is what they just said on the stream.

isn't that the same problem that PSP had? portable PS2?
Glad to see Sony learned something. Now go ahead and announce that $499.99 price tag and get it over with.

edit: a summarized statement:
The goal is to start a game on your PS3 and then continue that same game on your NGP. The same game.... PS3 games on the go.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:39:21 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2011, 02:46:36 AM »
Quote from: Sony PR
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES ITS NEXT GENERATION PORTABLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM
Ultimate Portable Entertainment System Makes Its Debut This Year,
Further Expanding the PlayStation® Business in the Portable Gaming Market

Tokyo, January 27, 2011 - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced its next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP), which delivers the ultimate portable entertainment experience. NGP will make its debut at the end of the year 2011.

NGP is designed to offer unparalleled interactive entertainment that is only possible on PlayStation®. This new system offers a revolutionary combination of rich gaming and social connectivity within a real world context, made possible by leveraging SCE's experience from both PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) and PlayStation®3 (PS3®) entertainment systems.

Deep and immersive gaming is at the core of PlayStation's DNA, and NGP is the latest embodiment of this vision. By having both Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity, together with various applications, NGP will enable infinite possibilities for users to "encounter," "connect," "discover," "share" and "play" with friends wherever they are. Within the device are a range of features that provide a genuinely cutting-edge, next generation ultimate portable entertainment experience.

* l Stunning OLED and Revolutionary User Interface
NGP incorporates a beautiful multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display. A high-performance CPU / GPU combined with OLED enables rich, visually striking graphics never seen before on a portable entertainment system, for both games and other digital entertainment content. The new system also incorporates a unique multi-touch pad on the rear, and together with the front touch display, NGP offers new game play allowing users to interact directly with games in three dimension-like motion, through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" moves of the fingers.

* l Super Oval Design and Dual Analog Sticks
While succeeding the basic design philosophy of PSP, NGP adopts the Super Oval Design form factor, created to fit comfortably in users' hands. For the first time, a portable entertainment system will feature two analog sticks, which enable a wider range of game genres to be brought into the portable experience.

* l LiveAreaTM
Every game title for NGP will be provided with a space called "LiveAreaTM" where users can share the fun and excitement with other players. Users will have access to the latest information of games provided from SCE and 3rd party developers and publishers through PlayStation®Network. Additionally, NGP users will be able to view an "Activity" log that is constantly updated with accomplishments from users who are playing the same game, which in turn can trigger active real-time communication among users.

* l Near
SCE will also provide location-based services on NGP as part of the basic features utilizing PlayStation Network. The new application called "Near," developed specifically for this service and the network, will be pre-installed in the system to let users find out what their friends in the vicinity are playing now or what they were playing recently. Users can meet their friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing their game information across different dimensions of time and distance.

* l New Game Medium
NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles. Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games.

NGP will also come equipped with two cameras on its front and rear, as well as three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass, all of which are designed to enable users to enjoy the world of entertainment that is linked with real life experiences.

PlayStation®Suite (PS Suite), announced today, will also closely coordinate with NGP. The newly developed and released game content for AndroidTM based portable devices can also be enjoyed on NGP. As a result, users will have access to not only the most leading-edge content, but also some of the more casual experiences that typify the mobile market place.

SCE will vigorously promote NGP towards the launch as the next generation portable entertainment platform and deploy various measures to further expand the portable gaming market.

Next Generation Portable Entertainment System (codename: NGP)

CPU
ARM® CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)

GPU
SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras
Front camera, Rear camera

Sound
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone

Sensors
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches
PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications
Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 02:56:39 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:09 AM »
"It is Home Console that you can carry in your pocket." - that is what they just said on the stream.

isn't that the same problem that PSP had? portable PS2?
Glad to see Sony learned something. Now go ahead and announce that $499.99 price tag and get it over with.

edit: a summarized statement:
The goal is to start a game on your PS3 and then continue that same game on your NGP. The same game.... PS3 games on the go.

It is the exact same problem that Sony had with the PSP.  In their defense, though, Nintendo hasn't really shown an inclination so far to make actual portable games for the 3DS either.  I'd hardly call Ocarina of Time or Star Fox 64 "portable games".  Then you have Capcom making a 3DS Resident Evil game that looks like a full console experience.  And if this is merely a "home console you can carry in your pocket", why would I buy it?  I already have an awesome home console in my PS3 at home, hooked up to a nice-sized TV that a little handheld screen and speakers couldn't hope to surpass.  I don't need to play my nice console games on inferior hardware in less than ideal playing conditions when I'm away from home.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 27, 2011, 02:55:55 AM »
If this had a TV out, then there would be no more reason to own a PS3 is more like it.