Author Topic: Nintendo Wi-Fi Games Get Offline Reprints  (Read 4974 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wi-Fi Games Get Offline Reprints
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:56:38 AM »

New copies of NWC-enabled games appear to be getting re-releases without the logo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/37284/nintendo-wi-fi-games-get-offline-reprints

At least one Wii game has been confirmed for a new print run that omits the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection logo from the packaging.

We have received a photo of a new copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl without the logo. The case also has an altered ESRB rating logo without the "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" statement that would usually come below it.

With the closure of NWC imminent, it seems Nintendo want to make it clear that these last-gen titles will no longer have online functionality. It is currently unknown just how many other titles for Wii and Nintendo DS are still in production sans the online connectivity information.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wi-Fi Games Get Offline Reprints
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »
I wonder if the menus are going to be altered to remove the online options....
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pureval

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
I wonder if 10 years from now this will be considered a rare label variation with a high value.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
I'd love to see a price cut attached to this loss in functionality. Maybe that would get me to snag a few more Wii games. I pulled out Rhythm Heaven Fever last night (not that it applies to the online topic) and I'm still impressed with how fun that game is.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »
Super Smash Bros. Brawl never had online to begin with. (ZING!)

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 10:09:17 AM »
I wonder if 10 years from now this will be considered a rare label variation with a high value.

I'm not sure about 10 years, but it'll definitely be considered a rarity eventually.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
I wonder if the menus are going to be altered to remove the online options....
There's no reason to assume they'd bother, since as long at it's not being falsely advertised on the box, it doesn't matter if still appears functionless in the game.

Offline tanooki

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • My Video Game Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
I look forward to seeing it, but I think a decade is overshooting it for resellers and collectors to sink their mitts into this.  It is a variant and people will pay for it, more for the trolls who use the VGA service so they can try and flip near perfection in a sealed box for hundreds if not more.

Offline Mythtendo

• My rims never spin, to the contrary, you'll find that they're quite stationary
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 04:41:19 PM »
To be fair, I didn't have any problems with Brawl online for the first month or so. It was only after 6 weeks or so that it got laggy as hell

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
It is a variant and people will pay for it, more for the trolls who use the VGA service so they can try and flip near perfection in a sealed box for hundreds if not more.

That's as ignorant as saying only little kids play Nintendo systems. Most current generation graded games top out around $200-$250 unless they're a score 100 of the absolute most popular series. Considering the original cost of the game and the cost of the service, plus listing fees and shipping, it doesn't approach "hundreds if not more" of profit. And, the overwhelming interest is in first print / black label versions. A variant could even be worth less than the first print, or it could be worth about the same.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 08:26:54 PM »
What's funny about this to me is that every retailer in my area is struggling to get rid of their current stock of these games…what makes Nintendo think they'll want to repurchase these games just because they have updated labeling.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
I can't speak for your retailers, but Mario Kart Wii is still one of the better selling games, all things considered.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Do they still sell the normal Wii or is it just Wii Mini now? Did the copy of Mario Kart Wii that came with the Wii Mini still have the Wi-Fi logo? They probably should have removed it then...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 11:10:26 PM »
I don't know if they're still shipping regular Wii, but I've seen them for sale.

Wii Mini Mario Kart Wii has the WiFi Logo.