Author Topic: Am I the only one who has the blues over Konami?  (Read 11731 times)

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
Am I the only one who has the blues over Konami?
« on: April 29, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
The recent Konami meltdown seriously has me bummed super hardcore. the signs have been there for like... the past 5 years. actually, I did a write-up for my tumblr. allow me to Copy-pasta.

"okay, so in my half-awake stupor, I have to comment on this one, about how unsurprising it is, and how it plays into Konami’s current plans as a whole.

Guillermo Del Toro has now had his second shot at making a video game shot down in horrible flames thanks to this. I’m personally not a horror fan, but i have so many friends who are, and one in particular who I grew up with and is very loyal to this franchise, and PT was the most excited he had been for just… a video game in general in a looooooooooong ass time.

Silent Hills’ canning is just another step in Konami’s systematic downsizing of their video game development division. I actually noticed this around the time they liquidated all assets of Hudson soft until all that was left was an office of about 12 people making ‘social’ games. At some point, the top brass in that company lost ALL their love for any video game development. I think the only reason they stayed the course so long was because they had a guy who’s name alone could sell games under their employ.

I’m actually happy for Kojima. he will be laughing ALL the way to the bank. there are companies who will pay him the big bucks to do projects for him. he could even sucker his fans into giving him millions for a dream project via Kickstarter if he really wanted to! He’s been wanting to do something that isn’t Metal Gear for a long time. I’m personally hoping for a spiritual sucessor to Snatcher/Policenauts where the protagonist looks like Dolph Lundgren and it has a plot that parallels inception or something.

And… that just leave Konami. Konami, the little Jukebox refurbishing and rental place. Konami the pioneers of the early arcades with stuff like Vangaurd and Juno First. Konami, who defined some of the platforms their games found their home on (MSX, NES, PC Engine, Genesis, SNES, Sharp X68000, PSX) Konami who took their ****-off castlevania and Metal Gear money and dumped it upon Kazuki Takahashi so they could start a cardboard merch and anime division. Konami the health and fitness/Real Estate agency… Console gaming dried up hardcore in japan. Nobody ever wants to play a console game there and wants their content on their flip/smart phone. anything that isn’t a woeful attempt to cash in on western audiences or a mobile game must be PURGED for profit.

Pro Evolution Soccer still exists because Europeans eat it up. Metal Gear still exists because americans eat it up. Everything else needs to have more of that western appeal if it’s gonna live on a console! Bomberman Act Zero! (made to appeal to edgelords or something I don’t even) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow! (developed by a spanish developer, made to be more generically… Lord of the Rings? ) that stupid ass game where you’d lose your limbs! in this push for west or bust (which they’ve clearly seen the writing on the wall as ‘bust’), they have forgotten some of the most important things about Konami games that they HAD up until about… 2008? 2009?

Konami IP all OOZE personality. It’s not just that they are mechanically solid games or that the graphics are nice or that soundtracks are rockin’ (All those things help!) It’s that Konami games all just have something about them that is so absurdly goofy and lovable. it’s references to other game sor just something so out of place or distinctly video game-y. sometimes these sorts of things were turned up to eleven, such as in the Ganbare Goemon series or Parodius. sometimes it was a lil’ more toned down things like Symphony of the Night having weapons that shot out gradius shields or finding a hot dog in a wall and the game trying to explain how in the hell Dracula’s castle in the late 1700′s just shat out a frankfurter that a vampire is stuffing down his throat for sustenance, or the konami code blowing you the **** up in Gradius 3, or Gillian Seed calling a sex hotline in Snatcher and the game actually having this whole very awkward exchange. Almost every example of a Konami game I like has an example of something silly like this happening.

Hell, I remember the first time I opened up a rise of destiny booster for Yugioh (kinda disappointing set, but I remember the Creator at least being interesting to play with for the time, even if it’s after the great boon of chaos.) and I saw

This staring me in the face. (Yugioh has a TON of konami game references in their cards. there’s a huge set of Gradius/Life Force bosses, Getsu Fuuma and Ryu Koki from Getsu Fu-maden, a set of Goemon character cards, a card based on Nanobreaker, Koitsu from Parodius…)

I’ve wanted a new Parodius/Wai Wai game ever since Konami bought hudson back in like… 2006, was it? (C’mon, bonk flying through space spinning around in the air to shoot rock projectiles with dinosaur options would be pretty hilarious.) but… it can’t be helped. Konami is looking  to double down on the health and fitness centers since they’re looking to put them out in america. I think the last 3DS game they put out was Yugioh Zexal; Duel Carnival as a digital release only for eShop. I can’t think of anything else they put on the platform other than Lords of SHadow: Mirror of Fate and the 3D Classics remake of Twinbee… which strangely enough is the first time they ever released Twinbee outside of Japan.

Anyhow, I’m sad to see them shrivel into nothingness like this, but… I suppose not everything can go on forever."

Yyyyeah... Jim Sterling did a great episode of Jimquisition on the subject, and I also mailed RFN on it, so maybe they'll chat it up, but... I just feel really down from the recent turn of events. Konami has made SO many important games, and it's really, REALLY hard to watch this all unfold as they double down on their health and fitness business.

I suppose if they do indeed bow out, their legacy will live on in many forms of media from the various VRC6 compositions that are out there on youtube to the myriad games that try to emulate what it is that Konami games do so well.

Hell, La Mulana in it's original, non-remade form was basically a giant Konami MSX game throwback, complete with a Parodius and Snatcher Mini-game, a whole area based on Knightmare II: The Maze of Gallious, and the software for the MSX laptop you have in that game being populated almost entirely by Konami games. The Software that increased your whip's attack power was Vampire Killer (The MSX Version of Castlevania)!

Maybe Nintendo can get the rights to Twinbee's likeness so we can put Capsule-J back into Kirby games? I dunno... this sucks, even if they stopped giving a **** 5+ years ago. :C
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 07:17:34 PM by ClexYoshi »

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one who has the blues over Konami?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:50:37 PM »
tl;dr

But, I'm super bummed about Silent Hills getting canceled. That's terrible. P.T. was one of the coolest, and legitimately scary games I've ever played.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:34 PM »
I guess I've never really played much of anything of theirs. No Metal Gear, no Silent Hill, barely any Contra, some Castlevania, but really nothing I'm that upset to lose. It's sad in the sense that it's an extremely historically important company shutting down, but it doesn't really affect me personally.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:02:07 PM »
From a historical point of view the scary part is what's going to happen to the IP.  Oh sure they'll make mobile junk and pachinko machines with the Castlevania IP but what about all the old games?  If Konami isn't interested in consoles will their vast library of classic titles be available in any sort of VC like service?  Or will this new non-gaming Konami effectively sit on a vast chunk of gaming history (and sit on Hudson's games as well)?  Or even worse the only modern releases of the old games get limited to shitty cellphone ports with bad touchscreen controls.  That's a scary possibility.  If they're going to leave the industry I want them to sell off the IP to a real gaming company on the way out.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »
I was a bit sad when this started long ago, but I'm over it now. And it's for the reason Ian Sane mentioned; they have some good IP, especially since they have Hudson. But it looks like it may all disappear with them.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:21:16 PM »
Sony needs to step in and buy and complete Silent Hills. Sony has been the real home for Konami for a long time.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »
Let's see... Sony would get Silent Hill and Love Plus (that'd move some Vitas, let me tell ya), Nintendo could grab the Hudson properties and Castlevania, and we can give Metal Gear Solid to... Aniplex.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 10:39:58 PM »
I really can't stand Jim Sterling (I find him to be an obnoxious, whiny prick who gets off on being vaguely elitist), but his latest Jimquisition on this situation sums it all up pretty well. Frankly, from how he describes his previous experiences dealing with Konami, it lends some weight to the accusations that this business with Kojima is personal and that the Konami leadership may just despise the games division.

There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 10:55:03 PM »
I'm personally more sad for Hudson. :(

Also, P.T. was the first (only?) game on the PS4 that really impressed me.

Contra
Castlevania
Silent Hills
Metal Gear
Twin Bee
Axelay...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:59:12 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »
From a historical point of view the scary part is what's going to happen to the IP.  Oh sure they'll make mobile junk and pachinko machines with the Castlevania IP but what about all the old games?  If Konami isn't interested in consoles will their vast library of classic titles be available in any sort of VC like service?  Or will this new non-gaming Konami effectively sit on a vast chunk of gaming history (and sit on Hudson's games as well)?  Or even worse the only modern releases of the old games get limited to shitty cellphone ports with bad touchscreen controls.  That's a scary possibility.  If they're going to leave the industry I want them to sell off the IP to a real gaming company on the way out.

It really is. They haven't done anything with things like their parodius characters or the Mystical Ninja stuff since they put them on Yugioh Cards. one of the most hilarious and unique video game series based on a characature of a Japanese Folk hero's last video game appearance was as a trading card in a Yugioh game! @___@;;

There's so many IP I like. I think Bio Miracle Upa is a really fun game, or Boku Dracula-Kun, or Rocket Knight (Which I'm glad Freedom Planet pulls a mechanic from that series, lemme tell ya!) and all the delicious shmups! or Zone of the Enders, or Sunset Riders! I used to play that all the time with my friends! there was a point from like... 2005 to 2009 or so where it was a REALLY good time to be a Konami fan with stuff like Order of Ecclesia, the Wiiware Rebirth games, Contra 4, Hard Corps, Rocket Knight for PSN/XBLA... hell, even that Rush n' Attack Remake was pretty neat, if a bit quirky! I was really hoping also that with the hudson merger that we would have gotten a sequel to Dream Mix TV that could actually get localized, but... They just really stopped giving a ****, and it really does make me sad, even if I should have stopped mourning years ago.

Really, them milking out castlevania for okislot and mobile tat is the least of our worries. you know what would ACTUALLY work really well for a cell phone game but will never happen now? A Snatcher/Policenauts remaster. Seriously, Snatcher is one of the most sought after games on the second hand market I can think of off the top of my head next to Flintstones: Surprise on Dinosaur Peak, Earthbound, and Shantae.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 11:14:37 PM »
Looking forward to Alloy Apparatus and The Muted Uprising of Earth's Surface.

But let's not forget Fortificania and Guerrilla.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
Silent Hills never looked promising. SH series (just like the rest of Konami) has been dead for a long longer than that.

It was a collaboration between a bad cinema director, a good cinema director and a bad actor in a **** show based on **** comic book to revive a series that they obviously never played a single second of.

While i occasionally enjoyed what i played of MGS series, it went so far up it's own ass, i am completely fine with it dying.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
The Silent Hill series had one good game, and that was Shattered Memories.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 12:12:58 AM »
The Silent Hill series had one good game, and that was Shattered Memories.

I would strongly disagree with that, as I imagine would most Silent Hill fans. IMO, Silent Hill 2 is a bad game, but a good experience; Silent Hills 3-4 are good games; and Homecoming & Downpour are immensely underrated. As for Shattered Memories, I'd put that under the same "bad game, but good experience" category I have for SH 2. Well, maybe worse than that. Very little actually ****ing happens in Shattered Memories, so the only parts of the game where there's any tension are also the most annoying parts (the chase sequences).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:15:00 AM by broodwars »

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:42:52 AM »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:08:27 AM by Triforce Hermit »
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
azeke, you're dead to me.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 06:01:47 PM »

Ok, I got a laugh at that.

Then I realized they own Bomberman  :-\

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »

and Bonk
and Star Soldier
and Master Higgins
and Milon
and Bloody Roar
and Calling (A surprisingly good Wii survival horror game)

... Mostly Bomberman, though. :C

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »
Silent Hills never looked promising. SH series (just like the rest of Konami) has been dead for a long longer than that.

It was a collaboration between a bad cinema director, a good cinema director and a bad actor in a **** show based on **** comic book to revive a series that they obviously never played a single second of.

While i occasionally enjoyed what i played of MGS series, it went so far up it's own ass, i am completely fine with it dying.

did you play the demo? I played the demo and it is the most impressive thing I've seen in a long time. It wasn't really like any other survival horror games, it was more like what would happen if we re-invented horror games now that we can make them a good experience.

Nintendo, if you want to spend money well. Now would be the time to buy some IP.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
It wasn't really like any other survival horror games, it was more like what would happen if we re-invented horror games now that we can make them a good experience.
You just basically said: "this demo has nothing to do with Silent Hill series, but that is fine because i don't like that series, and i am glad that they slapped it's name on unrelated product".
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
It wasn't really like any other survival horror games, it was more like what would happen if we re-invented horror games now that we can make them a good experience.
You just basically said: "this demo has nothing to do with Silent Hill series, but that is fine because i don't like that series, and i am glad that they slapped it's name on unrelated product".

Well, P.T. was a proof of concept for the kind of game Silent Hills could have been, but it wasn't a Silent Hill demo. Still, wouldn't be the first time Silent Hill had appropriated an unrelated game and renamed it. Team Silent did exactly that with SH 4: The Room and it turned out well enough.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
yeah, I never cared at all about Silent Hill. If it is enjoyable, than that isn't something that would matter to me. Every episode of the Twighlight Zone is different, they still have the same branding. The point is if it is good and that is all that important. Silent Hill = Scary Game. That is all I need to know about the branding. I legitamately like the resident evil games, but they could upturn the tables and reboot everything for all I care. Nintendo does this with Zelda practically every other game. Its still Zelda. I enjoyed the **** out of the demo, it was one of those "I just saw super mario bros for the first time" type experiences. I rarely get those type of experiences.

also it still has some silent hill feel to it, im not totally unfamiliar with the series, im just not attached to 32 bit gameplay conventions. I kinda liked the feeling of walking through a fucking real hallway and sinking deeper into terrifying purgatory, and solving bizarre puzzles. In some ways it reminded me of metroid(both 2d and 3d) in the sense that nobody was telling you how to solve this, and you just had to try pioneering all these weird tests to move forward.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 12:51:33 PM »
Came in to echo the previous statements.  Not sad about Konami.  Sad about Hudson.

While I'm not one to think Nintendo should go around buying up studios and properties, I'd fully support a purchase of the Bomberman franchise.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 01:16:46 PM »
What would be funny to me is if another company made a deal to work on the horror game, contracting out Guillermo Del Toro & Hideo Kojima, and them releasing the game simply as "P.T.", although I suppose Konami may even retain the right to that as a name as well.

Offline lolmonade

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »

and Bonk
and Star Soldier
and Master Higgins
and Milon
and Bloody Roar
and Calling (A surprisingly good Wii survival horror game)

... Mostly Bomberman, though. :C

Bloody Roar...I haven't played one of those in forever.  Always had some good fun with them when I was younger though.

Bomberman is one of my first multiplayer gaming memories on the SNES, so while I think they're legimiately good games anyway, it holds a special place in my heart for that reason.  I was really hoping they'd figure out a way to include him in one of the Smash Bros character releases, although I suppose that's probably not out of the question. 

But I'm guessing it more or less kills the chance of the N64 games being released on Virtual Console, which also makes me sad.  Had a lot of fun in college with drunken multiplayer on those.