Author Topic: Official NFL Discussion: If You Only Count The Legal Points, KC Wins  (Read 366027 times)

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Whether or not there ends up being a season this year, the Draft is coming up Thursday.

Right now I'm really hoping A.J. Green falls to my Browns at #6, as a legit number one receiver is one of the few real holes in their lineup. Having somebody like that out there gives Robiskie or Massaquoi on the other side a lot more room, and frees up Josh Cribbs to play in the slot, which would be ideal for him. With those receivers and Peyton Hillis at running back, whenever they start playing again should be a breakout season for Colt McCoy.

Anyone else have high hopes going into this?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 09:15:22 AM by Shaymin »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 (Lack of) NFL Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:55:56 AM »
Things are getting really interesting. A judge yesterday ruled in favor of the players, and because of that, as of this morning, there is no lockout. The league has already appealed the decision, and it will be at least a few weeks before they get a ruling from the 8th circuit, but right now the pressing matter is whether the league will convince the judge to issue an injunction preventing the lockout from ending until the next ruling.

From the sounds of it, players will be allowed into the team facilities today, but the teams will most likely not allow them into the workout rooms or meet with the coaches for fear of liability. This is a big win for the players, though, as it gives them more leverage in the negotiations over the new CBA, which is the endgame of all this.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 06:23:21 PM »
So does the Falcon's front office think that they really are just one player away from being a dynasty, or do they just enjoy taking it in the rear without any lube?

Overall though, quite an interesting day. I'm delighted that Jordan didn't go to New England (no conflict of interest for me there!), and as someone who lives in the Bay Area I'm amused at the gnashing of teeth in SF at the loss of Peterson and Jones. Also, is it sad that I'm not surprised at how the Bears managed to screw the pooch so publicly?

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
I don't know what the Falcons front office was thinking, but I love them for it. I was not sold on Julio Jones, and I'd definitely take the 5 picks the Browns got for him instead.

J.P. Corbran

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:37 PM »
For Greg

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
It's definitely interesting to see just how committed they are to improving their defense. Considering how porous they are on that side of the ball, I guess I can't fault them too much. Of course, they're just as bad on offense, so...

Ah well, no one ever said fixing Buffalo wouldn't take a few years!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
I'm very happy with the picks the Browns got from the Falcons, and that's without the big one, the 1st round next year. Both Little and Marecic have huge upside and excellent intangibles, and that's exactly the type of player you want to draft. I'm loving year two of Mike Holmgren.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
There definitely seems to be some improvement in Cleveland, that's for sure. And by the same token, Atlanta might soon be in decline; I still can't believe they put all their eggs in one basket...

In more local (for me) news, the Raiders have shockingly regressed from their last draft class, and gone with speed for most of their picks. They got five of the ten fastest 40 times. Al Davis seems to cling to his philosophy that it doesn't matter if a player is any good, as long as he's able to outrun the bottles thrown at him by pissed off fans!

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
Alright, so hopefully now that all that nonsense about splitting a couple of billion is out of the way, I'm once again psyched about football, notwithstanding that the product is probably going to be really crappy this year. 

And while it's only been one day of FA, I'm unsurprised to see that the Bay Area teams are already trending downwards. Whoever thought Alex Smith should get $5 million for one year is either really high, or just desperate to reach the new salary floor. And from the rumblings about Gore, it sounds like some of his teammates are going to try to cash out too... And the Raiders will probably see any FA with an ounce of talent flee the sinking ship.  Looking forward to the new season!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
The Seahawks have parted ways with Matt Hasselbeck.  His career is more or less done so I'm not upset about it though it will be weird seeing him on a different team.  Last season we made the playoffs on a losing record, due entirely to the technicality that each division winner is included.  Then we had the miracle playoff victory against the Saints that pretty much made the whole season worth watching by itself.  While the NFC West still looks pretty bad, I don't know if we can get in on the "least sucky team" ticket again.  It went down to the last game of the season to beat St. Louis for the division and they have Sam Bradford, who I think is only going to get better.  The Seahawks in comparison don't seem like a clearly better team than last year.  At best, they'll probably do no worse.  Right now I think the Rams are the future of the division.

But even if the Seahawks play like the Suh-hucks I enjoy the NFL so much that it doesn't really matter.  I usually spend all Sunday watching games regardless of the teams involved.  I'm just thrilled the lockout didn't cost us any games.

Though I got to say lol to the Niners keeping Alex Smith.  All last season, all I hear (and observe) is how much this guy sucks and how the fans hate him...  and the 49ers decides to resign him?!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:01:05 PM by Ian Sane »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 08:43:12 PM »
Eagles are pretty solid this year.They signed 8 of their 11 draft picks so there is lots of young blood on the team and there is at least one rookie in each part of the team. They got filled out more of their Wide Receiver position so they have more weapons and can spread the ball around. It isn't just the Jason Avant and  DeSean Jaskson show.

Can we get a title change to the thread?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:48:35 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
I'm on my phone right now, I'll change it when I get back to my computer.

My Browns haven't done much so far, but they did release Jake Delhomme, who was terrible last year.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 10:28:20 PM »
Jake Delhomme's been terrible for the last 30 months. Why you signed him in the first place...

I'd say my team was trying to shoot itself in the foot, but it turns out they're trying to sign Plaxico Burress so that part's covered.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:52:57 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
They wanted a veteran to mentor Colt McCoy, but it turns out McCoy is already better than Delhomme. I'd imagine he was getting way more money than a backup deserves and they released him to free up cap room to spend on people that don't suck.

J.P. Corbran

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:24:19 AM »
Though I got to say lol to the Niners keeping Alex Smith.  All last season, all I hear (and observe) is how much this guy sucks and how the fans hate him...  and the 49ers decides to resign him?!

It's been all but set in stone for months now that they'd re-sign him. One of Harbaugh's first acts as head coach was to say that Smith was coming back. And considering how weak the QB market is right now, I can understand why. Plus, it just feeds the "Harbaugh's going to gimp his team this year in order to win the Luck sweepstakes" conspiracy.

So I'm not surprised at the re-signing. I am stunned at the price paid. Would any other team pay Smith more than a million for this year? I somehow doubt it... Of course, the Texans just shoved a two-year, $5.5 million deal at Leinart, so I stand by my earlier "lotta teams desperate to reach the new floor" statement.

And regarding Hasselbeck, I'm amazed the Titans picked him up for three years. That wild-card game was amazing, but it was definitely not the Hasselbeck who's shown up for the past two or three years. I can only assume they're bringing him on as a mentor for Locker, since Collins up and retired. Although as someone who's followed Pac-10 games, I think Locker needs not so much a Hasselbeck as a Mr. Miyagi if he's going to succeed in the NFL. And Hasselbeck certainly will never justify his $7 million/year price tag...

I'd imagine he was getting way more money than a backup deserves and they released him to free up cap room to spend on people that don't suck.

Like who? The Browns were already sitting on about $20 million in cap space. Unless they're trying to enter the Nnamdi Sweepstakes (lol), I can't see them needing more cap room. In fact, your GM's already declared the Browns aren't going to be major FA players; most of that cash is going to go to their current "young players."

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:48:31 AM »
Well then I have no idea. Still, I have no problem with them cutting Delhomme. He started the Browns game I went to last year and he was almost single-handedly responsible for them losing.

Though if they've got that kind of cap room, they might as well go out and sign some free agents. They have to play the Steelers and Ravens twice a year, and if they're going to stand a chance in that division they need all the help they can get.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2011 NFL Discussion: Lockout, schmockout!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:53 AM »
I'm actually more excited about this year because players should be more rested but less trained.  Should make for some interesting moments.  Plus on average all the players are getting paid more and there is less disparity from what I heard.

I'm not to surprised about Hasselbeck.  I'm just still disappointed that the Titans didn't go outside of there organization for a new Head coach.  Fisher had his moments but that whole team needed fresh coaching perspective.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
The first few games should be interesting for the blooper reels because the players are gonna be extremely rusty after 5+ months of no practice or training. The rookies will be even worse than normal. As for salary, most players should be getting paid less, not more. Athletes in general are over-paid (the NBA is worse than the NFL though).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 02:59:26 PM »
The first few games should be interesting for the blooper reels because the players are gonna be extremely rusty after 5+ months of no practice or training. The rookies will be even worse than normal. As for salary, most players should be getting paid less, not more. Athletes in general are over-paid (the NBA is worse than the NFL though).
From what I heard the players making the most will get a pay decrease but, the player making the equivalent of Minimum Wage for the NFL will get a boost.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
From what I heard the players making the most will get a pay decrease but, the player making the equivalent of Minimum Wage for the NFL will get a boost.

Long-term maybe, but in the short run it just seems like a handful of players are getting paid faaaaar more than they're worth. I think it'll even out in the long run though, and it makes me happy that first-round draftees will no longer get more money than most proven veterans.

On a different note, I was initially impressed by the activity level the Panthers are showing, but then I realized they're mostly just bringing back their own players and acquiring merely-decent free agents. The definition of insanity... Meanwhile, Washington continues to overpay for has-beens, and all is right with the world...

On an unrelated note, insanolord will be "pleased" to note that the Browns are the only team who haven't bothered to pick up anyone yet. Not even their own FAs. But the only guy they've lost so far is Trusnik.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »
So the Cardinals picked up Kevin Kolb.  If Kolb is any good that could put Arizona ahead of the rest of the NFC West.  This is a team that made it to the Superbowl a few years ago and only seemed to turn to crap entirely because their quarterback retired.  They have Larry Fitzgerald who is one of the best wide receivers in the league.  The reason he didn't put up big stats last year was because, you know, a receiver needs someone to throw him the ball and the Cards sure didn't have one.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks finished third in their division (ahead of the lol Alex Smiths of course).

Regarding player salaries, I think professional athletics deserve to be millionaires because they are the draw.  The big leagues thrive because people want to see the best players of the sport.  Without those players the NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL have nothing to offer.  These are multi-million dollar businesses and the players deserve a fair sized piece of that pie.  What I don't like is when individual players are overpaid.  I don't like it when rookies who haven't played a game yet get huge contracts and fail to meet expectations.  I don't like it when mid-level players get a big contract from a desperate or stupid team.  I don't like it when superstars clearly half-ass it and have a bad attitude once they've got the money.  And what I REALLY hate are the assholes in every sport that have breakout seasons the year their contract expires, sign for big money based on that one year, and then half-ass it again until the last year of that contract.  You're damn lucky to be so talented at a sport that you can become rich playing it for a living.  Hard work is also involved but no one gets there on hard work alone, you need some natural talent and favourable genetics as well.  If you're going to be so lucky then you better act like a professional - work hard, do your best, maintain a good working relationship with your teammates and the coaching staff, be considerate to the fans, and don't act like a fucking asshole.  Of course what percentage of professional athletes follow that?  Maybe 25%?

Though odds are you know someone who makes more money than you do and you don't feel they really deserve it.  That's a part of life, even if it doesn't seem fair.  So no matter what, there are going to be overpaid athletes.

Offline noname2200

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
Ochocinco and Haynesworth both heading to the Pats. And the Pats fans I knew were complaining yesterday about how boring free agency had been...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:33 PM »
Well, after getting rid of Moss I guess the Pats had an opening at douche.

Still, that's gonna be some tough competition.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
So no matter what, there are going to be overpaid athletes.

Yeah, like all of them.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
To be fair, not all. The TOP player in the National Lacrosse League (the top level indoor lacrosse league) is only $25K a year, the average is $14K. So most lacrosse players either also compete in Major League Lacrosse (which is outdoor lacrosse) or have non-sports jobs as well.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20