Author Topic: Creative Outlets while we are at home to enjoy and be passionate about!!  (Read 2180 times)

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
So it has been a month since the US has taken this pandemic seriously and we have been social distancing for about a month since a good majority of the members here are in the US. This topic is for everyone though and it will be about what hobbies, projects, distractions to take you mind off the pandemic.   

It is also a topic for any media where you can post creative things you can do to keep yourself occupied with something. Be it painting, organizing your house, donating to a cause you care about or as to be expected what games you have been enjoying.

So I guess I will start....I have been organizing my room again and getting in touch with my creative side again.    I don't think I have talked about this side of me since I have been on this forum so here goes.    When I was younger I did lots of projects with wood burning with a soldering iron.  I also did some charcoal,  Acrylic and water color painting.  I also used color pencils with drawings mainly with traditional media.  I don't get digital art. Just how to do it and do it well.  One other aspect I don't think I have mentioned very often is I love to play sports like basketball, baseball and swimming when I was younger.  I was on some youth leagues when I was younger but nowadays I just do it for fun.   

So yeah what have you been doing to keep your mental health up or just for fun in this time?  Oh also feel free to share any media that we can do so we can keep ourselves occupied in this time.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
I enjoy playing board games. Although I haven't been able to play against my friends very much, my kids have been a captive audience looking for things to do... so it's been a good opportunity to play with them (although mostly just on weekends).

There are a bunch of online options for playing board games too... but I haven't had the time/energy to try that out yet. There is something about the direct interpersonal actions that seems like it would be lost there anyway.

Minor rant, mostly off-topic so I'm going to spoiler it.

One thing that amazes me about this whole situation is how varied the situations are that people have to deal with, and how the effects on day-to-day life are so wildly altered.

For me, the stay-at-home order has left me with considerably less free time. My job can be done remotely, so has no decrease in daily responsibility; same for my wife. This is despite becoming teachers/best friends/daycare providers/etc for our kids which makes us less efficient that usual. The evening activities that my kids used to attend have mostly been replaced with online versions; this generally means I need to provide more hands-on involvement during that time to help them (sometimes with the activities, sometimes as tech support). Once they are in bed, I typically need to work again and clean up details that weren't completed during the day.

We're one of the lucky families. Money and job security aren't issues, which is awesome. But sometimes I get envious of people who complain about "too much free time". With books, video games, musical instruments, and exercise equipment available to me at home, I would love to have more free time than I do now. Since the lockdown started, I haven't spent any time with video games or music. It makes me sad to not know when that will change. And the idea of being able to focus solely on caring for my kids instead of always splitting time between them and work... what a luxury that would be!

Obviously situations are different for other people depending on their home unit (living with friends, parents, kids, etc) and employment status (working from home, working outside, not working but still getting paid, losing your job, etc). Sometimes it's hard to stay aware and sympathetic of all the ways that lives have been affected instead of focusing on my own situation.
NNID: ejamer

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Finished putting together a really cool project with my son today: Pinbox 3000.  It's basically a pinball machine made out of cardboard. We still need to add some obstacles and decoration, but it's coming along really well and is "playable" now.

As a pinball fan, these kits are really neat. They cost about $50 each, but have swappable surfaces so you can create two different layouts with each kit. The design is really solid, and goes together quite easily. They also last nicely (my daughter has one already that she built a few years ago) although you will need to replace some rubber bands over time.

Not sure if it helps people to talk about this now, since I don't know if you can order them during the pandemic or not, but it's been cathartic to build something together, and see the results. The fact that now he gets to decorate it and plan out his customized pinball machine is icing on the cake.

Eat your heart out, Labo!
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
That is a really cool project for you and your son. It can get your creativity flowing.  I have been trying to organize my room more and get part of it set up for working out at home.  I have also been trying to figure out an workout routine for me.  I have  small bar bell weights, a balance ball, jump rope and a yoga mat.  I am sure I will come up with something.   
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.