Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192426 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #850 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »
And, I'm very glad to hear that chick from Modern Family is of age. I was having a serious problem with myself for finding her so delectable at what I imagined was a young age. I notice they're using more adults to play children, the chick on No Ordinary Family has been around for awhile in some small roles (at least I've only seen her in such) and her character is around the same age as Cutie McCute Cute on Modern Family.

yep, Kay Panabaker (No Ordinary Family) is 20 years old
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0659048/

She looks likes she's 16 in No Ordinary Family. She's cute anyway. What's worse is that in episode 5 there were 2 of her friends that definitely looked like they were not from high school. By the way, is the dad from No Ordinary Family the same guy that played Thing from the Fantastic Four movies?

Edit: LOL Yeah, he is. Go figure why he's playing that role...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:59:15 PM by Caliban »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 31, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »
Dare I say that I liked the Evangelion series and first movie? It was weird, and the story arced (sp?) strangely, but having watched the series twice the beginning explains the end in a strange fashion.

I haven't heard about a reboot movie, but I didn't like the Escaflowne (still my favorite all time anime series) movie which was basically a reboot of the series, or just blatantly incongruent which caught me wildly off guard.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 31, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
I have to second Broodwars suggestion. The reboot has made the original NGE pretty much obsolete. The last 1/4 of the original is BS and the movie they made to show the "real" ending was even more BS. I don't mind a touch of mysticism or psychology, but they went off the deep, then off a cliff. It was Southland Tales before Southland Tales.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: November 01, 2010, 12:26:34 AM »
the walking dead- wishes do come true
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: November 01, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »
Six Feet Under - The Entire Series

What a sad sad ending. Everything in this show just continually gets more and more depressing and complex. There were points when I wanted to stop watching, mostly somewhere near the end of the 3rd season and beginning of the 4th, but the 5th season was pretty damn interesting. It's still a trip to see Dexter as an openly Gay man and being the girl in his relationship (PMSing from time to time), but he played the role so damn well along with most everyone in the show. It was really good for what it was and if you like a good drama with interesting characters, this is a series worth checking out.

I have to admit that the death in the beginning of every episode stopped having a point and became just a signature act. there was almost no point to in throughout almost the entire 5th season and probably most of the 4th too.

I give the series as a whole an 8/10

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #855 on: November 01, 2010, 01:56:26 AM »
God, I started hating that show the longer I watched it. Almost too depressing and melodramatic. NOBODY on that show is happy. Despite this, I couldn't stop watching it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 01, 2010, 03:40:36 AM »
It seriously got to the point where you started expecting the worse to happen, and the minute it sounds like something may be going someones way, you can almost guess what is gonna **** it up.... well not really guess, but you know that something is gonna happen to take the wind out of anybodys potentially happy content sails. They all live under an eternal storm cloud, but yes the show was quite addicting. But to be honest, I never would have finished it if it wasn't for the fact that my girl really liked the show.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #857 on: November 01, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
I've been meaning to check out Six Feet Under. I don't do the Netflix thing, but this series and others have me contemplating signing up.

How about last night's Dexter?
**Spoiler Alert**
Very nearly gets caught, covers up two murders while giving Deb a good case to wrap up in light of the Fuentes brothers 'failures', the Batista/Laguerta story arc wrapped up in a nice way, Quinn very nearly said 'I love you' to Deb (and the scenes from next weeks episode make it look like he does love her, to the point he may want to call off the disgraced cop), and the back and forth between Dexter and Lumen at the warehouse was freaking hilarious! I actually missed a few lines (before rewinding cuz I love me some Tivo) because I was laughing so much. It seems that in relying on Dexter, Lumen is coming to trust him; she let him touch her face, and didn't completely freak out when he was watching her in the tub, so she could turn into his new love interest, but I'm hoping that either they make a significant amount of time pass before their relationship is known, she dies before that, or gets caught before that (fingerprints on the hose nozzle) and exonerated because of what was done to her, perhaps even make Dexter a hero for freeing her before their relationship starts, for the sake of honoring Rita.

Anyone watching Boardwalk Empire? As a New Jersian I was hoping this show to be good, but it started off painfully slow, I missed two episode (I think 4 & 5) then I got back into it and it's pretty good so far, and last night's episode was particularly good. I like the soldier's returning from war aspect, hopefully it'll shed some more light on the fact that we're still facing the exact same problems today.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 01, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
Dexter last night was great.
Masuka FTMFW Autoerotic Mummification!!!? where does he come up with this ****?
is that even something real? *loads up Google Search :P: *

but that one wrapped up a little too nice.
I'm not sure how you explain the blood trail and the phone thing and the lack of blood at the scene of the death even though "plastic man shot the other guy while being choked", but I guess that's why they faded out Masukas explanation of what happened. and Dexter responds with "The blood is consistent with Masukas theory" when he supposedly wouldn't have seen any of the blood because it's all in the warehouse, not at the scene of the death.

But finally an episode that I didn't think was just mediocre. Dexter and Lumen were great. Bautista actually surprised me. But I still don't trust Quinn(I have not seen next weeks previews) because I think he is playing Deb and their whole affair is a bullet train with no brakes heading down hill while carrying explosives on a track that dead ends at a cliff.

I'm also watching Boardwalk Empire, but I still need to watch the last 2 episodes. I like the show, but I never watch it on Sundays, usually in the middle of the middle of the week after a few episodes have gone by. I usually have to play catch up. Last episode I saw was that hooker getting her face slashed and then killing herself.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:41:46 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:16 AM »
I'm also watching Boardwalk Empire, but I still need to watch the last 2 episodes. I like the show, but I never watch it on Sundays, usually in the middle of the middle of the week after a few episodes have gone by. I usually have to play catch up. Last episode I saw was that hooker getting her face slashed and then killing herself.

The 2 episodes after that were great. Don't miss out.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 02, 2010, 09:33:45 PM »
Yeah, I was surprised at how easily Masuka filled in the blanks for Dexter's set up, and the funny thing is, when they investigate the guy Dexter was going to kill before Lumen interrupted him, he was into homo-erotic fantasies. Also, Lumen's fingerprints are probably still on the hose nozzle Masuka made a point of telling everyone not to touch and the guy Lumen wanted to kill is connected to Boyd who is a missing city worker, so this might not have wrapped up as easily as they want us to believe.

The episode of Boarwalk Empire with hooker getting her face slashed, is actually the one that convinved me to give the series another try.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #861 on: November 03, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »
I'm finally watching Battlestar Galactica. I'm on the third episode after the miniseries. Good stuff so far, I like their depiction of a future with FTL travel and advanced robots alongside neckties, dry erase boards and wired telephones.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 03, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »
I'm finally watching Battlestar Galactica. I'm on the third episode after the miniseries. Good stuff so far, I like their depiction of a future with FTL travel and advanced robots alongside neckties, dry erase boards and wired telephones.

My advice is to watch to the end of Season 2 and just stop.  Though the show did have standout episodes after that point, to me the show stopped being "fun" after Season 2 and started trying to be "about something" and just turned pretentious.  IMO, the show went downhill after Season 2.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 03, 2010, 01:50:46 PM »
You can't just stop at that point. Season 2 ends with a massive cliffhanger; I don't think you can just walk away without seeing how it's resolved. Also, my favorite episode of the series, the Exodus two-parter, happens a few episodes into season 3.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 03, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
Haha yeah Masuka's little charades was hysterical, as was Lumen and Dexter fighting. Great episode can't wait to see how it all ends.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #865 on: November 03, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
Yeah I'm positive I will watch the whole thing. I don't mind when shows try to be "about something". It might annoy me but it'd be worse to not have the story finished.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 06, 2010, 01:33:31 AM »
I just finished watching the first season of Community. It started off a little slow. I was enjoying it, but I didn't find that I was laughing very often. By the fourth episode though, things really started clicking and it just kept getting better every episode after that. The cast chemistry is really great. I feel like it is difficult for a cast of seven main characters to be fair to each one, but I really felt like there was no weak link in the line up. At some point in the series every character had moments that I enjoyed or found funny. Highlights for me were the chicken finger mafia episode, the paint ball episode and Allison Brie's cleavage in the debate episode. I look forward to season two.     4/5
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 13, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
Misfits - 9/10

It's a UK show about some young adults that have to do community service and get struck by lightning and get some sort of "super" power. It's only a 6 episode first season, but every episode is good. Everyone that gets affected by the storm seemed to be affected by how they felt at the time of the storm..... all except for one guy who can't seem to figure out why he didn't get a super power. He also happens to be the comic relief of the series and a total and complete fuckin prick. The characters are so good but there is one chick whose accent is so horrid that I can't help but make fun of her. High recommendations for this one... If you can figure out how to watch it.

edit: S2 just started too and so far so good except why would there be a pipe like that in the locker room? that makes no sense.

and this is one of the many reasons why I like to watch this show:

and here is where you can try to watch the show:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od#3009365

and this is the shows website:
http://www.e4.com/misfits/index.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:53:26 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 13, 2010, 10:07:42 PM »
Well, we're 9 episodes into Clone Wars: Season 1.5 (aka "Season 3") and the show just continues to find new ways to suck, the latest episode having the romance between an effeminate Hutt and that long-mouthed alien singer from Jabba's palace as a central part of the story.  Yeah...it's like Lucasfilm is going out of their way to try to kill any awesomeness this show acquired towards the end of Season 1 and Season 2.   :@

A show that is not sucking at the moment, though, is Disney's Avengers cartoon.  You might remember that I was very critical of this show, and I don't believe I was wrong in the slightest for finding the early episodes mediocre.  However, 10 episodes in the show seems to be settling into a comfortable groove and we're starting to see some genuinely good character interaction and some decent fight scenes.  Honestly, it reminds me a lot of the first season of Justice League: very rough and generic early on, but gradually things are beginning to gel and the writing is getting better.  Check it out if you're into Superhero animation.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:12 AM »
A show that is not sucking at the moment, though, is Disney's Avengers cartoon.  You might remember that I was very critical of this show, and I don't believe I was wrong in the slightest for finding the early episodes mediocre.  However, 10 episodes in the show seems to be settling into a comfortable groove and we're starting to see some genuinely good character interaction and some decent fight scenes.  Honestly, it reminds me a lot of the first season of Justice League: very rough and generic early on, but gradually things are beginning to gel and the writing is getting better.  Check it out if you're into Superhero animation.

Glad to see you've come around :)

It might help to know that there have only really been 5 episodes so far in the main story, and the other 5 were introductory episodes that were originally 5 minutes long, and then compiled into full episodes after the series official launch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Avengers:_Earth's_Mightiest_Heroes_episodes

They have a summary of the next episode there as well... I was disappointed to read despite knowing that it had to be coming eventually.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: November 14, 2010, 06:44:28 PM »
Misfits - 9/10

It's a UK show about some young adults that have to do community service and get struck by lightning and get some sort of "super" power. It's only a 6 episode first season, but every episode is good. Everyone that gets affected by the storm seemed to be affected by how they felt at the time of the storm..... all except for one guy who can't seem to figure out why he didn't get a super power. He also happens to be the comic relief of the series and a total and complete fuckin prick. The characters are so good but there is one chick whose accent is so horrid that I can't help but make fun of her. High recommendations for this one... If you can figure out how to watch it.

edit: S2 just started too and so far so good except why would there be a pipe like that in the locker room? that makes no sense.

and this is one of the many reasons why I like to watch this show:

and here is where you can try to watch the show:
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od#3009365

and this is the shows website:
http://www.e4.com/misfits/index.html

I just wanted to temp all of you into checking this show out one more time.

The scene that makes the other chick such a draw to this show
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0t2YVRHAZY&feature=related

^just watch it^

p.s. NSFW
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:46:12 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 14, 2010, 08:49:32 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is watching No Ordinary Family?

The title sucks, and I am worried that it'll turn into another Heroes, but right now they're doing a good job of combining family drama, super powers, and suspensful intrigue. On those three fonts I would say the show is working because none of them are taking the front seat, and are instead sharing it.

Every episode so far has shown their typical year 2000+ family issues, the advancing of their powers, and given small pieces of the overall picture of what's going on in the world around them and the mystery of their powers. Not so much on that last part in the most recent episode actually, but I would recomend this show and it's on Hulu, so you can watch the 1st episode and decide.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 14, 2010, 08:58:37 PM »
Ever since teh son has come out to his family the show has gotten better. They dragged that on for too long and it was really working my nerves. I'm really liking the show so far though and after the last episode, you can really see the family starting to accept that they are different but that they can use it to be a better family and not just a family of freaks.

the show I linked above (Misfits) is better though.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:38 AM »
after the miniseries.

I just realized that I have been misreading the word, "miniseries" my entire life, and for some reason I thought it meant something entirely different than, "mini-series."
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 15, 2010, 04:58:07 AM »
Dexter

This is the best show on television. It's always been on the up and up with few disappointments. Can't wait for next weeks episode!
black fairy tales are better at sports