Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186598 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »
TNG's first two seasons are absolute drivel. They didn't get into the meat of the series until the third season, though parts of the second season are pretty great. My absolute favorite Star Trek episodes are from TNG, so it ranks right up there for me. Several stand out:

1) Data is on trial for being a toaster (not a joke--it's a great episode)
2) Moriarty escapes! It has one helluva twist.
3) The one where Counselor Troi is taken over by some dead woman's slutty spirit and winds up basically topless because she has a sheer nighty on and nothing else (ON NATIONAL TV, NO LESS) (and DVD). The episode is crap, but that scene is awesome.
4) THE BORG!
5) The final episode is pretty incredible, seriously.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2010, 03:00:48 PM »
If I were making a list of the top 10 Star Trek episodes ever, TNG episodes would probably make up half of it, or close to it. After that top tier, though, the quality drops off fast.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
The first season of TNG was horrible, easily the worst of any season of any Trek show. There are TNG episodes, but it is my second least favorite Trek (I would rank them DS9, ENT, VOY, TNG, TOS; I have never seen TAS).

I wish more people had watched ENT, the Xindi arc that took up the whole third season was great (it was the same reason I loved the Dominion War that was the focus of the last 3 seasons of DS9). Season 4 gave us episodes to help bridge it with the other series (like the two part "In a Mirror, Darkly", the episode that finally explained why the Klingons of TOS looked so different than future Klingons, etc.).

BTW, I am so glad that after season 2 of TNG they realized that Trek fans do not want clip shows; the season finale of season 2 was a freaking clip show.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »
I watched Voyager, but i found the show lacking something, obviously maybe because it was on at the same time as DS9, and DS9 was awesome. I woulld have watched more  Enterprise, but it was never on at a good time and then it became unavailable in my area.

also, TAS is surprisingly good. I caught several episodes on netflix, and its entertaining in the same way the Twilight Zone is still entertaining. Not to mention that they have remastered the series, and despite the bright 60s colors it doesnt come off as camp and cheezy because of this. So, make sure you watch the remastered version. I think episodes are available on CBS.com too.

NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2010, 05:23:16 PM »
There are some great Original Series episodes, but more than half the series is completely unwatchable. "The City on the Edge of Forever" is one of the best Trek episodes ever, though, and a truly great sci-fi story.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
yeah, i read the episode description before i watched them...and i picked good ones. I dont have netflix anymore, and i havent checked it out on cbs.com yet. So, i have yet to see a terrible episode. I watched about 6-8 episodes or so.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 24, 2010, 05:52:30 PM »
And before someone mentions Deep Space Nine, yes that series was great as well...in its final 2-3 years when they decided to stop screwing around with the Dominion War and actually tell that story.

The entire Klingon Arc in Season 4 was to do with Paramount saying they needed to shake up the story.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 24, 2010, 05:58:44 PM »
And on the note of SGU, i liked the finale but i still don't connect to the characters yet.

Not sure why.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 24, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
SGU is forced on you

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 24, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
SGU is forced on you

How do you mean?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 24, 2010, 11:28:24 PM »
as far as shows of its type, its all there is. If DS9 were new episodes and just had came out..which would you watch?

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 24, 2010, 11:55:17 PM »
DS9 and SGU do have some similarities. However early seasons of DS9 was no where as cohesive as SGU, at least not until the much later seasons. Even then you had episodes that had nothing to do with the big arc of the season.

If DS9 came out now and assuming I never got burned by Enterprise, I would watch it, but I would still be pissed off with the heavy handed religious rubbish that permeated that show.

Both SGU and later seasons of DS9 feel "real". With DS9 you had visits back to Earth where is it a garden of Eden, but going back to the station felt more like the real world. You still had the technology and the thinking that made earthly utopia possible, however it's is warped by the outside world to something more practical. Then you had section 13, which quite literally should have earned it's own spin off. Eden was good but not perfect as it needed dark men in the shadows to defend it from all who threaten it, internal or  external.

I would love to see a new Star Trek show based on Section 13. How much blood would you spill to protect Heaven?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 25, 2010, 08:11:20 AM »
SGU has a feeling of realness, partly to do with the Stargate universe taking place at realtime - hence all of Season 1 took place in late 2009/early 2010.

I liked the religious angle in DS9 because its the opposite of what we know takes place in stargate. In the Star Trek universe its generally assumed there is no gods of any sort. But then we become aware of the Prophets who are gods almost, and can bend the rules as they see fit. It breaks established rules in the universe and does a lot to set it apart. They did spend a lot of time in Bajoran religion but that was the main context of the show. A lot of the more religious episodes i deliberately skipped.

In stargate there is assumed to be gods because earth culture (egyptian, medieval, i think aztec) was based on aliens coming to earth with their technology who built/wrote/told things based upon it.

The best episode of Season 1 SGU was Time simply because what it achieved was incredible. It was a triumph of how you can make interesting episodes about time travel yet be bold enough to deliberately playw ith your head and not neatly tie up the episode either.

To be fair if they were on now i'd be watching both of them. DS9 Season 1 was a wibbly mess and it only started to pick up from Season 3 onwards when they started knuckling down into the characters.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #513 on: June 25, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »
First two episodes of the new season of "Bullsh*t!" (fast food and martial arts)

I love this show, although sometimes Penn comes off as a little angry. They're covering vaccines this season, which I'm REALLY looking forward to, although I imagine the people who need to hear it won't listen.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (disk 1 of season 1)

Not sure what to think yet. The production values are just as high as the original, most of the original cast is back, and there are some subtle changes in terms of characterization that I'm finding interesting. HOWEVER...it's the same show. According to Wikipedia, the original anime didn't break with the manga until after the brothers go back to re-train with their teacher. That's aways away.

I feel like I should just wait until THAT season comes out, then start there.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 25, 2010, 02:08:46 PM »
First two episodes of the new season of "Bullsh*t!" (fast food and martial arts)

I love this show, although sometimes Penn comes off as a little angry. They're covering vaccines this season, which I'm REALLY looking forward to, although I imagine the people who need to hear it won't listen.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (disk 1 of season 1)

Not sure what to think yet. The production values are just as high as the original, most of the original cast is back, and there are some subtle changes in terms of characterization that I'm finding interesting. HOWEVER...it's the same show. According to Wikipedia, the original anime didn't break with the manga until after the brothers go back to re-train with their teacher. That's aways away.

I feel like I should just wait until THAT season comes out, then start there.

Like I said, the story diverges around episode 15, where the anime finally puts the brakes on after all the speeding it's been doing through rehashed material.  The brothers will be back with Izumi by the end of your set, so you'll be there before you know it.  And by the way, that's Disc 1 of Season 1 Part 1.   :P:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2010, 02:37:46 PM »
OMG. I never thought they would do a season 4, but they have. The IT Crowd. I'm so happy. I was chuckling all the way through episode 1.

By the way. Has anyone else seen the latest True Blood episode, episode 3? That was some fucked up **** at the end. Really fucked up.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:35:05 AM by Caliban »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:13 PM »
By the way. Has anyone else seen the latest True Blood episode, episode 3? That was some fucked up **** at the end. Really fucked up.

The scene with Bill?
yeah I saw that.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 29, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
Underbelly: 9/10 It's an Australian TV show that I pick up on BitTorrent and is also available on DirecTV, but not as current.

Great show! The thing I love best about it is that each season is different, and each season is based on a true story about the "Underbelly" of Aussie society. The third season has concluded and while not as great as seasons 1 and 2, it was still better than most of the crap on American TV. It's not your typical 'gangsta' stories, because 1. They are true stories, and 2. It's not American TV. Check it out.

Oh, and I liked the 1st season of TNG. Two Q episodes, we're introduced to Lore, and in another episode you get to see Lt. Yar's side boob right before she has sex with Data... CLASSIC! Sure the season as a whole was not as fluid as later seasons, but 'drivel' seems a little harsh considering that without the first two seasons, the rest of the show could not have taken place.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #518 on: June 29, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
There were some good episodes in the first two seasons, but the majority were terrible IMO. Some of the particularly bad ones that pop to mind include the one where Yar is kidnapped by this species that look and act like they are from 19th century Africa (you wonder how they even have warp drive), the episode where Yar was killed by a tar monster (which looked worse than even TOS's special effects), the episode where two Klingons try to take over Enterprise, and the episode where Troi becomes pregnant. I also did not like the second Q episode (where Riker is given the powers of a Q). I did like that Lore episode though.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
i liked that Q episode where Riker gets powers, most Twilight Zone/ TOS/ Lost in Space episode i can think of.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 30, 2010, 04:25:21 AM »
Underbelly: 9/10 It's an Australian TV show that I pick up on BitTorrent and is also available on DirecTV, but not as current.

Great show! The thing I love best about it is that each season is different, and each season is based on a true story about the "Underbelly" of Aussie society. The third season has concluded and while not as great as seasons 1 and 2, it was still better than most of the crap on American TV. It's not your typical 'gangsta' stories, because 1. They are true stories, and 2. It's not American TV. Check it out.

I can't believe I just read that.  Season 3 has been on TV for a couple of months now.  Or something like that anyway.  Now I have never watched it, so I won't criticize it.  It is given lots of praise here, but we Aussies must be pretty easy to please considering the other junk they call australian TV.  ANY other Australian show is absolute junk.  I can't stand it.  As soon as I see "New Australian Show" on an ad, that's my cue to avoid it like the plague and turn back over to NCIS, or Bones or something.

I might add that I am talking about my own countrymen television here, so I'm not biased.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:27:06 AM by Shorty McNostril »

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #521 on: July 07, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »
Second-to-last disk of Daria: 9/10

This may be MTV's best, most well-written TV show ever. It's a shame it's gone, and it's a shame these DVD's couldn't afford th licensed music that was originally on the show. Still, it's barely noticable because the writing and animation are so good. The show is wrapping up (the last disk has the two "movies") nicely--characters are maturing and Daria has a steady boyfriend. In fact, it's becoming apparent who ISN'T changing: Daria's father and Sandy are more annoying now than they were before, because everyone around them is maturing while they remain cardboard cutout characters.

Even Stacy is standing up to Sandy now, which is pretty big.

I'll be sad to see the show go, but I'm excited to see how the last two "movie" episodes wrap everything up.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »
Just watched SGU Time. Holy hell that was brutal and is some of the best Sci-fi I have ever seen. I went back several times just to watch Chole die by bug. It's easily the strongest first season episode of any sci-fi. I would expect to see such a awesome episode at the end of a series.

The Rush/Eli combo continues to really carry the show through the rough spots like water/earth. I really like Greer.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2010, 09:44:55 PM »
I think that Greer, Eli, and Young are great. I feel that all the other characters are just annoying, and the only eye candy on screen for me is Ms. James.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 10, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »
Eureka's back. Oh man, what a great episode.