Author Topic: Mario Baseball  (Read 4310 times)

Offline trip1eX

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario Baseball
« on: October 10, 2005, 07:21:16 AM »
Where's the love?

This is a very enjoyable title.  IT's a fun party game and it's fun single player as well.  A couple of the minigames are a blast to play with a friend.  The homerun one and especially the barrel game.  

IT's my kind of game because it's easy to pick up and play yet has depth and lots of room to get better.  And it also sports a very smooth frame rate, lots of polish all around and let's you play a quick baseball game.

You know I like that the game just gets down to the nitty gritty.  You aren't sitting their watching your guys walk from the dugout.  You aren't waiting for the game to switch back to the pitcher view after the opponent gets out or gets on base.  It's quick.  

I like sports games but some of them just drag the game out but showing too much extra details.  Tiger Woods and Madden come to mind.  This game is just good pure arcade fun.  Unless you'remaking a career out of sport gaming this is the title to play.

The animations are great.  The hitting is fun and same with pitching.  The fielding, throwing and running isn't as fun as noted in many reviews.  However I think most of them exagerate the annoyances.

Offline CardBoardBox

• Official Forum Blast Processor
    • View Profile
RE: Mario Baseball
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 01:55:31 PM »
I have to say, for a non-sports game fanatic like me, I was pleased.  I usually enjoy all the mario sports (ONLY LOVE FOR MARIO TENNIS)  I played this briefly at a friends house *cough* KN *cough*  and found it fun, and just as you said, it was not annoying due to the lack of long cut scenes  Although personally i am not, and will not get addicted to this one, it is fun to pick up and play when there is nothing else to do.  

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 12:14:08 AM »
Where's the Love? More like no one cares about Baseball and where is Mario Cricket?
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 12:25:32 AM »
Also, Mario Handball.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:28:12 AM »
Mario Handball on Revolution = hottest thing EVER.

I must admit I hate Baseball but this game looks damn fun,  (I actually like Football but Mario Smash Football doesn't interest me as much) i'll get it if it's released in Australia and doesn't cost $100.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
RE:Mario Baseball
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 01:59:03 PM »
Actually judging from the sales numbers I guess there was lots of love.  Just not alot on this site.  

I was just playing that barrel mini-game again with a bud.  It's darn addicting.  Reason:  Almost every game comes down to the wire because one good shot can make or break you.  

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 06:09:37 AM »
I personally think the game is good and solid,  it's major flaw is the feilding and the feilding AI. I enjoy the simplicity and I'm happy Namco didn't do the stupid circle in the batting zone system I hate those. Some of the minigames are fun such as the barrels, and the "red light green light"  game while you collect the gems and you use X and Y to run.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 10:53:34 AM »
I enjoy the Mario sports games, but not enough to buy many of them...and this one gets knocked down to the bottom of my list mainly because I suck at playing real-life baseball so I never took to the sport.  Something about hitting a moving, smallish ball with a stick taxes my already shakey physical coordination past its limits.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 11:44:18 AM »
But judging from your avatar, you seem to be in great physical condition.  I think you're being too hard on yourself.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 08:13:17 AM »
Well the only Mario Sport I will never touch is Mario Golf because out of the other ones I think its always the least fun.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
Well the only Mario Sport I will never touch is Mario Golf because out of the other ones I think its always the least fun.

En garde.

Mario Golf is great fun.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »
I love Mario Golf too..in fact, although I find Golf to be a more boring sport than Baseball, I enjoy it more in videogame form.  Mario mini-golf sucked away many hours for my sister and her friends.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2005, 09:23:54 AM »
Mario Golf rocks!  All of the Mario sports titles do!  Mini-Golf was indeed awesome, I really wish it was put into Toadstool Tour...

I have a feeling it will return once again in Mario Golf Revolution though ^_^
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 04:23:04 PM »
I love Toadstool Tour. I guess the birdie put is sort of like the Mini-golf, but harder. I don't know how long it took me to birdie all 18, but it was a long time...
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 08:50:02 PM »
I love Toadstool Tour after getting the hang of the physics.  My left-handed Daisy's gotten a good share of success lately in multiplayer.  Last weekend, we played that one Par-5 sea-side level that has the island shaped like a whale in the middle of the bay, and Daisy got an Eagle off a 30-ft put!

THEN SHE DID JUMPING JACKS

THAT SOOOOOOOOOOOO :ROCKED!:
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 09:21:42 AM »
Hey, can anyone describe to me how the 4 player works in mario baseball?  Is one person just dedicated to the field and you switch off batting?  I'm kind of confused...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 11:05:55 AM »
It's easy.  There is no 4-player baseball.  Only 2-player, adversarial.

Only minigames (aka practice tools) support 3 or more players.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 11:31:21 AM »
Except for the four player mode.  Sure, it's not a regular game, and it's little more than a mini-game, but it's not in the same category on the menu

I forgot what the mode's called, but basically when someone bats, wherever the ball lands will give them special coin bonuses.  Most coins at the end wins.  It's surprisingly fun and it supports up to four people.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2005, 01:21:58 PM »
That's Toy Field.  We all hate that game cuz the "weak" CPU players manage to win everytime (3 human players).

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 05:44:12 AM »
This or Strikers?  I'm not a baseball fan or a soccer fan, but both games look hysterically fun.  I realize Strikers isn't out, but maybe someone who went to E3 or Fusion Tour can throw me a bone.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2005, 08:36:11 AM »
There are demos out in stores now, go see for yourself.

With the few minutes I had with Strikers it seemed much more fun.  Both are great games, but in terms of speed Strikers and Superstar are polar opposites- Strikers is surprisingly fast, Superstar is more relaxed.  Whichever floats your boat.