Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Backlaugust 2021: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo

<< < (17/18) > >>

Khushrenada:

--- Quote from: Mop it up on September 01, 2021, 05:53:53 PM ---You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

--- End quote ---

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

--- Quote ---Perhaps you, RABicle, and me should form our own super team next year, just majorly crush all these schlubs. Maybe see if we can get Luigi Dude going again too, then we'd really be nigh unbeatable!

--- End quote ---

Hahaha, YES! We'll take on the whole internet and win!!!!

Mop it up:
Even if we don't count Quake, you'd still have to come up with excuses to disqualify two other games, and even then, that'd just be a tie!

Yeah, people have made that same argument before to count August new releases, and it does make a certain amount of sense. But I don't make the rules, I just, uh... something... with them.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on September 01, 2021, 06:46:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mop it up on September 01, 2021, 05:53:53 PM ---You're right, I should have worded it as "first release" since re-releases are allowed. But it's too late, now it looks like backpedaling! Oops!

--- End quote ---

It's a good thing I'm even less of a stickler and say a person should be able to count any game and any version so long as they haven't played it yet before. So, if you bought a game in July or August 31 and beat it before the month was over, I say it can still count because you are keeping it out of your backlog instead of adding to it. Likewise, if a person beat Kirby's DreamLand 3 on their Super Nintendo years ago but then beat KDL3 for the first time in something like Kirby's 25th Anniversary Collection for Wii during August then I say that counts as well.  8)  Basically, I'm cool with you counting Quake for your month's totals if you want to. I just like to take the Waluigi Defense and claim that "everyone's cheating" if I'm not number one.  ;D

--- End quote ---

Well, if that's how you want to roll, then add Tormented Souls to my count, a game that came out last Friday and I beat over the weekend. :P

I actually started playing Deadly Premonition 2 in the final few days of August, but there was no way in hell I was going to wrap that by the end of August. Likewise, I put a few days' worth of progress into the PS5 version of Hades in August, but I haven't had a successful run yet.

Luigi Dude:

--- Quote from: Khushrenada on August 25, 2021, 07:05:04 PM ---I'm just waiting for Luigi Dude to show up in the next day or two and post about how he's completed a whole bunch of older games like the Mega Man series via anniversary collections.

--- End quote ---

I actually played both Mega Man Classic Collections back in April, of course they wouldn't have counted anyway since I've already beaten all 10 of those games.  But your predictions isn't too far from what I tried to do.  My plan was to play R-Type 1+2 on the R-Type Dimensions for Switch and then play all the Gradius game on the Konami Arcade Collection.  R-Type 1 in particular I've been trying to beat since I first played the TurboGrafx version on the Wii Virtual Console back in 2007 but I not been able too.

Sadly, I've spent the last 2 weeks on just R-Type 1 and still haven't been able to beat it.  Now I could just the Infinite setting on Dimensions which would respawn my ship after I die so I could just brute force my way, but that's the easy way out.  I need to beat it on the Classic setting for me to finally be satisfied.  Now yesterday I almost came close, but made a stupid mistake on the second to last level and was too tired to continue.

For the entire month I did complete two games earlier in it that were on my Switch backlog.

Cosmic Star Heroine

Was a fun indie RPG that's a nice call back to 16-bit games like Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star.  The battle system was pretty engaging and I liked the setting.  The story was pretty generic and the character not very deep, but for an RPG that took less then 20 hours to 100%, I didn't mind.  Of course I think the developers ran out money toward the end since the last planet you visit is noticeably shorter then the previous ones.  The gameplay also kind of falls about since they give you 2 ridiculously over powered characters, and the main characters gains some abilities that are completely broken around this time as well.  Outside of the optional Hard dungeon, (which I really enjoyed since it was fun figuring out how to make the most overpowered attacks I could to beat the super strong enemies), the rest was a cakewalk after this point.  Still, as a throwback to older RPG's, the overall game was pretty fun.

Onimusha Remastered

I remember back in High School a friend of mine telling me this series was like Resident Evil except with Demons, and now I see why.  I tried to like the old school Resident Evil games back then but just couldn't because of the tank controls.  That's one of the reasons I loved Resident Evil 4 so much because the changes to the controls finally made the series playable to me.  The first Onimusha for the PS2 had those pre-RE4 tank controls, which I didn't like but the Remaster that I played on Switch does let you use analog controls so the game was instantly more playable.  Of course the problem is the analog controls completely broke the difficulty so the overall game ended up being pretty easy.  Still I enjoyed the setting and atmosphere so it was an overall enjoyable experience.

Of course what the **** was up with that water puzzle?  The remaster could have at least put a checkpoint right before that, or at the very least give the ability to skip cutscenes.  Almost stopped playing because of how BS that part of the game was.

So overall not a lot of backlog cleared, but part of that is because I was playing Blaster Master Zero 3 at the beginning of the month which was a new game, and my Captain Ahab obsession with finally completely R-Type 1 and total failure to do so during these last 2 weeks.  Of course trying to beat R-Type 1 has caused me to finally change my sleep cycle to get more sleep at night since anything less then 8 hours and I can't even get halfway through since my reaction time is so dulled.  Hopefully if I can make myself physically healthier, I'll finally beat this game and will be able to beat other harder games a lot quicker as well.

Khushrenada:
I've added Luigi Dude and Broodwar's games to the list. (Although I'm actually not the one running this so I guess pokepal148 can still make the call of whether he thinks Broodwar's last entry of Tormented Souls counts.  :-\ )

One away from 30! (Although if we include Mop it up's ten games then we are 1 away from 40. This whole thing can be very confusing. :o )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version