Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Sitting on the sidelines: PS5 vs XB Series X

<< < (2/8) > >>

NWR_insanolord:
At least the first time around Sony managed to get through two incredibly successful consoles before being done in by their arrogance. They couldn't even get through an entire generation with the PS4 before going back to their "You'll get a second job to pay for it" ways.

Luigi Dude:
What makes it even funnier is a huge reason the PS4 managed to be as successful as it was it because Microsoft and Nintendo completely dropped the ball in 2013.  Sony got to win by default, by not releasing an overpriced system with features nobody wanted like the other two did.

In comparison you now have Nintendo with a system that's only halfway through it's life and hotter then ever, with Microsoft making a lot of inroads to make sure the Xbox One launch disaster wont happen again.  The 2 alternatives are in a much stronger position this time, and yet Sony thinks they're unbeatable just because of how successful the PS4 was.  You'd think after taking a 5 billion loss on the PS3 and the huge drop from PSP to Vita, they should know just how loyal the average consumer truly is.

Of course the fact we haven't seen any games makes me wonder just how ready the next gen systems are.  Even Microsoft talking about how during the first 2 years most games will still have an Xbox One version makes me think most developers aren't ready to make the jump even.  I mean, budgets are still ballooning out of control and the major titles are taking longer then ever to create, it does make you wonder if the industry can even afford to really jump into a new generation.

Ian Sane:

--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on March 27, 2020, 02:07:25 AM ---What makes it even funnier is a huge reason the PS4 managed to be as successful as it was it because Microsoft and Nintendo completely dropped the ball in 2013.  Sony got to win by default, by not releasing an overpriced system with features nobody wanted like the other two did.

--- End quote ---

If you win by fluke you don't learn any lessons.

broodwars:

--- Quote from: Ian Sane on March 27, 2020, 03:28:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Luigi Dude on March 27, 2020, 02:07:25 AM ---What makes it even funnier is a huge reason the PS4 managed to be as successful as it was it because Microsoft and Nintendo completely dropped the ball in 2013.  Sony got to win by default, by not releasing an overpriced system with features nobody wanted like the other two did.

--- End quote ---

If you win by fluke you don't learn any lessons.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't call the PS4 a "fluke", though. There were some very wise decisions made around the PS4's deisgn & its launch, and Sony handled the early years of the PS4 just fine. You can't argue that Sony's 1st party lineup on the PS4 isn't very strong (albeit, IMO, less interesting than the PS3's 1st party lineup).

However, almost all the people who made the PS4 what it was have left the company over the last 2-3 years, and I have no confidence that the people in charge now have any idea what made the PS4 the success that it was.

Kairon:
I might as well get my pricing guesses in before Sony and MS get done playing whatever game of announcement chicken they're playing and relieve the suspense around the topic.

I've seen people guess everything from $300 to $600 but just thinking about the aggressive hardware in the upcoming systems makes me believe that unless MS and Sony are willing to sell at a large loss (MS might be more willing to than Sony), then we're approaching E3 2006 five-hundred-ninety-nine-US-dollars days again. Based on what little we know, I also get the strange feeling that Sony may strangely enough have higher costs despite being slightly weaker on paper in several aspects. Then of course there's MS playing the long game and just wanting people to subscribe to GamePass at any cost...

Right now my thinking is:
PS5 - $549
Xbox SX - $549
PS5 Digital Edition - $499
Xbox SS (Lockhart) - $399

If the prices turn out this way, MS will probably weaponize their GamePass value proposition AND their Xbox Series S / Lockhart price point to attack Sony. I could see them giving away 3-12 months of GamePass to get people onto the service and claim that without buying a game you'd have hundreds to play instantly. This'd put them in a hugely powerful position.

To combat this, Sony would probably try to hype up exclusive PS5 titles that you wouldn't find on Xbox, and try to use marketing to gain the next-gen hardware perception crown by emphasizing how much faster its SSD is... possibly by putting Rachet and Clank front and center. I'm not convinced this would be 100% successful honestly, Nintendo's tried the same thing before, so Sony would really need to do something REALLY extraordinary to be able to gain attention via exclusive software. Sony could also start eating large hardware losses up front and bring their PS5 SKUs in range of the Xbox Series S, but that sort of thing sounds real scary on their pocket book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version